Author Topic: Mini tube bender  (Read 7005 times)

Offline mechman48

Mini tube bender
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:46:16 AM »
Hi  :wave:

Finished my version of a mini tube bender to a design by G.Britnell. It works ok but it may need tweaking as it does not quite complete a 180* bend. I may have missed something reading the drawing measurements as some measurements don't seem to tally up... not to worry,  :scratch:  .. it does what it was designed to do  so it's finished.. but not, if you get my drift, need to review at a later date, so what next..  :scratch:

mini tube bender (1).jpg

mini tube bender (2).jpg

The two bent pieces of brass are top.. 4mm rod... the lower 3mm o.d. tube, this has curved quite nicely with out any kinks or sharp nicks. Have made a couple of bushes for other sizes, 3.2mm..4.5mm.

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline steampunkpete

Re: Mini tube bender
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »
Nicely done!
I think it is the subtleties of shape in parts like the handles that make the difference between a functional piece of kit and something rather more delicious.  :clap: :thumbup:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
Wow, that's really nice Mechman!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »
Very nice work. The shape you've used on that handle is perfect. Is it your own design or from plans?

Offline mechman48

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys  :headbang: the original design is from another forum by a G.Britnell ( US IIR ) but some of the measurements on the plan didn't / don't quite tally up, maybe I missed something obvious..as one does   :palm: so I used poetic license so to speak  :smart: I used 3mm & 4mm threads where it quotes #6 x 32 or #10x40 which are US sizes AFAIK (ANF/ANC is nearest I could compare with ?? or poss' ME sizes would do) couldn't relate UK - European sizes to suit. Some of the dimensions were confusing to this old grey matter i.e. 0.219", 0.440" etc or .. 'dia as req'd'... the handle taper isn't specified so I used a 1* (& it looked ok)...   so an accumulation of errors is quite possible, any way if any one wants to have a go... & it is cute after all  :dremel:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/29136-Miniature-tubing-bender

Thanks & credit to G.Britnell for the idea.

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'