Author Topic: Bike Timing Sprocket.  (Read 22220 times)

Offline Zadig

Re: Bike Timing Sprocket.
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »
Thanks John,

This might help you with your questions:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10435.0.html

I'm not a bike man myself although I do appreciate them. This guy has a rare talent in my opinion.

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »
Thanks Jon.

I have to admit I cheated and used a CNC mill.

Is that how you machined the angled entry to each of the sprocket teeth?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Zadig

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 01:28:47 AM »
Anzaniste: yes, the code was generated in the software - too easy!

I have a notion to build a full size Anzani three cylinder engine of the type used by Bleriot's cross channel plane - I don't suppose you are an Anzani Guru are you?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Photographed last summer at the Owl's Head museum:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
Steve

RobWilson

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Steve that there new fangled flying  machine has the the wrong engine in it  :poke:

I have a notion to build a full size Anzani three cylinder engine of the type used by Bleriot's cross channel plane - I don't suppose you are an Anzani Guru are you?

There is nee friggin way you would get me up it this .  ( Paris ,Musee des Arts et Metiers 2013) , there  are no  head or arm rests   :loco:

The engine is very interesting though  :med: and would make a cracking project , think I have drawings for it some were  :scratch:

Rob

PS , canny job machining the new sprocket  :thumbup: , reminds me I must get my cheating CNC mill finished  :lol: :lol:

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
Hi there, all,

Forgive me if this is   :offtopic:  Here I go, swinging the lamp again:

A few years ago, I was talking with an older relative, telling her that my father had worked for a time for Weymanns (coachworks) at Addlestone in Surrey.  Much to my surprise, she told me that the building had previously (i.e. before Weymanns) been used to assemble Bleriot monoplanes from parts brought over from France.  The works had a special license to wheel the completed aircraft, presumably with their wings unshipped, a few hundred yards down the main street of Addlestone to the railway station for onward delivery to customers.

See here  http://www.timebus.co.uk/rlh/weymann.htm

While at Weymanns my father did some work on lorries but he told me that their principal line was building 'Black Marias', used to transport prisoners to and from prison and the courts.  They weren't actually black but a very deep navy blue, applied in many coats each rubbed down with cuttlefish bone in preparation for the next coat.  They had six cells, three on each side of a central corridor.  In case a prisoner refused to come out, each cell had a ceiling rose that could be connected to a convenient fire hydrant!

The web-site I've linked-to above is primarily about buses - I don't remember my father ever mentioning buses.  However, I do know that Weymanns used to make high quality motor car bodies as did Park Ward and Tickfords.

Coming back to aviation - a few hundred yards from the Weymanns site was the factory of 'The Airscrew Company and Jicwood Limited'.  The 'Airscrew Company' bit made beautiful laminated wooden aircraft propellors while the 'Jicwood' bit was an early chipboard factory.  There must have been some sort of a link to Weymanns because, on a school tour, in 1952-ish, we were shown huge panels of moulded expanded rubber, destined to become the insulating layer in bus roofs (or rooves!!).   
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Zadig

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 02:41:16 AM »
Thanks for the pictures guys. It never ceases to amaze me how one idle sentence can open up avenues and provide a new outlook - cheers.

I paid a visit to RAF Cosworth a number of years back to visit the museum there. I expected a half arsed run affair but it is far from that and well worth a visit. Towards the end of the tour (so to speak) I came across a little Tri-radial engine with Anzani cast into the front of it, I was taken with it and it has never been far from my mind. The engine was a cross between both the engines in the above pictures. It was an inverted Y format with a flat fronted crankcase. I think Les Chenery may have produced castings for a scaled down version. I've deliberately not done too much research on the thing, I need to get the Burrell out of the way first. Rob, what are the drawings you have and can you remember where you got them? It doesn't matter if they are for the W format engine.

That was interesting Pete, thanks for putting it up. You never know where this kind of knowledge will lead to.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
The exhaust ports on the upright version are so reminiscent of the simplest steam uniflow exhausts! My pipe n' bolt steam engine has simple drilled ports, too.
Rob, probably the plywood bulkhead in the photos I put up (and the distributor out back) aren't too accurate, either, now you mention it!  :)
That one at Owl's head is a replica of a 1910 version, apparently. Though the engne is supposed to be a genuine Anzani of that year. Not the channel crosser, though..
Steve

RobWilson

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
Its still a fine looking aircraft Steve  :thumbup: 

Thanks for the pictures guys. It never ceases to amaze me how one idle sentence can open up avenues and provide a new outlook - cheers.

Rob, what are the drawings you have and can you remember where you got them? It doesn't matter if they are for the W format engine.

:lol: :lol: aye the twists and turns of a Madmodder thread  :) This is a wee bit safer project  ,,,,wonder if I could get an MOT/SVA   :scratch:

PM sent regards engine drawings .

Rob

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
Hi Zadig,
Aha !! Lost in translation  :doh: :doh:
We would refer to these as "magneto" sprockets as opposed to timing sprockets
tomatoe- tomato ???

Yes I have already read all the way through  the restoration thread on the "lighthouse" OK Supreme which of course has timing gears  :scratch:

Regards
John

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
John, I did wonder the same about it being a magneto sprocket when I saw the photos of the taper bore......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 01:54:16 AM »
Anzaniste: yes, the code was generated in the software - too easy!

Guru, no, enthusiast yes :thumbup:

My interest stems from the fact that the engine in my Frazer Nash, illustrated in my avatar, is a 1497cc side valve Anzani. Surprisingly the engine has roller tappets.

I too have a fancy to build a full size of the "W" engine and would be interested to know more about the drawings, can you help Rob?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Zadig

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 04:30:08 AM »
Have you seen the website:

http://www.pioneeraviator.com

He's made a nice job of a batch of W fan engines. He talks of producing the three cylinder Y too.
The Fan engine certainly has more applications at ground level. If I come across anything I'll keep you informed. Now might be the time to do a little research.

RobWilson

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »

I too have a fancy to build a full size of the "W" engine and would be interested to know more about the drawings, can you help Rob?

I just have drawings for "Y"  config ,,,,,,,,,,,PM me if your still interested  :thumbup:     ,,,,,,,,,,,mined I am sure I did have some "W"  info some were  :scratch:

Rob 

Offline kuutiopää

• Everything goes if hammer is big enough!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 12:33:38 PM »
Thanks Zadig, chainwheel is brilliant.  :ddb: