Author Topic: Darrens new workshop  (Read 58788 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Darrens new workshop
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 09:04:10 AM »
Got it Darren. My dad once told me they had hammers that had a sharp point that they would use to make a hole in the slate for the nail. (family orginally from Germany) As you know in Germany that a lot of the older houses had tile roofs.

Ah yes battens, that's right. I'm amazed that 2 X 4's rafters are stong enough for all that wieght.

Below is a picture of the house project about 12 years ago. The walls are 4" styrofoam with 3/8" OSB (oriented strand board). The roof is 2 X 6 rafters, sheathing is 1/2" or 5/8" plywood, tar paper and the 35 year architecutal shingles. More wood is used here because it's plentiful and a natrual resource. The basememnt is poured concrete. Something still a bit unusall here because of a large block manufacturer in the area.

John Stevenson, that is a very lovely looking back yard and house you have there. Looks very cozy.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
I can't believe you still build Wendy houses out there  :lol:

But I bet they are better insulated than ours in stone, brick, or block. Don't the rot though or get eaten by something small and nasty.

If not that then the wind? Would hardly last here after a couple of winter gales...

As you say, interesting how differently we do things.... :nrocks:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »

But I bet they are better insulated than ours in stone, brick, or block. Don't the rot though or get eaten by something small and nasty.

Yes better insulated. They won't rot if you keep them dry. We don't have the wet weather you do I believe. Winter takes care of the small and nasty. Worst we have are carpenter ants.

If not that then the wind? Would hardly last here after a couple of winter gales...

We've had 60 mile (100KPH) winds. The shingles are still on and the house never so much as shook at all. Now if you in live in "tornado alley", that's a whole nother thing. I don't care what you build it'll be pretty much destroyed. Same goes if you live on the east coast like Florida or up along the coast. Hurricanes have a tendencey to level houses to.

As you say, interesting how differently we do things.... :nrocks:

That's why is so interesting to see pics of how people build structures in other countries. If you go to HMEM and look in the General section, Maryak is building a house down in Austrila. Completeley different technique again.

To be honest with you I wish I had a much smaller place. Keeping six aceres neat looking is tough and takes a lot of shop time away from you. Mind you I don't mow all that but it still takes some time to mow part of it. And it's not even done yet. :doh:

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
My step father emigrated to Minnesota some years ago, apparently his lawn is 6acres and he mows it with a huge ride on thing, it's as big as his car which is bigger than my people carrier.
The grounds are so large there is no fence between him and the neighbors, even the dog wouldn't wander that far so there is no need for any.

Life is so different, he won't even visit the UK any more says it's nothing but a rip off economy, I think the general masses are at last waking up to this if the swathes of retired people emigrating are anything to go by...

Space, I have space, but nothing like you get over there....we can only dream....

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 06:45:23 AM »
I just realised what you meant Ralph....   :lol: :lol: :lol:  Draggin heals

I'll let you explain it to the guys.............  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Ok.... You've lost me? 

My ref' was my lazy ass self and my 6 year old house that I still haven't lived in!!

Anywho.... I still think your motoring on with that roof  :thumbup:

Speaking of which.... Hows your rack.....? (that'll get the colonials wondering :lol: )

Bernd.... If I had your plot then my workshop would take up at least 2/3rds of it....Not just the house.... the whole site!  :thumbup: I'd fill it with so much stuff that when anyone wanted me they'd have to send in a search party a week earlier  :headbang:

You only need a small bedroom, bathroom and a kitchen other than that surely?  :lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:03 AM »

Ok.... You've lost me? 

My ref' was my lazy ass self and my 6 year old house that I still haven't lived in!!

That was my point, you should have seen this place when I bought it 18mths ago, you wouldn't believe the amount of work that's been done to get it to what you saw the other weekend. We have worked hard, but it's worth it. Another 18mths to go and we should be nearly there. Can slow down a bit then.  :coffee:

Speaking of which.... Hows your rack.....? (that'll get the colonials wondering :lol: )

Got me wondering too  :scratch:

Bernd.... If I had your plot then my workshop would take up at least 2/3rds of it....Not just the house.... the whole site!  :thumbup: I'd fill it with so much stuff that when anyone wanted me they'd have to send in a search party a week earlier  :headbang:

I'm spoilt, I have plenty of room, and I'm still building a garage  :doh:

You only need a small bedroom, bathroom and a kitchen other than that surely?  :lol:

Can you explain that to my missus.....

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 07:36:32 AM »
"Anywho.... I still think your motoring...."  The motoring bit lead me to rack, which as you said was poorly on your motor! .... And the little that I know (from films of course!!) when an American refers to a "rack" it usually belongs to a woman!!

Obscure joke of the month?? .... Do I get a prize!?!  :lol:

Wow... That even lost all humour I had from it in the translation!!  :doh:

Quote from: Divided he ad on Today at 11:45:23

You only need a small bedroom, bathroom and a kitchen other than that surely?

Can you explain that to my missus.....

Yep.... But it'd make as much sense to her as the above jokes did to everyone else!!   :lol:   Sorry chief!

Still.... You got that roof on yet?  :poke:   :lol:

Ralph.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:43:26 AM by Divided he ad »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 07:40:19 AM »
Oh, the rack :doh:,

turned out to be a leaky hose. £120 +vat plus fitting, ouch...for a hose.....!! :hammer:

I must get this garage finished !!

It's not raining so I might...!!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
£120:00 + vat then fitting  :jaw:  :bugeye:  :jaw:

I should possibly re-think my trade choice?!?!  (maybe not!)

I just spent the last few hours swapping a landrover UJ joint over.... Pressing out/pressing in... Haven't done one for bout 10 years.... Amazing how you can recall whan you need to!  :smart:

Still.... Didn't fix the issue (needed doing though) Diff' strip downs next..... Yep! Both of em!!  :bang:

Anyway, back on track.... Isn't it a good day over there? It's nice and bright over here  :wave:

Get yer roof on!!  :poke:   :) 

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
Yep nice and sunny here,

But the clutch cable went when bring the car home yesterday, now I need to get it back to the garage but can't drive it.

I get fed up with cars, always something to fix and these days it costs 100's every time. Once it was easy, you could do it yourself, now it's deliberately made difficult.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »
And the little that I know (from films of course!!) when an American refers to a "rack" it usually belongs to a woman!!

Ralph.

What, you weren't talking about a Moose.  :lol:

Bernd.... If I had your plot then my workshop would take up at least 2/3rds of it....Not just the house.... the whole site!   I'd fill it with so much stuff that when anyone wanted me they'd have to send in a search party a week earlier 

Ralph the taxes would kill you for a building that size. Believe me.

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
I get fed up with cars, always something to fix and these days it costs 100's every time. Once it was easy, you could do it yourself, now it's deliberately made difficult.

Why do you think I'm happier fitting garage doors  :)   They bring out supposed inovative stuff all the time but never test it properly and your forever having to learn new systems.... Progress sucks!!  Happily I get away with the labour costs unless it's electronic ECU stuff!!!

you weren't talking about a Moose.   :lol:   

Whatever floats your boat Bernd!!  :lol:

Ralph the taxes would kill you for a building that size. Believe me.

They'd have to find me in there first!!   :borg:    :)   (the taxes on your side of the pond, I have no idea about their workings.... Not really a topic for this board ehh!? )

Anyway... Massivly    :offtopic:

So Darren.... Got your roof on yet?  :poke:   :lol: 

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »

So Darren.... Got your roof on yet?  :poke:   :lol: 

Ralph.

Almost Ralph, slates are now on (it finally stopped raining !!) just the ridge tiles to go now  :)

Still go the rest of it to build tho, but we can do the inside in the rain now.... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

We had four slates left over, pretty good calculating if I may say so  :thumbup:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 02:30:56 PM »
Looking good Darren!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Thanks Eric,

I have to say I was getting pretty sick of seeing slates towards the end. Glad I'm not a roofer  :med:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
I am jealous... Looks like such a nice place. My garage at present is little more than a 11' x 20' shed on the verge of collapse!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
Glad I'm not a roofer  :med:

Still ............  :med: .................. nice job with the roof tiling Darren  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »
Looking good there Darren   :clap:

So, 2-3 weeks and we should have the last coat of paint going onto the plastered walls and then the big move eh?  :)
(well that's the kind of comments I keep getting!!)

It's gonna be nice when it's finished :thumbup:

Ralph.

bogstandard

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
It's gonna be nice when it's finished

I don't think 'nice' really cuts it.

G-R-E-A-T sounds a lot better.

Nice one Darren

John

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 02:45:43 AM »
G-R-E-A-T sounds a lot better.

You been eating Frosties John?    :lol:

I think that this might cover it?!!                 it'll be, ahhhh..... (sing it with me.....)  supercalifragilisticexpialidocious when it's finished Darren  :ddb:   :thumbup:   :ddb:

Better John?  :lol:

Ralph.   :D

bogstandard

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 03:00:17 AM »
That's better.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 03:32:06 AM »
That's better.

Yep!

That`ll do......   :)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Thanks Guys,

We had to think hard about what to put on the roof, some sort of sheeting would have been easier, but not as good long term.

The pro's and cons were

Sheeting, cheaper and easier but not as nice looking or long lasting. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

Slate, very expensive, never done it before and a lot of work. better heat regulation all year round, plus we are going to insulate it as well. (I must be getting soft)

We are glad we chose slates, though it's not cheap. I should never have to attend to the roof again on my lifetime which was the deciding factor. I'm not getting any younger you know  :lol: And if we sell the place at a later date we should get a good return on our investment.

:)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 08:02:06 AM »
Ohhh slatesssss...

I will be needing to re-do my garage roof in a couple years here... its a 8-12 pitch IIRC.  VERY VERY STEEP.

Do slates work on a steep roof very well? And are they really expensive? I mean... shingles are the big thing here. All sorts in all sorts of colors, and shapes. They are tar and gravel style fiberglass IIRC. I just wasnt sure what the requirements and effort is to do Slates.. and we are talking Rock... correct?

I am gonna have to research those..  They look really nice.   :headbang:
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »
Spin,

Using slate depands on the roof structure. If they are 2 X 4 on 32" centers I think slate would be to heavy. 2 X 6 on 16" centers would be better. Slate is rock or hardened mud actually. I think you can also get them firberglass version.

Don't they use Spanish tile for roofing in Florida?

Bernd