Author Topic: Building a New Lathe  (Read 178281 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
Re: Building a New Lathe
« Reply #800 on: November 20, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
Today it seemed time to try graduating the cross slide collar. I could probably do the engraving with my mill-drill in the other shed, but I decided to proceed to try it as if I didn't own one, and also don't own a working dividing head, rotary table, or even a 100 tooth gear for indexing......uh.....all of which I actually don't own.  :wack: In other words, use the lathe to build itself, and a little careful thought about what is available.

So, to get a 100 division reference, I just drew up a circle in the good old free Google SketchUp 7, and made it out of 100 line segments. I connected the center and the circumference endpoints for one quadrant, then duplicated that 3 more times and rearranged them to make a fully divided circle.

Then I printed the circle out to just fit on a standard letter size sheet of paper (minus borders), which made it 7-1/2" diameter, and therefore also fitting a half inch inside my lathe's faceplate diameter of 8-1/2".

I also included a circle a little larger than my chuck diameter to cut out, so it would fit over the chuck while bolted to the faceplate.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
www.sredmond.com

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
« Reply #801 on: November 20, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »
Then I cut the circles out with an X-acto knife

Steve
www.sredmond.com

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
« Reply #802 on: November 20, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »
And taped the ring to my faceplate.  I found some hard piano wire, bent a loop in it, trapped that under one of the headstock bolts, and then bent it up to form a pointer over the paper divider ring.

I thought long and hard about how to fabricate a spindle lock. That seemed like another project in itself. But about that time I spied a scrap of softwood, and thought, hmmmmm, the lowly wedge...... probably mankind's first brake..... so why not try one?

A quick pass with a handsaw to shape it, inserting it between the faceplate and the front of the ways, a few light taps with a soft hammer and yes the spindle was immobilized. At least for the purposes of running a graver tool in the tool rest along a small brass collar, shaper style. There's little if any torque on the spindle for this operation so the pine brake should handle it.

I then turned an arbor to fit the brass collar in the 3-jaw. and left it in place to keep it perfectly on center. Here's the final set-up, for caveman style division engraving. Well not quite yet, I haven't ground a graving tool, or drilled and tapped the collar for a set screw, and it's now time for dinner. But tomorrow, we'll attack...... :zap:

Steve
www.sredmond.com

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #803 on: November 20, 2020, 07:18:46 PM »
I like it a lot. :thumbup:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
« Reply #804 on: November 21, 2020, 06:14:47 PM »
Thanks Kayzed  :beer:

After trying it out today on the new lathe, I like it a lot, too:

Steve
www.sredmond.com

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #805 on: November 21, 2020, 06:24:21 PM »
Nice

Offline Neubert1975

« Reply #806 on: November 24, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
nice work  :thumbup:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #807 on: November 24, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »
Looks good.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
« Reply #808 on: November 24, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »
Thanks Tom, and Neubert.  :beer: No photos today because I spent the day removing all of the components on the headstock end of the lathe. I had noticed that the wooden wedge was able to move the faceplate a tiny bit, and I wanted to find out why. The problem turned out to be the method of headstock fixing I had used. I had made an internal clamp bolted to a plate below the ways.

If you recall, the headstock had been made to slide along the ways while boring. This required a slight amount of clearance between the bottom face of the headstock, and the retaining plate screwed to the bottom. Placing a clamp on the inside of the headstock did not eliminate this clearance, because it pinched the way strips, but had no physical connection to the headstock other than the bottom plate. It prevented fore and aft movement, but, didn't fully eliminate the clearance. It was also originally just a temporary fixing, but I had in the years since forgotten about it.  :wack:

So now I'm going to file down the lands for the bottom plate, which will remove the clearance and pinch the headstock directly to the ways. And also I'm thinking about adding redundant bolts through the ways themselves and into the headstock. We'll see what kind of wrench access I have for doing this, because there's a horizontal shears support in the area.

Anyway it's probably about time to check the lathe throughout for tolerances, and make adjustments if needed. Also the carriage halfnut has occasionally popped out of engagement, and I want to adjust the detent and spring, as well as alignment with the leadscrew. Nothing fun made today, but I'll feel good after making sure the headstock mounting is solid and the lathe is fully operational, checked and aligned.
Steve
www.sredmond.com