Author Topic: Insect Spy Drone........  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Insect Spy Drone........
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »
A pal sent me this email........

Have you ever wished you could be a fly on the wall to spy on what's going on or being said? How about being a mosquito instead!
No, this isn't a real mosquito. It's an insect spy drone for urban areas, already in production, funded by the US Government.
It can be remotely controlled and is equipped with a camera and a microphone.
It can land on you, and even has the potential to take a DNA sample or leave RFID tracking nanotechnology on your skin.
It can fly through a slightly open window, or it can attach to your clothing until you unwittingly take it into your home. It can then be guided to the top of a curtain or other invisible location where it can scope entire rooms and monitor everything being said.
Given their propensity to request macro-sized drones for surveillance, one is left with little doubt that the government has big
plans for these micro gadgets.
(And to think we were worried about West Nile virus!)

Can it be real?   :scratch:  :smart:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Insect Spy Drone........
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
That can't be real... yet.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
David,

Back in 2005-6, the U.S. Department of Defense issued a press release (with video) of a dragonfly sized surveillance drone.  I was working at the time in a DoD backed R&D lab and one of the magazines we had there had the article on it as well as the link to the video.

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
I swatted a bug the other day with one of those electrified bug swatters and there was a hell of a bang; I wonder if I inadvertently clocked one?

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:15:46 AM »
I swatted a bug the other day with one of those electrified bug swatters and there was a hell of a bang; I wonder if I inadvertently clocked one?

Seems you might have, Mick!  :bugeye:

Were you doing anything worth watching? 

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
There are amazingly small planes, copters and ornithopters (insectopters?) built by hobbyists these days. I'm certain such a thing will be possible in the next few decades if it isn't yet do-able.

But I think the stylized insect veins on the wings are evidence of someone attempting an aesthetic photographic impact more than mechanical efficiency. To achieve something this size with the performance described would require extreme rigor in the mechanical efficiency department to work at all. On the other hand, a cicada sized drone would be do-able now, I'm sure.

The possibility of building truly tiny drones is barely science fiction at this point. And I suppose one way of reducing the material difficulties would be to use real insect wings, since that design has been worked out over several million years through trial and error, and a common enough raw material. In that case, strike what I said above about the aesthetics.

This may all be wasted effort however. With camera, microphone, and GPS equipped cell phones and computers practically everywhere, in homes and in all public places, in schools, vehicles etc., it just requires a little software magic to perform the same continuous spying and recording function, and is a lot easier and cheaper to implement than trying to build and fly tiny aircraft into positions of interest.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
Steve, welcome back, not seen you about for ages !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
It was a busy summer, Andrew. Now the snow has fallen (12" here 2 days ago) and the temp dropped (10 F last night) and it's time to move indoors and make time for projects. Or return to half finished ones!

Just starting to read through what you've all been up to.... :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Re Mick's exploding bug.

When I worked in the chicken factory we had to be careful where the insectocuters were sited as the bugs don't just die,  they literally explode. This scatters bits of bug over quite a large area.

On a related note,  last night I turned on my desk lamp and the bulb exploded.  odd thing is that I can't find any bits of glass anywhere.

Dave.

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
...And all this technology will eventually be used to control,  monitor, and spy on every aspect of our lives.  You think not?  Don't be naive.  It's being done right now.

Frank