Author Topic: Changes afoot  (Read 27112 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Changes afoot
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 06:42:48 PM »
Can't you make a spring to fit?... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »
Can't you make a spring to fit?... :dremel:

please enlighten me  :thumbup:

CC

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 07:22:52 PM »
S - P - R - I - N - G  you know as in Boing Boing Zebidee

John S.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »
Sorry Dave, I keep forgetting. I have got centuries of gathering behind me, and it didn't occur to me that you wouldn't have the correct sized spring in stock.

Shame you don't live a bit closer.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
Dave,

Before you well and truly get the wee wee extracted by all the leg pullers.....you can make a spring on your lathe.

That bit I remembered from metal work class at school...some, well lets say a long time ago..... :lol:

Take a length of round bar slightly smaller than the bolt diameter (the spring will spring open slightly larger than the bar) Chuck it up in the lathe and at the same time trap some wire between the jaws. Turn the chuck by hand, you can do it under slow power but take care, and wind the wire around the bar.

You have just made a spring...... :)

Spring steel is prob best, but I find SS welding wire works OK if you have any?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »
Cheers Darren  :headbang:
No I don't have any Spring steel or SS welding wire  ::) ............. however I will try and remedy that situation  :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll give it a go asap  :dremel:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »
Spring steel will serve you better as SS welding wire can make a bit of a weak spring in my exp. If you can only find SS wire go for the thickest dia you can get hold of.

Don't buy a whole reel, I'd rather put you some in the post before you do that..... :thumbup:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
If you don't mind posting a couple of foot that would be great, how do you want payment, drop me a pm perhaps.

Cheers

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
Payment....don't be silly....just PM me your add.

I'm not sure if the gauge I have will be strong enough for your needs, but give it a go anyway and see..... :thumbup:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
 :thumbup:

Thanks

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
Well I've spent a bit more time "playing" today ............... Mrs CC's words, I feel it's more "Important Research" mi'self  :thumbup:

anyway, tried the mill out on ally, brass, steel, cast iron and even titanium .................. it just gets on with it; whereas you need to "Drive" the little X2 this one sets about removing metal like it's on a mission, I feel like a spare part ................ just there to twiddle dials and spray a bit of WD40 about   :coffee:

OK .............. I love it  :bow:

anyway, a question for you more experienced engineers out there ...................

On the X2 I have a locking pin to stop the quill rotating while I undo the draw bar to change tooling, there is no similar device on this mill, I've downloaded the Grizzly Manual and it says

"Keep one hand on the tool, loosen the adjustment hex nut, then completely unthread the drawbar"

It just doesn't feel right, how do you tighten and loosen the ER collet chuck  :scratch:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »
Sounds like you're having loads of fun there..... :)

Both my mills have no spindle lock, I just use a large spanner to hold the collet. A lock would be nicer though.

it just gets on with it;

That's exactly what I found with my new mill, it's a real eye opener........side mill 2" thick steel at 20thou...shock horror it don't even break a sweat. End mill 20mm sink it 50 thou and transverse, the same result again....

I've not tried much more as yet but that's good enough for me. I would imagine your baby would be similar...

Have fun...... :dremel:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
I an having fun Darren, thanks ............... unfortunately work will interfere again come tomorrow  ::) and it looks like a busy few weeks ahead so little workshop time for a while methinks  :bugeye:

Tightening the ER Collet is no problem ............... spanner on drawbar, C spanner on Collet, it's loosening it, the collet chuck unscrews before the drawbar  :scratch:

Having said that, then I was able to unscrew he drawbar just by holding the pulley  :coffee: .............. just seems as though something is missing though  :smart:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
Can't you hold a spanner on the collet holder itself? Can on mine... :scratch:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
........ just seems as though something is missing though  :smart:

CC

Yup, the two flats on the collet chuck to hold it whist you wrench the collet nut off,  gottaanglegrinder ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »
Yup, the two flats on the collet chuck to hold it whist you wrench the collet nut off,  

I thought of that earlier .....  :scratch:   ........... and just to make sure I wasn't having another "hacksaw blade" moment I've gone back and looked again ............ no flat's present  :bang:

It came from Arc Euro, JS can you get them to send me a pair of flats to retro fit  :lol:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »
All you need to know..... :thumbup:

I was sat here thinking, OK I can mill two flats on the chuck, ......... but ............ how do I hold it  :scratch: ........... so cheers,   :thumbup:  whilst I've not yet progressed to 5C stuff, I can stick a round bar in the collet chuck and hold it in the milling vice, I'm not needing half a thou accuracy here after all, half a mil will be fine  :smart:

I'll be back  :dremel:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »
Nah, forget holding by the collet, it's not stable enough......read on in the thread..... :thumbup:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »
.....read on in the thread..... :thumbup:

OK, off to cook tea then walk the dogs, be back in a while  :wave:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »
Why for all the trouble milling flats? Just drill a couple of say 1/4" holes in the side, and then make a peg spanner.

Then just to get you out of the crap for the moment, you can use a tommy bar for tightening up, while you make your peg spanner out a bit of hotted up bent bar and a piece of 1/4" silver steel, or whatever size you drilled your holes.

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
 :bang: I just got back from milling some flats  :dremel: .............. whatever, it's just different ways of cat skinning ain't it .................. a hole would have been easier though  :hammer:

Not to worry, it works fine ...............

CC  :thumbup: