Author Topic: Adhesive for mild steel  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Eugene

Adhesive for mild steel
« on: February 21, 2015, 04:53:18 AM »
More of a "What do I use" than a "How do I".

I want to glue some mild steel plates together prior to drilling. I've used a Loctite thread locking material which seems to have very low resistance to movement; a sharp rap and it parts. Some time ago I disassembled a stainless enclosure that was stuck together like the proverbial. That was good stuff whatever it was.

Any suggestions?

If all else fails I might just solder them; bit of a PITA though.

Eug

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Re: Adhesive for mild steel
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:31:32 AM »
Do you wish to separate them after drilling?

If so can you allow them to be heated?

In which case try a 5 min expoxy (on scrap first)

Or use the old fashioned way:

Mark out the first piece. Drill 2 holes in scrap areas. Spot through onto second (or more) piece. Bolt together. Now drill all the rest of the holes, Cut to size etc. Unbolt and qed!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:16:01 AM »
If you have a lot of work to do on the plates it might be better to rivet them together with countersunk rivets. They won't get in the way like nuts and bolts and there is no danger of them working loose. just drill them out when finished.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »
I recall reading that CA glue can be used for a temporary bond, with moderate heating to release the bond after you're done. I've never tried it myself so read up on the strength and potential health hazards first. (Cyanide poisoning, anyone?)

It does beg the question as to why though. There may be an alternative way to do things that doesn't involve fixing them together.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Eugene,

Cyano-acrylate (CA) adhesive can work well.  It can also be a disaster.  It depends on how well the CA was made.  (I have become quite the CA snob in recent years and will only use the Zap brand of CA adhesive!)

Dowel pins or roll pins work quite well as a temporary fixture.  (Good dowel pin assembly requires appropriate reamers, roll pins do not!)  If the holes need to be hidden, an appropriate drill & tap and a piece of threaded rod can cover them over quite nicely.

Please remember that the cyano in cyano-acrylate is (basically) cyanide which will be part of the fumes when it is heated to break.  You can freeze it (25°F or -4°C) to make it brittle enough to break -- and wash off the remains with acetone.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
Thanks boys.

I'll try ZAP (I like that!) and a two part epoxy on some scrap and see how I go.

Eug

Offline bp

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »
I have used cyano for exactly what you describe.  "Zap" is probably the best cyano regularly available, but there are others.  If you don't use a lot of it, do as Lew suggests and get Zap.
I cyano'd a dowel in a blind hole, needed to get it out, so warmed up the part, the dowel shot across the shed, pinging (gently) off of the wall.  The entrapped air under the dowel had expanded, when the cyano degraded the air pushed the dowel out with some force.
So it's probably best to consider "what could possibly go wrong" as well!!
best of luck
cheers
Bill

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 09:19:53 PM »
I can't quite tell whether you just want the parts together temporarily or permanently -- sounds like you want temporary in order to drill, so I don't understand why you want a strong bond that doesn't break apart with a rap? I use that feature many times. Glue temporarily, machine, then give it a shock blow to break it apart. I don't like heating cyano, and a tap is a lot faster anyway.

It;s a variation on the old Turner's cement theme, used to attach thin stock to faceplates for surfacing, then rapped off.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:41:13 AM »
Then there is thin double sided tape that may work for you. Can be a pain to remove but like CA would be easier if heated gently.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)