Author Topic: Gnarly Knurled Knobs - Don't Knock My Knurler  (Read 10571 times)

Offline sparky961

Gnarly Knurled Knobs - Don't Knock My Knurler
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »
Admit it guys, who doesn't like putting their hands all over a big fat knob?  Now grow up and get your mind out of the gutter!  What else would you need a knurler for, but to make various control knobs and such?

Presented here is my own design for a scissor type knurler.  It draws upon existing designs and is geared toward small hobby machines like my own.  Additionally, there are no complicated parts.

I've attached what drawings I created, and do note that I only use these to assist in the machining.  Sometimes I take liberties when I discover something isn't as simple as I thought while looking at the 3D model.

Here's what we're building:

I made parts for this over the course of ... well, I don't remember how long it's been but it's finally done and working so I'm going to skip the build details and just show some pictures.

Some important changes I made, and some I should have:
- Instead of making custom shoulder bolts I made sleeves through which standard fasteners passed
- I made the centre line of the tool the same as the part but the top of the tool should be on the centre line instead.
- Distance between upper and lower arm could be greater, especially for larger diameter parts.
- Slot length in arms should be greater, especially if overall capacity is increased
- Slots for knurls need to be sized to what's available to you

Ok, enough of that boring crap.  Here are the pictures...

And why would we build a knurler if it weren't for the need of knurled knobs? 

I've gotten tired of my current setup for adjusting the blade guard/guide on my bandsaw.  Because of the minor hassle I probably don't keep it as close to the work as I should.

So these were the first actual knurled part I've ever made.  Nifty knobs - 4140 steel too if I recall correctly where the stock came from.

Offline Arbalist

Re: Gnarly Knurled Knobs - Don't Knock My Knurler
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »
 You need to make a knurled knob for your knurler!

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
You need to make a knurled knob for your knurler!

Oh, definitely.  No point in having a no-knobbed knurler.  The bolt I have in it right now is temporary - hopefully not to become permanent.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 06:20:42 AM »
Hi Sparky  :wave:

No pics, only boxes with x in them, do you have them in 'Photobucket ' or elsewhere?   :scratch:

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:45:42 AM »
Really? I see them here, but I was trying something new this time. They are links to shared Google Drive files.

Do others have the same issue with this post?

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41:04 AM »
I'm viewing on an iPad with Safari and the pictures are showing fine.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
No probs on a Win 7 laptop
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »
Seems to have resolved itself,  nice work
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
Nice knurler!  Had  brainfart though, you still have to adjust the z position to ensure the contact of both wheels, my thought is if the complete head could pivot a small amount up and down it would be self centering equalizing the presure on both wheels but remain rigid in the toolpost!  Any thoughts guys?

Offline sparky961

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »
Nice knurler!  Had  brainfart though, you still have to adjust the z position to ensure the contact of both wheels, my thought is if the complete head could pivot a small amount up and down it would be self centering equalizing the presure on both wheels but remain rigid in the toolpost!  Any thoughts guys?

The way its designed, it does center itself in the Z direction. The two arms float with respect to the body.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »
Yes I see that now  :doh:

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
some nice work there sparky,,
 do you have any details available about how you made your tangental tool? like the angle of the tool steel..

`having seen videos of these tools in action they seem impressive but the price is very scarey!! my sporran went into shock... what's your opinion of them? are they worth the money to buy ? or effort to make ?.

...Mike...