Author Topic: Coke Forge Build  (Read 130819 times)

RobWilson

Re: Coke Forge Build
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »
Evening Chaps

The fan boss up next in Three chucking s  one lathe  :coffee:

One , turn the back  :dremel:

Two , turn front and bore .

Three Key way

Drill and tap fan fixings .

Drill tap grub screw

Done  :ddb:

cheers Rob

Offline krv3000

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
good gowing rob

Offline Joe d

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
Seems to be up to your usual standard of welding Rob :thumbup:

Looking forward to see what you make once you've got it fired up!

Joe

Offline Joules

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 06:13:13 AM »
Man, this is one stylish barbecue.  Really nice work Rob.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

lordedmond

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »
Rob

Nice work as per see you still have that shiny filter for your camera :)

Any one question regarding the slotting tool, what is the shape for the leading edge of the bit, I have one of the Hemmingway ones but had little success with key way broaching , same lathe as you show
A pic of the side and front would be very nice

Have you got that cupola working ?

Stuart

RobWilson

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
Thanks Bob,Joe and Joules  :beer: , it should make a canny sausage cooker  :dremel:

Rob

Nice work as per see you still have that shiny filter for your camera :)

Any one question regarding the slotting tool, what is the shape for the leading edge of the bit, I have one of the Hemmingway ones but had little success with key way broaching , same lathe as you show
A pic of the side and front would be very nice

Have you got that cupola working ?

Stuart

Hi Stuart , here you go mate photos and bobcad  :lol:

I stick a bit side relief on when slotting stainless  :thumbup:

Cupola , I hope will be fired up this summer , not allot to finish the project  :proj:

What you on with at the moment ?

Cheers Rob   

RobWilson

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
Evening Chaps  :beer:

All the blower parts ready for assembly .

The blower will be mounter aboot here

Rob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:59:30 PM by RobWilson »

lordedmond

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
Thanks for the info ihad been using a zero front rake in the mistaken belief that it would stop dig in

Thanks again

Well as my mobility has decreased I have got rid of my loco,s and now make stationary engines

At the moment I am on with the Galway none dead centre engine

A few machine mods to make them easier to use sitting down difficult to wangle the handles on crutches  :)

Stuart

RobWilson

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »
Hi Stuart

Sorry to here you had to get rid of your loco  :( , but glad to here your still active in the shop , nowt wrong with a good stationary engine , and the Galway is a fine example  :thumbup:

I hope you will take the time to post a few photos when its done  :poke:  or in progress  :poke: :poke: :)

Just think of the cutter as a single tooth on a broach , good and sharp it takes me less than a minute to cut a 1/4 key  1 1/4 long in steel   :thumbup:

Rob

lordedmond

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »
Yes Rob it was quite a wrench to part it was not one but four the two latest ones one was part built , both not even fired but with a boiler maker built boiler with complete paper trail I sold them in exchange for a carrier bag of twenty pound notes looked like a bag of bricks.

The other two were found a good home

As to the Galloway it will be a long time as I am not as quick as I used to be but its getting there that brings me the greatest pleasure

Stuart

RobWilson

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
Hi Stuart , all in good time  :med:

Good to here you got some cash for them , but like you say when you have put so much into some thing it can be hard to let go  :palm:

Rob

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
Your welcome  Simon  :lol: :lol:  , I hope you haven't given up on your armour work  :poke:

I still think about doing some more every now and then, but i've been trapped in eternal woodwork for the last year and a bit. I think when the weather gets better I might give it another go.

Got anything you're planning to make when you get your forge running?

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
That is not a blower, its an air raid siren.

That huge iron box going to be the motor mount? for anyone else I would think it is just there as a mock up, but for your your projects I'm not sure.

Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

RobWilson

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
Your welcome  Simon  :lol: :lol:  , I hope you haven't given up on your armour work  :poke:

I still think about doing some more every now and then, but i've been trapped in eternal woodwork for the last year and a bit. I think when the weather gets better I might give it another go.

Got anything you're planning to make when you get your forge running?

Hi Simon , I see you have gone to the Brown side lol , yer it would be good to see some more of your metalworking  :thumbup:

As I have not forged a thing in my life  I think I will start easy and make a few hooks for the shop and work up from there ,  :med:   I do have a few tools in mined I would like to forge ,hammers ,  bearing and spring pullers and oddly an a small hand axe .

Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
That is not a blower, its an air raid siren.

