Author Topic: R8 vs MT3 ?  (Read 6347 times)

ja2on

R8 vs MT3 ?
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
I am saving for a mill at the moment and would have bought a MT3 machine as that's what my lathe has
but then  Mr Bogs mentioned in another thread that R8 is better than MT3
can you guys tell me the pros and cons of the two ?
my sieg c4 has a MT3 head stock but I have nothing that fits it other than a dead center

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:21:37 PM by ja2on »

bogstandard

Re: R8 vs MT3 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
Hi Jason,

It can be very confusing to someone who doesn't know the difference, and I am sorry you are confused by my remarks.

Just to explain it a little more clearly.

At one time R8 used to be the domain of the larger industrial machines, but now it is starting to become the favoured fitting for home workshop mills as well.

It is nothing to do with how good each system is, as they both operate in the same way and have equal gripping power.

Where the R8 scores is when you come to break the taper to remove the tooling. MT3, with it having such a shallow and long taper can under certain conditions be very difficult to remove and then a hammer wack is usually required to free it off (I cast lead hammers specifically for doing the job, to prevent damage to the machine), whereas the R8 will release almost by looking at it.

So really it is nothing to worry about, it is just that if I had the choice, R8 would be the way I would go, purely to keep the blood pressure down.

I use both systems, R8 on the mill, and MT3 on the lathe, but I do have adapters to mount MT tapers into the mill, especially if I want to use large drills with an MT taper.

I hope this clears it up a little for you.

John

ja2on

Re: R8 vs MT3 ?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 03:18:33 PM »
Thanks John  :thumbup:

R8 sounds like a winner then
as the less I have to use a hammer the better  :lol:
I always end up hitting the wrong thing or my myself  :hammer: