Author Topic: New Lathe  (Read 45251 times)

Offline micktoon

Re: New Lathe
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »
Hi Oz , from what I have seen of Harrisons don't take anything for granted without seeing it with your own eyes, like your motor, what the manual says it will be and what it ended up having can be two different things with Harrison lol.
  I think John is going to run his off the rotary phase converter, I am not sure about this but I have heard somewhere that you need a special inverter to run a twin speed motor like John's 140 has fitted.
   Each speed on the gearbox has the normal speed as marked in the low range when the motor is running in low ( electrical ) speed 1500rpm range , then if you switch the motor to high speed range 3000rpm each gear selection would have the relevant double speed of the low motor range. So in effect twice as many gears.
  Not sure if it needing to be special inverter is correct or not ...........anyone else know ??

Cheers Mick

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
Hi Mick, you don't need to convince me that Harrisons made in that era were devoid of any predictable logic and completely random in deciding specs of their machines.

They're often a bloody nightmare to source the right parts for because of these assembly inconsistencies.

I did wonder whether a normal inverter would cater for the 2 speed motor or a special unit was required.

On the subject of John's 140,what I did notice was the backlates etc in photos seem to be the L00 taper fitting which is a huge improvement over the threaded spindle like mine and micktoon's.

And John, you look ever so youthful and very fetching with the blonde wig on. :lol: :lol:.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
 :poke: Oh Oh whats to become of John & Mick will it be a case of  :hammer: fighting for bargains when out at Car boot sales for the Harrisons parts or will they  :med: over a  :beer: a share the spoils.

With spring coming on over there and the car boot sales starting soon John will have a wish list as long as his arms

Offline micktoon

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »
Hi Oz , I thought you would know about the curse of working out what is what with harrisons. Well spotted John's lathe is L00 taper nose , it is better but you can not really make backplates etc , well not as easy anyway  :bugeye:, lucky for John he has everything except I think there should be a 16 inch faceplate too.
  Hi Ginger nut, Yes we are looking forward to the car boot season starting again, we normally share the spoils anyway and we both have most lathe related stuff anyway now, we both think 2015 is the year we will come across 'The Mutha Load' ............... You know the one where the old guy is packing in and has his whole collection of engineering tooling for sale  :drool: :drool: :drool: .............................   Dream on eh  :lol: Who knows what goodies we will uncover  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
Made a start cleaning some bits up

John

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
TV wise there are shows regarding all sorts like Antiques Roadshow, Bargain Hunt, Auction Hunters (USA), a few more.

Time we had a Machinists Show Scavenger Hunt staring John n Mick.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 04:46:17 AM »
Time we had a Machinists Show Scavenger Hunt staring John n Mick.

:thumbup:   :clap:  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »
"Time we had a Machinists Show Scavenger Hunt staring John n Mick."

No! Don't suggest it then everybody will be out there looking for bargains. It's bad enough that John and Mick are out there taking all the good stuff so that I can't find anything!

Let's just keep it a secret amongst ourselves.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 06:36:31 AM »
Hey don't blame everything on me and John ?................ What about Bob KRV3000 , he snatches his fair share of bargains  :thumbup: ................,  Then what about David , Bobs mate that went to two boot sales then found the muthaload me and John had spent 1000 hours searching for   :palm: , nice lad so we did not begrudge him the find lol as long as he keeps to the South of the River Tyne  :lol:

Cheers Mick

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 11:39:56 PM »
Oooppps never thought of that.........then again I am 13000 miles away

Ah thanks Mick now I can get my relo's to search south side for me  :lol:

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
Lathe arrived safe & sound :drool: :drool: :drool:
Thanks to Stive at Landy Lift for a great job delivering it :bow: :bow:
Thanks also to Mick
The clean up is now well under way

John

RobWilson

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
Looking good  John  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Are those the before or after shots John?
Either way she looks fantastic!

what has been fek'd out of the shop to make way? :bugeye:
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline hermetic

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
Hi John, Excellent news I bet you are chuffed! I also used steve from landylift to move my Covmac from Scarborough to Langtoft,  We had him for the day and ended up moving another three machines round the village! He is a good guy, and knows the moving game.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline hermetic

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
OH NO!! John, the dials are in.....................foreign
(Just like my Harrison mill of the same era)
It was quite a shock the first time I went to use it, I had cleaned it, drained the coolant, cleaned it up, painted it (Green, alright look, Im sorry but it was already green and only needed touching up, and I would have preferred grey, but never mind) Put the vice on, set up a simple job (slotting a 1 1/2 BSP plug for a compressor cylinder head) Twas then I noticed ! Having never used a metric machine before, I was worried, but I speak a bit of French, and I thought, Damn you Napolean, how difficult can it be, and the answer is, not very! Congratulations John, It looks like it has hardly been used! Can't waid for the nightcap.
phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
By 'eck John that looks reet nice  :thumbup:

If the mechanics live up to the paintwork you've landed yourself a really nice lathe there  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline micktoon

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
 Hi John, glad to see the lathe safe and sound at your place. The lathe is as good as it looks mechanically wise too so a good bit of kit all round.
  Steve from Landylift was spot on too, knows his stuff with moving machines and nice fella to go with it. Let me know when you need a hand with moving stuff about for the final resting place   :thumbup:

I bet you are thinking about re painting it green are you  :bugeye: :lol:

Cheers Mick

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »
 :mmr:

As does John and his new lathe, well done it looks like it was made for that spot. :thumbup:

I can see that the 4x6 bandsaw has been ousted but where too? Down the other shed  :Doh: you'll be kept fit n slim running backwards n forwards if that is the case. But what of the drill press?? Gas bottles??

Ok I have noticed you've had a garage door change as well no more panel lift but new roller door was that in prep for the Harrison arrival if so its been known for some time??

Clean as a new one. All those new tool rack to make.

How soon before we see John running the Boxford, mill and Harrison all in a SNNC all at once will he blow the fuse box?

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »

For some strange reason I just had a vision of john putting the two lathes tail stock to tail stock and bolting them together so he can turn longer shafts between centres.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »

How soon before we see John running the Boxford, mill and Harrison all in a SNNC all at once will he blow the fuse box?

Used to run my old 140, mill on power feed and bandsaw. Newer lathe struggle to power lathe and same mill, either can trip fuse box.

Johnny looks like its recently ish been painted, saves you a job. Promise keep it grey.

Offline dawesy

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
Very nice john. Looking very nice.
Seems to be in excellent condition.
Can't wait to see its snnc debut.
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »

Used to run my old 140, mill on power feed and bandsaw. Newer lathe struggle to power lathe and same mill, either can trip fuse box.

Johnny looks like its recently ish been painted, saves you a job. Promise keep it grey.

Never been painted that is the original paint
John

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:22 AM »
I can see from the photos that there ain't much wear on any of the slideways, and yer got the removable gap piece option as well. A rare find indeed, top banana,John. :ddb: :ddb:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 12:32:45 AM »
John just watched the video sorry to hear about Deb hope she is ok and it goes well next week.

Top notch looking paint job too. Its been well cared for thats for sure if you find its just to much I'll gladly give you my address  :D

Nice to see some fast speeds on that its getting close to the speeds on my wood lathes 3000 rpm, the old Myford only does 750rpm.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 12:39:39 AM »
John, I have a question. Is that a detent type slip clutch on the leadscrew?  The one on mine is just a castellated dog clutch to disengage the leadscrew when not thread cutting.....OZ.