Author Topic: Dremel in lathe tool post question  (Read 8467 times)

Offline Bangkok Mick

Dremel in lathe tool post question
« on: April 06, 2015, 02:40:22 AM »
I am looking to purchase a Dremel tool post holder for indexing and having looked on E Bay see that the available chucks only go up to 3.3mm shaft diameter however most center drills are 4mm diameter. As this is a common application how would one usually get over this.

Also is it recommended to fit the flexi cord in a tool post holder as this would be easier to fabricate or would it be better to attach the Dremel drill itself to the tool post.

Cheers Mick

Offline Jasonb

Re: Dremel in lathe tool post question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:02:37 AM »
1/8" centre drills are easily available as are 3mm spotting drills. Bearings in the Dremel are better than the flex so best to hold the main tool, thread on the end is 3/4 x 12 BSF

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:08:00 AM »
Thanks for that Jason

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 04:09:40 AM »
Hi Mick.
I never use a centre drill, except for holes to locate centres into.........

For drill starting, I use a spotting drill. One of these will last for years......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-HSS-Co8-90-DEGREE-NC-SPOTTING-SPOT-DRILL-EUROPA-OSBORN-8214020300-D25-/271411460020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f316237b4

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:35:31 AM »
Thanks David, I have just orderd on from your link

Cheers Mick

Offline PT. Johansen

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »
I'm probably too late, but it might be advantageous to have a look at Proxxons LBS/E, if you are going to invest in a dremel type tool.
http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28485.php?list

I have used both for many years, but I must admit I think the LBS/E is the better of the two. It runs quieter and is easier to Mount on the lathe with the long 20mm neck.

In the end they both do the same job, and have more or less the same spec.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Having gone the flex cable route, I agree with Jason, now. The bearings did not hold up well. I'm sure there are better brands than the no-name version I used, but frankly, I'm personally leaning toward making a Pott's spindle some day, of the version that (the non-youtube) Tubal Caine worked out using a moveable stanchion for the overhead pulley support. Fergus, step forward here..... :)
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »
I actually have the Dremel already it is just the mounting I am now looking at, I have ordered some mounting brackets and a new chuck so hope to be in action soon.

Cheers Mick

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:03:31 AM »
Having gone the flex cable route, I agree with Jason, now. The bearings did not hold up well. I'm sure there are better brands than the no-name version I used, but frankly, I'm personally leaning toward making a Pott's spindle some day, of the version that (the non-youtube) Tubal Caine worked out using a moveable stanchion for the overhead pulley support. Fergus, step forward here..... :)

Got TWO different Potts spindles. Gave the 3rd one to a watch and clock friend. See note of mine to Eugene but if one wants the easy and cheap and nasty way, you make a 43mm collar for the cross slide and hang a standard electric drill on it, or a wood router as a tool post grinder wqhich in my case was a Bosch TP grinder which became a wood router and I made into TP grinde again.

Presumably, the classic and rather elegant thing is a Quorn spindle or even more elegant(?) is a Stent one on its vertical slide- which is better than the pair of Potts jobs.

Jet lag and intravenous coffee are pressing.

Norm

Offline drmico60

• mikesworkshop
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
I have used a flexible drive shaft connected to a normal portable electric drill to make a toolpost drill for the lathe. This works very well, see:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/toolpost-drill.html

Mike

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I've used one on modifying full size cylinder heads, using dental drills- both foot and mechanical and lots of other uses, which I've forgotten. But how do you reverse one?  Well, I cannot and don't know anyone who can.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
Good to see your drive shaft and bearing mods on that flexible shaft, drmico. Maybe there's a use for mine then as well with modifications.

Probably I could discard the whoe plastic handpiece, and make a new end piece with proper bearing.  And a shape to fit a toolpost easily. Basically just salvaging the cable and cable housing.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg