Author Topic: Rotary phase converter plans  (Read 4080 times)

Offline jonny neate

Rotary phase converter plans
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
Hello guys and girls ' a big ask I know but dose anyone have plans for a Drives Direct  rotary phase converter.
I know they sell a kit but my wife works for a company that makes large agricultural control panels and would have most of the parts hanging about.
I dare say someone from there could design one for me if push came to shove but I'm just trying to simplify things.
Cheers ,Jonny

lordedmond

Re: Rotary phase converter plans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
Jonny

google is your friend just put rotary converter plans in

and you will get a page full look at the images section

have fun

Stuart

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »
a quick hunt on google came up with these simple plans and info  http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/phaseconverter.htm

only skimed through but looks about right, I don't remember much else being in the one I pulled apart last year

edit:  just remembered there was also a step up transformer used to give 415V output
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline jonny neate

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
Thanks for your help guys  I will speak to someone at my wife's work .

I'm currently using a Clarke pc60 phase converter on my Colchester student with a 3hp duel speed motor . Been using this for about 4-5 years and up to recently was impressed but think it's slowly dying . It was always struggled to start on the highest speed but now it getting sluggish on the lower speeds.
Cheers , Jonny.

Offline dawesy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
Does it need to be a rotary phase converter?
There are some affordable VFD's on inverter drive.com
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(