Author Topic: Darrens new workshop  (Read 58796 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Darrens new workshop
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2009, 08:13:37 AM »
How about scoring a few brownie points ?
"How about we put a small freezer in the new shop as an overflow from the main one? "
"I can bring stuff in and top the main one up "

Two things, get a chest freezer and you have a shelf and a fridge or freezer makes a shït hot dehumidifier because it throws heat out, not a lot but enough to keep everything above dew point hence no rust.

John Stevenson

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »
How about a fridge frezer than you could put a few beers in the fridge.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
No Need fella's, it's all mine..... :dremel:

She has 3 kitchens, two utility rooms and all the space she needs.
Or she will have when my workshop has been moved out of the house....
Brownie point production is almost all over......just got to finish building them  :lol: :lol: :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
Bit of outside rendering today, the final finish coat. (apart from the paint)

Two scratch coats and the last one done today. Now done the neighbours side and the back wall.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

The pattern on the back may not be perfect, I was being eaten alive by midges. I have never in my life suffered so much by the blighters.
In my ears, my eyes, nose, lungs !! and the pain, I'm red sore now as I write this.
They came out suddenly when I was halfway through the back wall and I could not stop. It had to be finished or it would have spoilt.

Never again....!!!

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
Nice work Darren and I am sure the neighbours will enjoy looking at your handiwork.

Now, about those midges,  I dont know if they are like our (*&^%^ sandflies but these little chaps can pick a grown man to the bone in 3 minutes flat, however they do not like wind not even a little puff of a breeze so sometimes where these bligthers are a nuisance you might see someone working outdoors with a nice big electric fan running nearby!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
Midges the scurge of the camper, but there only Welsh Midges, there a bit tame compared to Scottish midges now they are man eaters.

Once saw a goup of German bickers on the Isle of Sky put up their tents in full leather gear including Balaclavas Helmets and vizors in the 30 deg C temperatures just to escape the midges:- we were sitting in a smokey pub enjoying the specticle:- midges hate smoke

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »
Nice going with the rendering Darren  :bow: ............... as for the midges  :hammer:

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »
Looking good darren :thumbup:

Midges....loads of species, only a few of them attack humans..... Sadly they are the ones most of us encounter!!  :doh:

I think John has a point, they're too small to fight a stiff breeze!

Don't underestimate the Welsh midges Stew, little sods can indeed inflict major pain..... Camping trip to Cricketh 3 years ago, it was between the midges and the scousers as to who was the worst to deal with on the site!  ::)

Still, back to the point... A bit of paint and it'll look like a new one Darren  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
Why would I want a new midge?

:lol:

Baldrocker

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
Darren don't get me wrong but the camera perspective on that first photo (rendering) makes it look
like a miniature home for a garden gnome nestled in the bracken. Or maybe I need new glasses.  :wave:
BR

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
I suppose I should have moved those potted conifers out of the way, I was actually kneeling down to take that photo.... :lol:

You sussed it  :clap:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2009, 02:04:44 AM »
Very good job very well done there Darren!  :clap:

As for midges, (Derbyshire variety). Herself is always bitten, while they ignore me.......  :clap:  :)

Can`t say I blame `em!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2009, 05:41:14 AM »
A little done to the frontage yesterday by cladding the top apex.

Two tiny pieces of timber short  :bang:

All glued and pinned through the tongues....mind you, I suffered badly last night with my dodgy hip due to all the up and down the ladders.... :(

Nice to see it coming along though, need to add the last two bits and trim the bottom edge... :)

bogstandard

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2009, 06:01:54 AM »
It's coming along real well now Darren, bet you can't wait to get in there.

Make the last job you do the piece of something fixed to the floor to seal the bottom of the doors against.

Get your machines in first, to save all the lifting hassle to get over it.

It was that bit that caused the major problems when I was getting the machines into my shop. It took us over an hour to get the mill over a 1" high piece of wood.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2009, 06:19:51 AM »
Hi John,

My floor will be about 6" higher than the drive because my drive is a deep slope coming down to a flatter area. All the rain currently runs down the drive and into the garage.

I may put a storm Chanel drainage in front of the doors and a gentle slope up to the floor height. Also I have fitted a huge beam across the doorway for lifting heavy items in and indeed out of the trailer.
You're right, when I moved my lathe into the house I had to negotiate a 5mm step. You would not believe the difficulties this cause getting the lathe over it without being able to use any lifting gear... :bang:
I almost had to give up. Same problems will come getting it out again.... :doh:
I found sections of thin MDF helped.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2009, 10:53:14 PM »
Coming along beautifully!!!!

And it looks like two completely different garages, let alone PLACES between the recent pic.. and the bare one with just the rframing on the roof.

Gorgeous countryside.
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »
Thanks Spin,
I wanted to make a nice looking job of it, it's been quite a bit of work but we are getting there now. And yes the scenery here is amaizing.

Had 10 tons of agrigate delivered this moring. First job to level the floor. Then the insulation, waterproof membrane, reinforcing mesh and finally the underfloor heating pipes.

I didn't want the whole area heated as it would get too warm to work in and the edges would have machines and benches anyway. Didn't want to encourage any sweating.
As long as my feet arn't frozen in the winter that'll do me.... :)

start the actual concreting tomorrow  :ddb:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
Underfloor heating!!!! In the workshop!  :bugeye:

My dream of heaven.......   :wave:

That will be pure, unadulterated pleasure during the winter.

VERY nice one Darren!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »
Now THAT is the way to make a workshop. Start from the beginning and put everything in that you want. Are you putting in 3 phase as well? Then that would be the real height of luxury.

That is going to be a great shop Darren.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
WOW UNDER FLOOR HEATING

Thats the height of luxuary.

Good on You Darren

:thumbup:

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
What...!!

You mean you guys don't have underfloor heating in your workshops...in Britain.....

Oh dear..... :bugeye:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John, having two 3 phase machines it might be an idea. I have a rotary converter for the 3ph and was considering putting it up in the loft area to cut down the noise a bit. Have the switching remotely from the workshop and run 3ph cabling to wall sockets dotted about.

I've been thinking of doing the same with 110V too, but that might start getting silly.

However the ruddy noisy compressor can go up there out the way and will run some lines around with water traps etc as I might get back into a bit of spraying at some point.
An external, or at least by the door air point for the car tyres and jet wash too....

I have also run water to the garage and may or may not put a small sink in with the obligitory kettle and stuff.... ::)

The whole place will be dry lined inside with king span equiv and boarded out.....heck, put a bed in the loft and I could move in..... :)

bogstandard

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »
Darren,

I once mounted a compressor above a ceiling. The boss went potty because he couldn't hear himself think, and I had to drag it down again. I even built a frame to hold it off the rafters. The ceiling acted like a large speaker cone. Bouncing the sound up to the factory ceiling and then down again onto the office block.:doh:
I have also mounted one way up on a wall in a factory, and it worked and sounded a dream. So the only thing to do would be to suck it and see.

If I could make a suggestion that would be a lot quieter. Build a box outside and put it in that, but feed the induction pipes from inside the shop so that it will be sucking mainly nice dry air. Also it won't be adding to the heat load in the summer.

When I feel more up to it, my compressor will be going out back, if only to stop me jumping when the damned thing kicks in.

Now is the time to definitely consider 3 phase, while you still have access to bury everything in the walls.

Having 3 phase is as good as printing money. You can usually pick up 3PH machinery much cheaper than you can 1PH.

I have no idea of the cost though, as your place would need to have it piped in I suppose, unless your mains is 3PH already and they are tapping 1PH off it.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2009, 06:23:08 PM »
That is coming along nicely Darren! Gonna be a great shop. I need to tear down my shed and rebuild it like that.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
John, are you suggesting getting the utility company to supply 3ph?

That would be far too expensive to pipe in and the daily charge isn't cheap either. To add insult, if the supply gear goes down or need replacing they make it your responsibility.
Then there is the fact that they have to inform the council of all 3ph instalations, who then re-rate your propery for business accordingly. next comes along the tax man to find out why you have not registered your buisiness. Spotting all you industrial machinery whilst you blabber away to deaf ears something about hobbies and wanting to cut metal for mere fun.....

Nope, I'll stick to single phase and my rotary converter.....If I need more I'll commision the Lister..... :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »
Vibrations, big boards.... :bang: :bang: :bang:, being into acoustics why didn't that occur to me.....

Thanks John, I have no doubts you are correct here.... :clap:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:47:40 PM by Darren »