Author Topic: Banjo Build  (Read 154776 times)

Offline Swarfing

Re: Banjo Build
« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2015, 04:51:03 AM »
All I am hearing is the deer hunter music in my head now  :hammer:
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2015, 05:24:32 AM »
Classical Gas? We had a cassette of that, don't recall any banjo tunes on it.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
Got the strings on.

Was a bit disappointed at first since it sounded especially quiet and muted. But after a bit I realised i'd just forgotten to put any tension on the head. In fact I realised that when one of the hooks fell off.

All seems good, aside from the crooked strings. The stupid tailpiece I made has a bit of sideways adjustment but I think this is more of a neck angle thing. I need to figure out exactly what angle to trim things to. The nut could do with remaking too since the 5th string is hard to thread through without first removing it; the hole in it is at a steep and unnecessary angle. But aside from all that it's all surprisingly good. Didn't need to adjust the truss rod, and the backwards neck angle seems about spot-on.

The neck is also fairly chunky but i'm not sure if that's a problem or just something to get used to.

Just gonna piss about with it like this for a bit. I'll probably take it apart tomorrow to make changes and stick shellac on. The tailpiece also needs finishing, and a bit of adjustment. All the strings are attached to that one screw visible in the previous post, and it's a little bit scary. I'm keeping an eye on it to make sure it's not bending or something, but really the string tension shouldn't be that strong. My big irrational fear with any banjo is that the tailpiece will somehow come loose and get launched at my face.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »
Simon it looks very professional.  :thumbup: Well done, it's been a long journey but I reckon that you've arrived  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2015, 03:07:56 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Well done Simon , thats one hell of a fine looking instrument  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Rob 

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
Duelling banjos from Deliverance......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »
Duelling banjos from Deliverance......

That's the one I meant

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
This has been a most enjoyable thread to follow. Thanks for all your work involved with sharing it.
Pete

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »
Cool project. Nice to see something different.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments but it's not quite over yet!

Today I got the finish on, after sanding a bit more of a skew angle on the neck join.

Took all damn day sticking it on and wet sanding it off. I put 3 'coats' of sawdust and shellac on to try fill the pores but it wasn't perfect, then I put alot of chunky coats on to try fill what remained and sanded that off, and repeated that alot.

The part of the neck you touch has turned out fairly well, there's a few funky pores here and there but I don't really care too much. The back of the headstock was looking great until I got a bit carried away and tried sand a slightly wet layer, the aftermath of which didn't fill too well but I could be at this crap for days. So tomorrow once it's good and hard i'm just going to go hog wild buffing it with a cloth. I've got some car polishing scubs and I'm willing to bet they'll work fine.

I was hoping to go for a satin finish since I always think gloss looks a bit tacky, but I think gloss is easier to do. At least, to get a satin i'd have to keep applying the damn stuff till all the pores are fully filled and sanded level.

But aside from that it's pretty much done. Just gotta stick it back together after it's shined which won't take long.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »
Gave it a buff with the T cut. Neck looks a bit better but there's still fairly visible pores.

Got a good shine though, despite the pores. In all honesty I think its a bit much but I can live with it.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #311 on: August 06, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
I wouldn't worry for a learning curve like this a flaw is just added character.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #312 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »
I think you will find that what you are calling flaws are better than a lot of peoples best. Be proud of it as I think you have done a fantastic job

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #313 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:29 PM »
It's done, just need to get some oil to oil the fretboard.

Shame about the splotches. They were already on the metal, I think they looked like weld spatter. I ground them flat but I guess the metal was different enough. I was also going to make one of those... lids. Alot of older banjo tailpieces have an extra hinged bit of metal that covers most of the tailpiece and I guess hides the termination of the strings, or at least protects them from getting bumped. I thought it'd hide the mess but I think it'd just add to it!

Having the strings terminate above the pivot point was a bad idea since this tends to pull the tailpiece down.

Oh I just noticed I forgot to fully screw in the pivot pin! I'm lucky it hasn't come loose...

Trying to adjust the neck didn't seem to do much but shorten it. But the gap on the right is consistent all the way up the neck, so again I can live with it~

Note the end of the fretboard. I tried routing that again to match the slightly shorter neck, but had problems and needed to carve most of it with a chisel so it's a bit lumpy.

I think the headstock came out quite nice. The seams in the burl don't line up properly, but the truss rod cover is canted a bit which helps hide that somewhat.

