Author Topic: Building a New Lathe  (Read 252053 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Building a New Lathe
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 03:51:52 AM »
Can you put taper roller bearing(s) at the nose of that spindle? That should have you sorted.

Myford 10 has two oposing taper roll bearings on the spindle and it is pretty good. In theoriy it is not the best, but with two bearings it is pretty damn good for it's price.
http://cdn.instructables.com/F20/AN3I/HH2VZMRF/F20AN3IHH2VZMRF.LARGE.jpg

Much like this:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/elffers/img14.jpg

Here is plain angular front bearing and at the back there is a pair of opposing angular contact bearings:
http://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/H21.-HEADSTOCK-SPINDLE--A1992-1120.html
http://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/info_684.html

I think there is a document indicating how this is adjusted. If I remember it correctly first angular ball bearing was adjusted to take up play on front bearing and then second one was "snugged" into it to take up the play on the rear. pretty good at slow speeds, the "nose" bearing limits rpm.

http://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/Specifications_of_the_Sigma_Lathe.html
This should have some indication of the size of relative parts.

Do I remember wrongly or was the front conical plain bearing was replaced with a single taper roller bearing at any point?

Anyways, if you don't need super high accuracy and very high speed, angular taper roller bearings offer very much load carrying capacity for the money. Yes they are limited on speed range and they are not cheap anymore if you need to buy "Class" over standard wheel bearing standard, and they heat up a bit because they need to be preloaded, but they take up a lot of load and abuse. AND honestly? How many of us can make a spindle and housing to required accuracy that are needed to very expensive "princess" bearings?

IMOHO. Have a good looks on taper roller bearings, design a grease nipple to them (they eat grease) and exit hole, you need seals and that should take care of it.

Pekka
* Typozzzzhh
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:14:45 AM by PekkaNF »

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 04:41:34 AM »
As a very young Goldstar, I was involved with what was the RAF Antarctic Flight. RAF Hendon- before it became a museum and all that.

But a lathe emerged called the Murad 'Antarctica' and then the 'Bormilathe' which I still want.  They are like hen's teeth but one alternative is the modified Myford Super7B of J.A.Radford and the working drawings for his 'Elevatiing Heads' are in his 'Improvements and Accessories for the Lathe' book- published by Tee. Again, his Milling Attachment is also interesting.

Regards

Norman

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
Pekka, I uhhh forgot to mention that I uh... also ordered tapered roller bearings to fit.

No, Andrew.

Uhhhhhh 3 bits at a time.....   :lol:

But uhhhhhh, I'm not really building a lathe, just checking, you know what the possiblities might be.....

Fergus, I have Radford's book (collected ME articles) with the elevating heads, and he talks about the Bormilathe. The heads on his incredibly modified lathe were chain driven if. I remember correctly.

I couldn't get to sleep last night. I kept imagining how I'd do lathe beds. Now I'm half asleep in the morning and predicted to be the warmest day of the year, so far........
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »

Fergus, I have Radford's book (collected ME articles) with the elevating heads, and he talks about the Bormilathe. The heads on his incredibly modified lathe were chain driven if. I remember correctly.

I couldn't get to sleep last night. I kept imagining how I'd do lathe beds. Now I'm half asleep in the morning and predicted to be the warmest day of the year, so far........

This Chain driven idea is repeated by Prof Dennis Chaddock when he made the Quorn.
It is rather interesting because Radford was visited by Geo Thomas in NZ and Chaddock encouraged Thomas to write his things and Thomas and Tubal Cain( Tom Walshaw) used to  discuss Model Engineering far into the night at meetings! Then  Westbury and LBSC?
Let's not leave out G.P.Potts and his three spindles. I gave one away but still have two.
Then  Kenneth C Hart came in as 'Martin Cleeve' and building from only  half a new Myford ML7.

It was  heady mixture of experts. So I look forward your contribution.

Cheers

Norman

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
"I couldn't get to sleep last night. I kept imagining how I'd do lathe beds. Now I'm half asleep in the morning and predicted to be the warmest day of the year, so far"

Time to get the sun lounger out and have a snooze outside in the warmth........just remember to put your thermals on first :lol: :lol:
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
It was so beautiful out and I was so tired I didn't know what I was doing and meandered down to Lesters old tyme machine shop. Ended up with some steel pieces. Just to see what they were like......

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:21:40 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »
It was  heady mixture of experts. So I look forward your contribution.

Yipes! Definitely not at that level! Bad enough seeing in the last week a video of a homemade lathe that has micron accuracy, and then the Stepperhead in all it's shiny, innovative, and versatile glory. It's enough to make a guy say he isn't building a lathe, and then sort of accidentally have stuff get stuck together, purely coincidentally, that you can sort of turn stuff on, just like a lathe!

Steve

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 03:34:56 AM »
Looked at all this lovely steel. Thought that you could actually make a lathe with steel rather than cast iron.

I went out to buy a little 1/6th 2880rpm motor really. The rest of the thing was not of interest. I was making one-for the second time. Result, I came back with a steel, fabricated Stent tool and cutter grinder complete with the intended motor. Works just like the real cast iron one.

Keep going

Norman

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
Just as long as we remember that Steve isn't really building a lathe but just visualising what the materials to build one would look like. I look forward to more photos of this 'visualising' process. :lol:

....OZ.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »
What is that square tube there for?

Steve - don't step into dark side.

One day I have to leave work early and get some visual aids for my project.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »
Steve, I'm actually rather disappointed in you  :(

If you are going to REALLY make a lathe from scratch, first you need the iron ore and coke, cast your pigs and start mould making  :lol:

Now were it me, I'd find a suitable scraped lathe bed and try and fettle it back to life - unless I were keen enough to go down the epoxy granite route, which would be very interesting, home making a properly rigid bed is no small undertaking.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
Just trying to imagine sort of what a person could do, if they accidentally sawed up that tube into pieces and were trying to find a use for them. Maybe a sturdy ladder for their pet dachshund/border collie mix. Something that would last.... You'd probably want to get those rungs within a thou and square, or they wouldn't fit nice. Dogs is particular about that kind'o thing...

Pekka, oh that tube........  I tried to turn it over so the darkside didn't show -- but they're all dark.

Andrew, yes, I agree. But....... I'm not building a lathe, remember?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:23:09 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
Looks like a fantastic rigid bicycle chain you got there. You may need some heavy lumps place on each end to help bend it? it could take a long time for that to happen so you may need to stick it on a stand and wait for that to happen?  :thumbup:
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
Must be a bally heavy pet dog !!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »
Sturdy fence for garden gnomes? :thumbup:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

lordedmond

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
No it's a prototype camel back flat  :D

Stuart

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 03:34:20 AM »
Guaa...Now you did it. You stepped into the dark side. Lot of wonderful machine tools have been made with fairly standard fabrication methods. What was that italian CNC lathe? Also some propellors are being made that have time variable pitch.

Does it fit into any stress relieving oven you happen have nearby?

Don't tell me. You are NOT going to spoil that nice ladder by bolting something distantly flat on top of it?

Pekka

Offline Joe d

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »
Wow Steve, you're going to get a prize from your local SPCA....

How many guys build their dog their VERY OWN lathe? :bow: :bow:

Joe

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 08:24:27 AM »
Gosh, nobody believes me. Except Fletcher! :)

Fletcher says Pekka needs some stress relief....but he's kind of an opinionated little mutt who insists on doing things his own way. At this point I can only follow his instructions, Pekka. He's a combination of a herder, and an animal designed to attack badgers underground -- so you can imagine, he's very single minded when he's made any particular decision!  :beer:
Steve

Offline mattinker

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 09:07:11 AM »
Maybe a granite straight edge or a handy monumental mason gravestone off cut might get glued and bolted to the ladder to give it some stability!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
Fletcher may be on to something...I took one can of brew. One of those days.

Are we going to see some dogged determination on this matter?

Pekka

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
Oooh, don't let him see you do that Pekka.......he begs! :beer:
Steve

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
Pretty smart them Collies,but can a dog really build a centre lathe from a ladder,that's what I want to know. :scratch:.....OZ.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
Knock yourself up one of these ;-)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:31:21 PM by dsquire »
Bill

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »
Yes, yes Bill. I've already seen that in Rob's thread....rub it in whydoncha!

One of the main reasons I'm not building a lathe is because of that man and his micron precsison lathe! Standards have come altogether too high these days for a guy to feel comfortable making anything other than dog's ladders in a home shop.

Even then Fletcher is unusually lenient with me -- he saw the film, laid a paw on my shoe and said, "Don't worry about the ladder....sometimes crude work is attractive. You wouldn't want one of those lathes anyway -- just think, do ya really want to worry about whether on part of the granite bed was warmer than another while working, trying to hold that micron?"

I had to admit...... that might just take the fun out of it..... :beer:
Steve