Author Topic: My New Shop  (Read 14675 times)

Offline SteveM

My New Shop
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »
I'm going to post a picture. Please delete if I've broken any rules! Here's my current shop in the back of my business. [embed=425,349][/embed] Before I post any more I'll wait for feedback. Last summer I purchased a house, 5 acres, and 30x50 shop on which I'm currently working. I hope to turn the day to day operations of my business to my step-son fairly soon and am improving the shop with that in mind:) Thanks for a great group, I've learned a lot lurking here!

Offline John Rudd

Re: My New Shop
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
Hi Steve, :wave:
Judging by the make of tool chest you have there, I'd say you were across the pond...
That said, I'd be envious....because you have access to more tool merchants than we have here in the UK....(IMHO....)
Great shop you have there, but I need more fotos of your lathe and mill......I like drooling....  :D :D
Looks like a Shop Fox mill you have? Model?
More info required please.....
Got any pictures of stuff you've made?   :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
 :Shop Fox 9 49 mill with 2 axis D RO. I added the Z axis. Some coincidence involved but I ended up with a Shop Fox 12x36 lathe with zero  hours for  bargain price! Sometimes lucky is better than  good. LOL.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »
No rules broken!

Nice tools!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
Have done a little more work in the new shop. Framed side walls, insulated, hung OSB, and painted.

Yesterday I cleaned up some of the mess in preparation for the next installment. Tucked this card file away under a stairwell and belive I can fit two more in that space.

I also painted two lateral file cabinets and built storage behind them. They will bracket a 10 or 12ft 30 inch wide bench once it's all complete. I presently deciding whether to try modifying some file cabinets for under bench storage.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
Slowly making progress. 10 ft bench with lateral files on each end.

Some storage under the stairwell
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62znQZqb6FdbG9jLVdkZE5GN3M/view?usp=sharing

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
More Pictures

Offline SteveM

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »
First picture is small parts storage under stairwell in working area of the shop which is 28x30. Second is 10 ft work bench with lateral files on each end for storage, and last is 20x28 room which was already finished I painted and still need to replace drooping ceiling tiles and insulate.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »
The 10' bench is nice but should have something in the center to prevent sagging it's coming along nice though!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
The 10' bench is nice but should have something in the center to prevent sagging it's coming along nice though!
2x6 and 20" deep with ladder construction on 16" centers. If there's a problem it will be an easy fix.l Anticipated use for inspection and layout. Thanks for looking.

Actually I think you're right Tom. I'll do that in the next few days:)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:46:33 PM by SteveM »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
Just an update. I was planning for my step son to take over the buisness next year but fate lead him in a different direction. This Friday I will close the sale with a 3 year employeed and soon be among the unemployed:) Will spend the month of August assisting as needed and in September be able to focus on more important things. LOL. Thanks for listening.!

Offline trapper

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:12 AM »
Very nice workshop,plenty space,good luck in future.Workwise when one door closes another opens.You certainly have plenty to keep you busy-would dream of having a workshop like that

Offline SteveM

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
A lot has changed  since my last post. I closed on the business 7-31 and have helped the new owner a few hours a day as needed. He let me go at 11:00am Thursday and will go back in at 9:30 tomorrow, Monday. I spend Thusday afternoon and about 6-7 hours in the shop Fri-Sunday. Unfortunately our temps have been 100+ and that was all I could stand. Today I removed a window and framed for window AC unit, ran the wire and installed box and Lo and behold.........it works! That will help as our temps won't be going down soon but I'll have  a cool place when needed:)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
The saga continues. Have been working on electrical and storage and what ever else pops into my mind. Friday I drove to Dallas, TX and put a deposit on 19x120 Summit lathe with 4 inch bore.That throws my floor plan out the window AND means I'll need a jib crane? It must be fun or I wouldn't do this to myself. LOL.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 02:35:19 AM »
That 4" bore is nice I leased a 20" x 17' from Modern Tools years ago on a venture that I got screwed out of it will make life easier chucking materials.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 07:44:12 AM »
I hung six 4 ft-6 ulb-T5 fixtures and one RAB LED 350 watt metal halide equivalent yesterday. It was HOT at the top of my yet uninsulated building! Should have electrical mostly finished next week. Sure glad to cross that off the list. Will post pics with LIGHT soon:)

Offline krv3000

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:44 PM »
brill

Offline SteveM

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »
Yesterday I picked up 10ftx10ft roll up door and materials. Also located a used jib crane and plan to pick it up next week. A lot of work left but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel:)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »
No pictures but the roll up door is installed and adjusted with just some trim remaining. I framed in that end of the shop, insulated, ran wires and mounted electrical so the ground level is almost fnished . Called the spray foam people and hope that will be finished next week. Since I have the larger lathe I also picked up a jib crane and hope to have that mounted soon. With a little luck should be operational by mid October. Or a little later because I have a trip planeed which will eat up about a week but it's a family thing which is long over due:)