Author Topic: Dominion Supreme Elliot Universal WoodworkerDrills  (Read 4550 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Dominion Supreme Elliot Universal WoodworkerDrills
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:58:53 AM »
Some of you might recall I posted pictures of my re-build of a Dominion Supreme Elliot Universal Woodworker a year or so ago:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,8997.msg98518.html#msg98518

One of it's features (Which I've never used!) is to mount drills in a spindle for horizontally boring out mortices, or otherwise drilling holes using a boring table. The spindle doesn't carry a chuck - just a 1/2" hole and grub screw to fix the drills. To this end a specific set of drill was available as an accessory, all with 1/2" shanks, but my machine never had them.

Well a rather rusty set popped up on ebay - very unusual as I bet there aren't many about. It seemed silly to let them pass as they are useful drills anyway at the price they went for.

Equally silly just to put them in a cupboard in their rusty state so I spent half an hour this morning with the wire wheel giving them a clean up and then a waxing to hopefully keep the rust at bay in future.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Dominion Supreme Elliot Universal WoodworkerDrills
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:01:12 AM »
It didn't take long as it was only surface rust, but needed removing.

They all are stamped with the Dominion name so are originals not substitutes
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:03:31 AM »
I've been using a proprietary anti rust wax for all my woodworking machines and tools that is supposed not to mark timber, but it does ! This is it:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
That's quite an interesting machine, Andrew. Wouldn't mind one here! :thumbup:

When I was a boatbuilder I put a joiner and planer together on the same base, back, to back, so they could share a motor and take up less floor space. You just lifted the gravity tensioned motor and slipped the belt to the other pulley. I still have it.

Good score on the bits! Although, knowng you, I'm surprised that by now you don't have the machine apart and have machined up a new spindle with taper/chuck!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg