Author Topic: Attn Mr Bogstandard, re reversed apron.  (Read 3059 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Attn Mr Bogstandard, re reversed apron.
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
John, the postie dropped off a little book this morning entitled "How to run a lathe" 34th edition (1938?) produced by South Bend. 

The book mentions gap bed lathes and states that on those lathes the apron is reversed, no explanation why though they do make the comment that this is "awkward to a mechanic accustomed to the standard design".  I presume it was to get the operator's hand on the apron hand wheel well clear of the dig diameter work for which the gap bed is required.  I found it (mildly) interesting that yours is the "standard design" and mine is the "awkward design".
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

Re: Attn Mr Bogstandard, re reversed apron.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
According to your book, yours is the correct way, as our machines have gap beds.

But when you look at it, your apron is a lot safer, not only for the burnt hands thing but also the way you approach machining on the lathe.

For me to work comfortably, I will be at 90 degrees to the job, looking straight at it, and if anything is going to fly, it will be in that direction, whereas with yours, you will most probably be standing more to the rear of the machine, looking over the top of the toolpost, so out of the way of the 'shrapnel'.

I still think yours is the most civilised one.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »
I think there can be little doubt John that having the feed handle where it is most suited for southpaws who like getting sprayed with coolant and hot chips can have little justification other than tradition.  I too am conscious of standing out of the line of fire.  Maybe I will ask a question on another forum and see what I get! 

Yes, mine is a gap bed too though I dont imagine it will have need to take the block out any time soon. 

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »
Don't under any circimstances remove the gap bed unnecessarily, you will most probably find any warranty is void because it can't be guaranteed to go back in the same position, especially if the lathe is unstable and not levelled.

Just quoting from a few manuals I have read.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:23:37 AM »
I posted the question over on Practical Machinist's Antique Machinery and History, forum and got two answers, both to the effect that the British do it one way and the Americans the other!  No good reason, maybe just like upside down light switches and driving on the other side of the road.  I Googled a few Euro lathes and they were, mostly, hand wheel on the right.

Seems like you got an 'American' version Bogs!