The nut probably needs doing again through. String spacing isn't great but the 5th string makes it through without any difficulty, which is nice.

Recorded a test video, just to see how it'd go. The camera microphone isn't so great so i'll probably end up doing it next to my computer and using a better microphone.

Also it's hard to find stills that don't look weird. So here's a still of me looking very apathetic.

Anyways I know i'm mostly pointing out the bad things, and i'm not trying to beat myself up (or humble myself!). I just think they're interesting.

Now I've got to sort through over 135GB of video clips and try figure out how to best make the video.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #314 on: August 06, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
Amazing! Just think how much easier the next one will be!

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2015, 05:29:55 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this thread, you have created a beautiful instrument made with care passion and great craftsmanship..I enjoyed seeing your work and tool habits and i learned things too..I also enjoyed the flaws and faults as they are apart of life and you accept them well as we all should..

Again well done sir..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
a fine job in deed

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »
 :D :) :headbang: :headbang: :D :) :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :bow: :beer:

Really nice work!

But you didn't mention the most important bit.....

....how does it sound?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »
:D :) :headbang: :headbang: :D :) :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :bow: :beer:

Really nice work!

But you didn't mention the most important bit.....

....how does it sound?

I'm not great at describing sounds. Mostly because most banjos sound the same to me, and only start sounding different when directly compared. Although this one is fairly loud and doesn't sound muted or anything, so that's a plus.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
Waiting patiently for a video of you playing your creation...Still haven't found the song I was thinking about, but I can still hear it, late at night, when the house is quiet...

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline DavidA

« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
May I suggest 'Don't cross the river (if you can't swim the tide)'  By America.

Dave.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »
Top Class Simon, you will see every little fault but not many others will it looks like you went to the banjo shop and bought a top end banjo if I did not know better.
    Real good result ,remember its the first one you have made and you have done it without having that much equiptment etc too, then the distractions of making most of what you have needed too.
  Looking forward to the video , The duelling banjo music is called something like blueberry hill I think ? There is a good video clip on youtube. The HillBilly boy is class  :thumbup:

Top marks.......... If you want satin finish you can lightly sand with finest scotchbright type pad then wax it, leaves a not so plastic type shine on the way to satin, but test on a inside part etc first just in case.

Cheers Mick
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:10:23 AM by micktoon »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
Hope you don't think I'm too repetitive with praise Simon, but you just keep surprising with how great this banjo is. I can't ever match up what i read with all the negative references, and what I see when the pics arrive. I do know it was a struggle for you at times, but you seem to have won every one of them handily. Congratulations, man! :bow: :bow: :bow: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »
Hope you don't think I'm too repetitive with praise Simon, but you just keep surprising with how great this banjo is. I can't ever match up what i read with all the negative references, and what I see when the pics arrive. I do know it was a struggle for you at times, but you seem to have won every one of them handily. Congratulations, man! :bow: :bow: :bow: :beer:

Don't worry, I appreciate compliments as much as anyone!

Well it's been a few days and i've finally finished... the first draught of the script. I've got 15 pages of stuff that I felt was pretty brief (except for a couple of pages where I really lost enthusiasm). The drum sander was 5 pages, so I'm going to have to put some effort into editing this down.

I didn't spend 4 solid days on it, but i'd say it has taken me about 8 solid hours organizing and watching boring clips. For example I decided to record 6 minutes of my ass, and I watched all of it trying to remember why (I was intending to show how I have to step around the clutter in my garage, but it ended up as 6 minutes of my ass). I can't stop myself from recording loads of barely interesting garbage as if i'm short of stuff to talk about in a video.

As for what song I should play... I don't want to make a meal out of it but i've got too much time to think about it! I'm tempted to try work out a good arrangement for Baggy Trousers since it works surprisingly well on the banjo. Still a bit of a crap song without the bassline though.

If all else fails i'll just play Steve Earle Tennessee Blues since it's fairly inoffensive and easy to play. Although my singing might make it offensive.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2015, 03:57:35 AM »
Lol, bring it on Simon, you will be getting bookings for weddings and birthdays if you sing well   :thumbup:
  How about some bag pipes next then   :bugeye:
  I spoke to someone who played a banjo and asked about the duelling banjo song and he said he thought that was its name, I mistakenly thought that when you have the two banjos having turns each, that was itself duelling banjos and could be done with various songs ? Music has never been my best subject lol.

Well done again
 Cheers Mick