Author Topic: tinytim genorator  (Read 6266 times)

Offline krv3000

tinytim genorator
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »
hi well my tiny tim has past a way considering its 70 yers old it ant dun to bad it had its armature rewawnd 20 yers a go and sat under my work bench so i desided to dig it out and sell it after new oil fresh petrol it ran had to kleen the ponts at one pont all semd well whent over jhons on sunday with it as he was intrested in it it started up ok began to charge the battery that it was conekted to then it stopt charging fetcht it back home striped out the brushes kleend and cheked all the wiering engine runs fine but no charge  it cost £90 to have the rewind dun so no dawt it will be a lot more gnaw any way has any of you got one thats a non runer a bit of in fo on them this one that i have my dad libarated it from a hell cat they wher fited in tanks after the war the cumpany making them turnd them in to portibel ones by fiting them with petrol tanks when they whr fited in tanks the fule came from the tank and its exorst ran strat in to the tanks any way sum pics of mine   

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: tinytim genorator
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
Bob, is there a relay type voltage regulator on it? You  might check the generator for output before the regulator. Also depending on the type of regulator, they sometimes need to be polarized once in awhile to be able to cut in and charge a battery.

It's a cool little generator....
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:55:30 AM »
It might be worth something to people restoring WWII US tanks or owners of same, there is a surprising number of them about (tanks and people both).

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
hi thers no out put reg on it only the portibel ones had them fited and its defently got no out put

Offline hermetic

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
Bob, Have you tried the old dynamo trick of putting a battery across the field coil to restore the residual magnetism. If you look up "repolarising a dynamo" on google you will see what I mean. You have to connect one side of the battery to the chassis or ground of the generator, then flash the other side of the battery onto the field connection, If the generator is positive earth, put positive to the ground or chassis. hold the wire on for a few seconds, then take it off and you should get a spark, keep doing this till you get a nice fat popping spark, then try your generator again. If it has been stood a fair time unused, it is far more likely to have lost ist residual magnetism than it is to have a faulty armature. Also check the brushes are free in their holders and making good contact with the armature.Good luck
Phil.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »
hi i think you may have the rong end of the stick the tiny tim has a 12 volt coil and sepret opnts the engine runs fine but dus not put out any volts the engine and genarator is one unit so you can not split it the enoying thing is its dun nothing sinse it had its armature rewawnd 20 yers a go just bin siting under me bench

lordedmond

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:24:41 AM »
Kev

You have made the comment that may have it sorted " it's done nothing since the rewind"

The field poles have lost the residual magnetic flux

That is needed to get it to output the volts locate the field coils wires and with a car headlamp bulb in series with them and a 12 volt battery just connect them for a couple of seconds

This can happen with all DC genneys Evan a clout with a hammer can demagogue them enought to stop them performing

Stuart

Offline hermetic

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 06:56:52 AM »
Wot Kev said! I am not familiar with the tiny tim, but if it is a DC generator like a dynamo, and hasn't been used for twenty years, I can almost garuntee the only problem is that it has lost its residual magnetism, and without that it wont start to generate current. Have you an autoelectrician near you that you could show it to? It is literally a five minute fix.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »
We had the generator running putting out 30 amps  it just stopped charging
Krv is pretty good with motors ect
Regards
John

Offline hermetic

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
Hi all, Right John, so it was working and it suddenly stopped, Thats a different matter!

lordedmond

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 12:02:04 PM »
Same as Phil

Sorry if I jumped in but the symptom was a classic residual loss , I have repaired many a dynamo in the past

If it did output then I would go for the regulator but I am sure that between you and Kev you will have it sussed in no time

Stuart

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
There's no regulator Stuart.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
hi well the day befor i whent over john's with it i had it runing flatend me old car battery then charged it up with the tiny tim no problem and as john sed we had it runing at john's 12 volt 30 amps out put then it stoped charging at furst i suspeceded a brush stuck or a coroded conecshon of sum sort ript it a part kleend all conechons and brushes and brush holders checed wat i cud with me multy meter bingo sum of the feeld coiles on the amutcher are ded as i ant no wiz with all things being electrick figer thats wher the problem is and as cach is hard to get hold of at the moment it will just get put on to the bay for spers