Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Garyrmck

Hello!
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:22 AM »
Hi,

I have just joined this forum after looking at a few others. Found this one seemed to be the friendliest to newbies....so I joined.

I am new to metalwork, am in the process of setting up a workshop for when I retire in a year or two. I currently have a Seig SC4/510 HiTorque lathe, a 6 x 4 bandsaw, grinder, Pedestal drill and a lot of bits and pieces. I now have a SIEG SX2P HiTorque Mill on order and will have to wait a couple of weeks before it arrives. I aiom to convert the mill to cnc as soon as possible, the niceties like ball screws will have to wait a bit....

My other hobby is astronomy and I have a small observatory in the back yard equipped for astrophotography. I intend in future to make, rather than buy, what are sometimes very expensive "bits".

In the future I have daydreams of making a live steam engine...but that will have to wait. For now I just have to learn how to use the tools I've got....

cheers
Gary in Geelong, Australia

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:51 AM »
Hi Gary welcome aboard, as you say, they are a friendly ( and very helpful) bunch here. I gravitated here as there isn't the bickering that sadly seems prevalent on other forums.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:18:27 AM »

Hi Garry, welcome to MadModder, looking forward to seeing some of the equipment you will be making.

Cheers David

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »
Hi Gary, welcome!  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »
Hello and welcome  :mmr:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:40:16 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
Hi there, Gary,

I join the others in bidding you welcome to Mad Modders.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your work - it's one of the things that makes Mad Modders special.

However, before you post pictures, please go to the 'Gallery' section and read the item regarding re-sizing photos.  The Faststone Resizer software recommended there is free and is very easy to use.  It can get very laborious to view large photos that extend off the right-hand side of the monitor and the horizontal scroll bar is off the bottom of the screen!  (Browse the site and you'll find a few that'll show you what I mean!)

Please don't take this advice/request as in any way diluting my welcome, quite the reverse. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!