Author Topic: Vinyl rediscovered  (Read 4111 times)

Offline John Rudd

Vinyl rediscovered
« on: December 25, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
Well after more than 25 years I've rediscovered listening to my old LP records.

I bought this http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential-2/proj-essential-2-blk
earlier in the week,( yeah I know I could have spent the money on more toys ' n' stuff)
Spent most of this afternoon listening to my records.....what an amazing sound and the quality is just great....makes a change to listening to CDs .....
Anyone else into Hifi?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Vinyl rediscovered
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
I borrowed my dad's old(ish) record player about half a year ago. It wasn't working, with a part that holds the arm up refusing to let it come down to play a record, so I took it apart to try fix it.

The internals really impressed me, it was almost all mechanical with thin rods leading from the buttons and switches on the front into the mechanics inside. It had features like an automatic return of the needle to the rest, repeating the record, and little pins sticking through the turntable that detected if you had a full sized or a single sized record on it to adjust how far the arm traveled before setting the needle down. I took some photos to help me keep track of what went where.

It was alot of fun figuring out what each part did so I could put whatever was dislodged back in place.

I never got it properly set up though with a mess of wires all over, and one day I snagged on one and it fell of the desk along with the amplifier. The plastic cracked and the arm of the player got badly bent and I decided it wasn't worth trying to repair that. I still feel guilty, even if it was broken to begin with.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do like the... tactility of LPs. Just a shame most of the music I like isn't available on vinyl.

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
Now we've moved, I might get the LPs out, I have a dedicated hifi for them, just need Big enough shelves...
The hifi's quite retro, Dual 5000 turntable, Ortofon cartridge, Arcam amplifier and.the crowning glory, a pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM2 transmission-line speakers ex BBC Radio 3's broadcast monitoring suite (in the 70s!) - with that extra octave to reproduce the 32-foot pipes on cathedral organ recordings....
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Now we've moved, I might get the LPs out, I have a dedicated hifi for them, with that extra octave to reproduce the 32-foot pipes on cathedral organ recordings....

Hmmm....Bach's Toccata and fugue in D minor springs to mind.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:52:17 AM »
Here you go,http://www.ionaudio.com/products/turntables or http://www.ionaudio.co.uk/ turntables that connect to a computer. I have one of their older versions that worked great when I was transferring the LP's  to puter. I have it bagged and wrapped up.

They also have video to PC hook ups, photo and negative and slide convertors. I found the one I have worked great. And I think that I will be getting the slide convertor for the thousands of slides I took when I was in the Navy I have forty of the  large cap carousels.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
Its the reason there lives no CD in the house, only in the car and pc's the last 18 years.

I was a bit of a hifi buff at the time without going overboard choosing the right products and modifying them.
Still Have Roksan Xeres, Artemis, Ortofon MC2000, Audionote wired on Target wall stand sand filled and extra 3 spike Y piece, with Ion 3 and X pack substantially modded feeding through tri wired French cable? and steel coax to Dynaaudio SBS suitably modded, its load tolerant.

Has soundstaging only expensive US and Jap top end can deliver, music starts and stops instant, timing absolute not mingled together brought about using some Holco (approx. 100 x 30p), Vishay resistors (2 x £10), Schotkys (64 x 50p), Caps, 6N silver plated cable for peanuts. To me and ION in Wales it outperformed amps then 1999 circa £2k for £450.

The mid Welsh built ION 3 and X Pack late 80's early 90's, pre amp stage uses two 144W transistors, very Naim sounding on the cheap.  How did new Ion they get above name.  https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEBkX308YX1jRd5cuOeuD_M2t7Y9sQZ87w3Y0sPf2-KuR6a-CV0w

Might flog mine seeing this, fully working with factory rebuilt arm on top, Audionote, sorbothane etc and £400 trade in on MC2000 as well. Doesn't even have the rear weight on tonearm or expensive PSU £650. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROKSAN-XERXES-TURNTABLE-ARTEMIZ-TONEARM-SHIRAZ-CARTRIDGE-/111540851024?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item19f85a5150

Best cd based sysyetm at time Meridiam Active starting at £11k in 91 above wiped the floor with.

Sign of a good hifi is outsiders think its excessively loud hearing every word with all doors and windows closed. You wont get that with cd but the high sampling rate stuff comes close.