Author Topic: Dominion 12" Super Elliot Overhead Spindle drive belt  (Read 4105 times)

Offline quintain

Dominion 12" Super Elliot Overhead Spindle drive belt
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Hi

My dominion is the little brother to the others on the forum BUT it is marvellous for my occasional use.

I am bringing into use the Overhead Spindle which has gathered dust 'living' under my work bench for 25+ years.

Should I use a 'V' belt or round belt; the setup on the overhead spindle would suggest a round belt rather than 'V'.

I show below some pics with glaring safety issues at this moment, all will be safe when the machine is in use.

Any / all advice on type of belt and especially UK suppliers would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Richard

Offline quintain

Re: Dominion 12" Super Elliot Overhead Spindle drive belt
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:31:02 AM »
Hi every-one

Bit disappointed in no replies but no complaints.

I have purchased and fitted a 8mm round belt from ebay supplier for bit less than £12.00.

Easy fix by measuring and heating the ends and pushing them together; bit difficult at first as I overheated on low flame gas torch.

I have run the machine to test the belt for a couple of minutes and all is so far OK.

I will set the spindle up to carry out a cut which will the the ultimate test for the new belt.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »

Hi, I have various sizes of round belts powering machines in the workshop. I use a large electric soldering iron with a piece of stainless steel sheet wrapped around the bit, with a flat portion protruding. The iron is clamped in the vice, which allows both hands to be used to heat the belt ends simultaneously, one on each side. With a little practice this works really well.

Good luck
                                                                                           Cheers David

Offline quintain

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »
Thanks David

Sounds like a good method to me.

If/when my crude attempt fails I will use your method.

Regards
Richard