Author Topic: New lathe purchase  (Read 11246 times)

Offline John Rudd

New lathe purchase
« on: February 20, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
Thinking of buying a new lathe....
http://www.toolco.co.uk/pages/bakery/1130gv-variable-speed-lathe-345.php

This one comes upgraded to a 1.5kw motor wirh vsd...either a stabs and delivery comes in at £2k.....

Opinions?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline tekfab

Re: New lathe purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »
LOL !  Beware of lathes with so much writing on them   :) :)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
Please elaborate?....Warco do a similar machine but more expensive....so can't be all bad....Surely?

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
The specs look canny John  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
John,

The only thing that would put me off is the chuck mount which is a flange mount which makes changing chucks frequently a bit of a chore.

A Camlock spindle mount is (in my opinion) much better but, for that amount of cash, you'd be looking at a second hand machine and it probably wouldn't come with all the accessories.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »
Rob,
Yup, I though the specs were good too...still can't make me mind up...

Phil, I asked what the chuck mount was, and you're right it is a flange....but no different to my Sieg Super C3....which mainly is used with an ER32 chuck....so I don't see chuck changing an issue with this machine especially boasting a 160mm chuck....

Bottom line is, I'm trying to justify spending that much money when I already have a Chester 9*20 and a Sieg both of which meet my needs atm....

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »

Bottom line is, I'm trying to justify spending that much money when I already have a Chester 9*20 and a Sieg both of which meet my needs atm....

A man can never have enough lathes John  :)

Rob

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »
I have the same offering from Amadeal john, 3 phase motor on a Vfd. It came in at £2450 with the 2 axis DRO. I can not fault it one bit!

Ive had her flying chips taking 5mm cuts on EN8 no problems. I dare say i prefer it over our Bantam running on real 3 phase.

If you are ever near by your welcome to come chuck something up and take her for a test drive.

Oh thought i would add i ordered  mine on the 23rd of december and it arrived on boxing day! A1 for service

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »
I have the same offering from Amadeal john, 3 phase motor on a Vfd. It came in at £2450 with the 2 axis DRO. I can not fault it one bit!

If you are ever near by your welcome to come chuck something up and take her for a test drive.

Oh thought i would add i ordered  mine on the 23rd of december and it arrived on boxing day! A1 for service

I thought you had a Chester DB series lathe ?

Thanks for the offer of a test drive,  I'll let you know if  I decide to  go ahead...but
I'm sure the machine will live up to its reputation....out of interest what size motor is on yours? Toolco tell me the new machines are upgraded to a 1.5kw motor...2hp....plenty of grunt..

Rob, I'm sure you are right, I already have 4 milling machines , but space is running out... :doh:

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »

Of course you can justify the spend. After all, with 'bakery' in the url you obviously knead one ...  :loco:   :palm:  :palm: and if you have the dough .. why not ???

Like the spindle bore  :thumbup: Farting around with the < 5/8" on the S7 is a PITA at times ...

Dave

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

RobWilson

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »

Rob, I'm sure you are right, I already have 4 milling machines , but space is running out... :doh:

:thumbup: a man after my own heart  :dremel:

Rob

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »

Of course you can justify the spend. After all, with 'bakery' in the url you obviously knead one ...  :loco:   :palm:  :palm: and if you have the dough .. why not ???

Like the spindle bore  :thumbup: Farting around with the < 5/8" on the S7 is a PITA at times ...

Dave
Ha...I missed the baker bit in the URL.....
Many times I've wished that the 920 had a bigger spindle bore....this is obviously the answer.. :coffee:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 04:44:10 PM »
Now let's get this clear -

A/ there is NO upper limit to the tools we need  :lol:

B/ there is NO upper limit to the size of workshop we need until the garden is COVERED  :lol:

(the planners say you can only cover half your garden in sheds, but they are obviously WRONG )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
Now let's get this clear -

A/ there is NO upper limit to the tools we need  :lol:

B/ there is NO upper limit to the size of workshop we need until the garden is COVERED  :lol:

(the planners say you can only cover half your garden in sheds, but they are obviously WRONG )

Andrew, you make I laugh.... :lol: :lol:

Already have a shed in the garden.....mebbe it's time the greenhouse went.... :scratch:

RobWilson

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
[

Dave

Thats why you need more than one lathe Dave  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:med: To RIGHT ! Andrew  :med:

Rob

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »
Re. Sheds and the garden!

First moved into a new house in Malahide (North County Dublin) in '91. The back "garden" was delimitted by 6' high block walls, about 36' x 36'. My intention was to drop a geodesic dome on the walls. This was 1991 - a bit in advance of some other geo-dome projects.

HOWEVER: SWMBOB put her little foot down and so no dome.

I AM however looking at shed space ( as there isn'y any in the BG!)

OK Confession Time; Drink has been taken :D
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 01:31:18 AM »

I thought you had a Chester DB series lathe ?

Thanks for the offer of a test drive,  I'll let you know if  I decide to  go ahead...but
I'm sure the machine will live up to its reputation....out of interest what size motor is on yours? Toolco tell me the new machines are upgraded to a 1.5kw motor...2hp....plenty of grunt..

I have a chester DB11,Amadeal Ama290vf boxford BUD,colchester bantam and a harrison m250 its not an addiction though :D off of the top of my head im going to say the Amadeal offering is 1.1kw 1.5hp

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 05:02:14 AM »
You will enjoy owning it John, and as a wise man once said, "there are no pockets in a shroud". As you know I retired at the end of last year and have just invested in a Vulcan Drifter.

RobWilson

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 06:03:02 AM »
"there are no pockets in a shroud".

They are a standard option to a shroud  in Yorkshire ,on the inside  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:12 AM »
You will enjoy owning it John, and as a wise man once said, "there are no pockets in a shroud". As you know I retired at the end of last year and have just invested in a Vulcan Drifter.

Yeah...I retired last year too, in July.. But have since take  part time work, so have a little spare cash...rather than just waste it I thought of a bigger lathe and this one fits the bill nicely....

Rob, I'll get my own back...you wait ..... :hammer:  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:46:36 AM by John Rudd »

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »
You could get a lot of second-hand lathe for 1800 sobs. All but the most knackered would probably 'feel' better than any of the 'cheaper' made things.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&view=show_ad&adid=21962&catid=2

www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/141129vsl/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:41:44 PM by BillTodd »
Bill