That huge iron box going to be the motor mount? for anyone else I would think it is just there as a mock up, but for your your projects I'm not sure.

Mark

Your right Mark , thats not a blower,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is  :)

What my wee planner block ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ist just for mock up  :dremel:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »
Nice work Rob. Stunning results so far.

:beer:

We finally got the missus enrolled in a blacksmithing class here.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »
Oh man Rob, that first smaller blower is absolute 24 hour dejavu!!!!

We had our water pump burn out night before, filling the house with smoke, and causing a panicked checking of all electrical appliances and wiring until the culprit was found at 11 PM. I believe the cause was the fact that the temp hit -11F (I'm not going to even bother converting units) with gusts to 50 mph, and a warned wind chill of -32F. I believe the pump outlet froze, and the overtemp switch failed. The start capacitor had oil all over it, too -- haven't done the post mortem fully yet.

Anyway, yesterday I spent all day replacing it -- much of it outside and under the house crawlspace in these temps.

I swear, that motor on that blower of yours is the same one I struggled with! :bugeye:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

RobWilson

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
Nice work Rob. Stunning results so far.

:beer:

We finally got the missus enrolled in a blacksmithing class here.

Cheers Eric  :beer: ,   Nice one  :med:  , is yourlass enjoying the blacksmithing classes ?  maybe she could give me a few pointers  :dremel:

We had our water pump burn out night before, filling the house with smoke, and causing a panicked checking of all electrical appliances and wiring until the culprit was found at 11 PM. I believe the cause was the fact that the temp hit -11F (I'm not going to even bother converting units) with gusts to 50 mph, and a warned wind chill of -32F. I believe the pump outlet froze, and the overtemp switch failed. The start capacitor had oil all over it, too -- haven't done the post mortem fully yet.

Anyway, yesterday I spent all day replacing it -- much of it outside and under the house crawlspace in these temps.

I swear, that motor on that blower of yours is the same one I struggled with! :bugeye:

Its is Steve , I nipped over a nicked your good motor  :lol: :lol: :lol:

-32F whats that in English  :scratch:  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DAM COLD !

Rob

lordedmond

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »

Take big care your comment about the cap having oil on it if it's old it could be a PCB compound not good stuff

Stuart

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Rob, the one was identical to the old one (it served 12 years).
But can I come over there to retrieve the one you nicked? I'll even pay you for it. Just get me outta here!!!!!  :)

Stuart, PCBs --  I had that same thought! We had the doors and a window open in that cold and wind near midnight just to clear the air inside AFAP. Didn't want to breathe the smoke if it was from cap oil.

Soon as I touched the cap, the descriptive printing smeared off, and I realized it was cap oil. Washed hands immediately in soap and some cold bottled water we had (no water pressure, of course). Not much more I could do. Thank you for mentioning it.  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

lordedmond

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
Thanks ok I do not want to be a safety nazy but that's one substance not to be messed with

It was probilly ok but you never know , I have come across it once that was in a ioniser power pack for an agglomeration unit for a computor HVAC unit 50 hp fans and 10 units guess we're they were made in the USA by Baltimore and used in the UK

A cap blew up but we were aware that they had PCB in them and then it was on with the marigolds ( live working gloves) but it was dead face shields you name it it cost a arm and a leg to dispose of the bits. The units ran at 25kvdc

Take care Stuart

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 04:21:09 AM »
Rob is back! And with that his trademark "over the top" engineering.. that thing is built like a TANK!.. And we love it.  =)
 :D
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

RobWilson

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Rob, the one was identical to the old one (it served 12 years).
But can I come over there to retrieve the one you nicked? I'll even pay you for it. Just get me outta here!!!!!  :)

Any time Steve , a tad warmer here  :)

Rob is back! And with that his trademark "over the top" engineering.. that thing is built like a TANK!.. And we love it.  =)
 :D

Cheers Neo   :lol:  ,,,,,,,,,,,, I take the Victorian approach and build things to last    :D Plus  I personally guarantee it will withstand  thermonuclear war and post apocalypses zombies chewing it to bits  :headbang:

Rob     

RobWilson

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Next up I need a tee piece for the air to get to the bottom of the firepot and to form the ash dump .

A bit tube and some  scrap bar ends.

A wee spin on the lathe .

Welded together and it will fit here ,well something like this  :dremel:

Rob

Offline Joe d

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
Rob... that's way to nice looking to let it get all nasty with coke smuts.... :thumbup:

just finish it off quick, and post it over here, I'll take care of it for you...

Joe