Author Topic: Tomorrow I will ache, but tonight...  (Read 7865 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Tomorrow I will ache, but tonight...
« on: November 25, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
...I am filled with a sense of achievement  :ddb:

It's not much of a thing... move the lathe 3'6" towards the staircase, and raise it 1" off the floor onto a new false floor (to avoid the puddle which forms whenever it rains). However, things aren't that easy...

- The lathe is an Edgwick Mk1, which weighs, according to the manual, at least a ton (net weight 21.5cwt, gross weight 25.5cwt, I'm not sure which one to use).
- There's just me here.
- All I have to assist me is a 5ft pry bar and a couple of offcuts of bar to act as rollers.

TBH the hardest bit was lifting the bugger up an inch... somehow, it happened though, and here's the lathe in its new (still temporary) home... with a nice big working space in front of it which will soon be filled with other machinery no doubt  :lol: For reference, it was approximately in line with the compressor, the yellow blob to the left of the picture

I still need to move it a couple of inches to the right, so the headstock's fully on the false floor, but the pry bar is slipping on the concrete, so I may have to wait for some assistance before I do that.

Managed to use another packet of that damned laminate floor stuff too. Only a random packet and a half to go!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline chipenter

Re: Tomorrow I will ache, but tonight...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
Well done I can see the fresh marks in the concrete , we have only to pick up a Colchester Master (700kgs) trasport it ten miles , and put it where the Little John is now and put that in place of the Chinees import , but not on my own .
Jeff

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
Nice spot for it I hate moving things around my son and I have moved everything in the garage  probably 4 / 5 times so far bringing the garage back to good condition now we are down to the final placement of things.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
Nice lathe, nice job! I have to do a similar soon when I move all my machines from one end of the shop to the other, about 15m. It is surprising what you can do with a small prybar and rollers, and as you so rightly say, getting them up the first inch is the hardest, and scariest! slow and steady wins the race, I always try to have someone else there, but for safety only, anyone who adds brute force to the job can quickly turn it into a disaster!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »

- The lathe is an Edgwick Mk1, which weighs, according to the manual, at least a ton (net weight 21.5cwt, gross weight 25.5cwt, I'm not sure which one to use).

Definitely 25.5CWT! i moved mine not long ago, I used a hydraulic Jack as well as rollers and a crow bar!

It looks nice in green! Cheers, Matthew.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »
AdeV,

.. (to avoid the puddle which forms whenever it rains)..

Hate to pour cold water on your parade, but that laminate, if it is the normal stuff made up from 1/4" MDF clad on both sides with something like Melamine, will rot and break up as soon as your next puddle forms around it.

Much better to use something more durable.

Better still to stop the water getting in.

Dave.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:47:37 AM »
Hi Dave,

It's nailed to some sturdy plywood... yes, it's not going to last forever (or even particularly long), but it's only temporary. The lathe needs to be swung 90 degrees into it's final position, but I can't do that until I've re-arranged some more of the workshop to free up floor space. Give it another 18-24 months or so... and I should be just about getting there....  :coffee:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »

High Ade

The lathe stands out now like King of the workshop. I like a good move around but not to often. It seems to
 renew my enthusiasm for new projects.

Good Luck
                                                                            Cheers David