The Shop > Tools
7x12 clarke cl300m lathe - changing tool post making milling machine!
<< < (4/9) > >>
John Hill:
Chris, for what its worth:

I dont think there is anyone on MadModders with less 'shop experience than me, but I have a lathe and after making a couple of buckets of swarf I began looking for ways to make other than 'round stuff'.  So I looked at a vertical slide for milling and came here for advice, then I went to my favourite tool and machine supplier and looked for something better.  He showed me a 'mill drill' which I came back here for advice, then I went back to the supplier looking for a 'real' mill.  Then I had a talk to the financial controller (Her Indoors), then I cancelled the whole idea, postponed more than cancelled I suppose!

Meanwhile, I have a little shaper which is better than nothing for making flat stuff.

raynerd:
John Hill - what put you off the vertical slide?

Problem with ebay is not only the right price but also location - due to the size and having to collect. I was lucky with the lathe that he was about 10 miles away!

I also have the problem that I don`t really know which mill would be suitable. I had seen the Clarke 300 lathe previous and considered it, so was happy to buy. With the mills - I haven`t seen that many and they look to go for much more!

What are the quality mini-mills I should be looking out for? Like I said earlier - nothing too big but then again, something functional!

Chris
ja2on:

--- Quote from: Bernd on April 16, 2009, 08:10:25 PM ---John,

I knew that the minute I looked at how much time was left. I'm sure it'll get up there in price.

Jason, keep us posted as to what it went for in the end.

Bernd

--- End quote ---

I am saving for a x3 but it will take me forever.if a mini mill comes up at the right price and distance I will go for that
I am aware of the new price of these mills so I expect it will go for more than I want to pay that's what usually happens
I will let you know what it goes for
John Hill:
Chris, things that dissuaded me from the vertical slide:

1. My lathe has no 'T' slots or other means of attaching and having not yet knocked much paint off the new lathe I was reluctant to start drilling and tapping holes all over the cross slide!
2. Very few if any vertical slides on the market in New Zealand, new or used.
3. Importing a slide would have been expensive and equating to about 10 or 20% of the price of the lathe!
4. It seemed a little awkward having to dismantle and re-mantle** when going between milling and turning.
5. I can affort a mill, but just not yet!
6. I have my dinky little shaper for small jobs meantime.

**New word? (all rights reserved)
raynerd:
Thanks, John

and bye the way, with fear of looking like a ****, I think you were looking for "assemble" or reassemble. All rights most definitely reserved to John Hill for "re-mantle"

Chris
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version