Author Topic: 7x12 clarke cl300m lathe - changing tool post making milling machine!  (Read 34252 times)

ja2on

:bow: cheers John  :thumbup:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Thanks for the update Jason.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

ja2on

Taking this even more  :offtopic:
I emailed axminster and they can get me a R8 spindle super X3 in 8 to 12 weeks.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Go for it, you know you want to  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't listen to me, just pullin on ya  :thumbup:

I know it's a hard choice to make with so many model available, dosh comes into it somewhere too.... :(
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Jason

Don't forget to budget for some kit to go with the mill. As a starter for ten you'll need

A good robust milling vice

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2erdgtools%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fCLAMPING_TOOLS_AND_INDIVIDUAL_T_NUTS%2ehtml&WD=machine%20vice&PN=NEW_LINES_TO_RDGTOOLS%2ehtml%23a1198#a1198

Collets like this http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/ER32_SPRING_COLLET_CHUCK_SYSTEMS.html

Plus lots of other bits you can get as you go along

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Jason
Having owned the Sx3 for a while, I can vouch for it being head and shoulders above the performance of the x2 machines. You won't regret the choice to upgrade, once you've used it.

Steve

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
It just so happens that RDG tools is around the corner from me! I am going to pay them a visit tomorrow morning - I am looking or a QCTP but I`m unsure they do one that will fit my lathe - can anyone tell me if they do:

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/QUICKCHANGE_TOOLPOST.html

It is disappointing because they don`t seem to do the same range of mini lathe accessories than some of the other machinist shops.... or am I missing them (brass tapered gibs, carriage stop ......)?

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
WOW - went to RDG tools today and was so impressed - I was like a kid in a sweet shop (only with the same amount of money!)...

It is a stunning place, like a warehouse floor but loads of tables and hundreds of containers with bits and pieces in. I suppose it had for sale everything I was expecting it was just the way it was displayed - so openly! Literally like a "pick & mix" (sorry for all the sweet shop analogies).

Service was excellent, the guy seemed very knowledgeable, I did make a few purchases but he spent a lot of time with me which he did not have to do. He also had lots of models that had been made as examples, stunning work. There was also quite a bit of second hand tooling, Myford lathes, asian lathes, all sorts.

Really impressed - they do a lot of business on the internet apparently and I hope their mail service trade is as good as their in-person shop service - highly recommend and I have absolutely no affiliation with them in any way. Will certainly be visiting again.

Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Chris:- their mail order gets top marks for efficiency and delivery:- I ordered the DTI's on Monday they were delivered on Wednesday and that was after getting three email to say they were in the post on their way and expect delivery at.
 :thumbup:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

Jason,

I have just backtracked on that ebay mill, and it went for an amazing price of less than £300. Someone got a good buy. I just wonder how much further he would have gone if there was another bidder to take up the challenge.

Chris,

Arc Euro and RDG are my two main buying sources, but Arc Euro knocks spots off RDG for delivery and customer support, even though they don't have the same large range as RDG, but some of the cheaper RDG tools are pure tat, sold as stocking fillers, whereas with Arc, everything I have had from them has been top grade stuff.

I have also noticed that a lot of RDG prices have risen sharply since moving to their new premises. Someone has to pay the rent, this time it is the customer.

Don't get me wrong, RDG is good to deal with and has a good range, but sometimes, some of the smaller items can be a bit suspect. Put it this way, never again will I buy centre drills and drill sets from there, not up to the quality I like.

John

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
Really pleased that their mail service is as good...  just a pitty they don`t do some of the model lathe accessories that ArcEuroTrade stock - toolpost holders, vertical slide attachment, brass gibs...bla bla.

I did mention buying a vertical slide for my lathe and he mentioned that a cheap way to get a similar setup was to buy this "L" shaped piece of steel he sold, I forget what he called it. Then drill this so that it will screw to the compound slide. You don`t have full control of vertical movement but by clamping your piece at the correct height gives you some vertical movement. The L shape steel costs £12 but then I guess you would need a set of clamps and before you know it, you are near the £75 price tag of a vertical slide. Just a thought...anyone used this setup. It is almost an even cheaper setup than shown in the link on my first post.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
Yea, that mill went for £250 !! I had my eye on it only it was miles away from me in Kent! :(

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
Hey guys - what do you think of this:

Any info on it welcome - it comes with 3-1/4" new swivel machine vice, 2-1/2" dia insert-face mill tool, 6-13mm drill chuck, small autolock chuck with 4 imperial collets (1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 - 5/8 dia) plus 5 of number 2 morse vertical milling cutters.
The asking is £600 which seems on the steap side but being right on my doorstep I wonder if it doesn`t sell could I knock it down?

EDIT: just spoke to my wife and the answer is NO apparently regardless of price!  :( :doh: I`m going to have to stick to my £300 limit...

Chris

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:51:17 AM by craynerd »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
I believe he's listed it 3 times now with no bids, so you could try...

As to if it's any good I have no idea as it's not familiar to me, hopefully someone will be able to help there.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

That is rather an old model, no longer available, so if things did go wrong, spares might be an issue. Plus he has added bits all over the place and painted it up a little, most probably just to make it look nice for selling.

The bits he is 'giving away' with it are either out of date to modern practices, or just not worth much. So you would most probably have to spend a bit to make it worth using, getting the items required to start milling.

IMHO it is only worth half of what he is asking, and it would need a good checking over before making a commitment. Buyer beware.

Very rarely do you get what you want locally, and you have to be prepared to travel, or get a carrier or transporter involved, which could cost a fair wack in itself. For a small machine such as that, expect to pay about 200 - 250 squid to get it picked up, dropped off and installed in your workshop (it all depends on distance). My lathe and mill cost 300 squid each for that service, and THAT WAS CHEAP. Chesters wanted at least 1K for the mill, and they wanted to take the roof off to get it in.

So really, the decision is all yours. You get what you pay for, and if you make a mistake, no amount of moaning and groaning will put it to rights.

John

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
John

Cheers for the sound advice. I will stay well clear at that price.
Chris