Author Topic: Boring Deep But Small Holes  (Read 8874 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Boring Deep But Small Holes
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »
Background: I need to bore a set of 32mm thick soft jaws to accept 10mm copper bar. (This is on my Traub CNC lathe)

So not only is the finished hole fairly deep relative to it's diameter, it'll be an interrupted cut, and not only that, but with the jaw clamping ring in place fitted close access to the jaws is limited so the overhang needs to be getting on for 60 mm

I'm tempted to just run a long series 10mm end mill through them but it seems a tad crude, and although hole size isn't needed to be accurate to much more than +  /- 10 thou concentricity is important.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Boring Deep But Small Holes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
No doubt that there will be other replies but the classic way is to pull the tailstock poppet out and replace it with a piece of round with a 10mm hole bored right through. This is the steady- used by ALL bagpipe makers.

The tool is nothing but a piece of 10mm round silver steel with a D Bit sufficient to drill the full depth and a little bit.
 Temper the end of D Bit- and simply peck away with the tailstock steady right up to the work.

I've done holes 13" long and 3mm diameter in African blackwood and Lignum vitae this way.
The trick is to clear continually- or it will all wander or seize.

OK?

Norman

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
An interesting approach Norman, thank you. No tail stock as such on this lathe, it has an 'opposing spindle' driven by a tiny little 12 kW motor  :bugeye: but I could certainly program it to peck away with a D bit.. Not sure what the effect of the interrupted cut would be though.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
32mm deep isn't a lot. Of course you could just bore it- jaw by jaw. Or - wait for it put a piece of round in it- with a split in it- and then drill a 10 millie hole- and nip the rod. A sort of like a split die? Then  you have your soft jaws unmachined- eh?

Well, he did ask :lol:

Cheers

Norman

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Norman, but the split collar won't work in this situation. This is 'widget production '.
The copper bar is in 1 meter lengths, is griped in the soft jaws, part turned in main spindle, opposing spindle advances grips the part which is still attached to the bar. Main spindle releases it's grip and bar and part are pulled out 45 mm. Main spindle grips again, both  spindles spin up to speed in synchronism, the part is parted off. Opposing spindle withdraws and second operation is performed on its left hand end (drill and tap).. The parts catcher comes out, opposing spindle stops, parts ejector pushes part out as flushing coolant washes the collet for next time. The the whole cycle repeats until the bar is all used. Nb main spindle has a sleeve reducing it to 10.2 mm to prevent bar whip.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:21:05 AM »
Sounds awfully complicated! Me, I am still in the chalk and slate era :poke:.

Seriously though the thing becomes one which needs a basic solution- and that is to grip 10mm and I would have thought that if a 10mm drill was a possibility( poor possibility), mine with a D Bit acting like a sort of one edged reamer might be suitable.

We await results with baited breath.

Cheers

Norman

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »
Tapered bush to fit the spindle behind the chuck if it has a tapered spindle ? with 10mm hole in for reamer support.
Reamer held in the turret.
Close the jaws a tad at a time and spin the chuck by hand, you only need to get witness marks on the jaws
John Stevenson

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
Tapered bush to fit the spindle behind the chuck if it has a tapered spindle ? with 10mm hole in for reamer support.
Reamer held in the turret.
Close the jaws a tad at a time and spin the chuck by hand, you only need to get witness marks on the jaws

That's a great idea!  Supported at both ends. :thumbup:

Or a boring bar, with central tool.......

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 09:13:46 AM »
Nice one John - but no tapered spindle bore :(

It's going to get a 3/8" (9.5 ish mm) end mill up it's jacksy, followed by a 10 mm spiral reamer and if it doesn't like it tough  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline sparky961

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
Sounds like you need a collet chuck.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 02:28:43 AM »
Got a collet chuck, and collets for the larger sizes (up to about 55 mm) but nothing below 20mm and they are silly money - well over £100 each - J56 is their name iirc and I've never been able to locate used ones which is why I fitted the hydraulic chuck and soft jaws. I'm sure my solution will be fine ..... Probably !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 02:38:35 AM »
Can you use slightly under size undersize carbide endmill and contrarotate it slightly off-centre?

Like live tool setting on drilling.

Pekka

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »
Would it be possible to take them out and mill them?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 04:10:41 PM »
No they need to be in situ and clamped with the same (hydraulic) closing pressure that they will be used under.

I've done the job now with an end mill followed by a reamer. If you look at the arrangement in the picture attached to the original post, you will see an adjustable plate with pegs that engage with the jaw mounting holes. Pegs slide in curved slots to set the jaw spacing, and the clamping force is taken by those pegs.

There is a very narrow tolerance on exactly where the 'fully clamped' position of the jaws ends up. Movement of the clamping cylinder is monitored by a pair of proximity switches. If the 'clamped' position doesn't lie between these limits the controller will not let you start the spindle.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 01:58:12 AM »
I've done the job now with an end mill followed by a reamer. ...

Helical reamer?

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 02:35:50 AM »
Yes
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 04:08:33 AM »
I've done the job now with an end mill followed by a reamer. ...

Helical reamer?

Pekka

mmmmm, I wondered about that. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:59 AM »
I thought a helical one would be best due to the intermittent nature of the cut, but as John S said it only needed witness marks clean across the depth of each jaw. I had the main spindle turning about 100 rpm and the opposing one counter revolving again about 100 rpm, and fed the tool in by hand and it was far less painful than I'd feared. Although steel, the jaws are in the soft state.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex