Author Topic: New Bench  (Read 4166 times)

Offline mexican jon

New Bench
« on: January 24, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
After a good clean up in the fab. shop I decided I'd increase the bench space  :thumbup: Think i went a little over board  :loco: it's 40x40x3 box with a 3mm plate top  :clap: I'm pretty sure this is unbreakable  :) I even managed to get the same shade of red primer that I painted the existing bench in about 20 years ago  :drool:

People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: New Bench
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
I see that new larger horizontal surface has already started gathering stuff. following the unwritten law of workshops and horizontal surfaces.
Loos good, sturdy and blends in well with the paint job. No top coat? Well, let's not rush into it, after all the original has waited 20+ years you say. Plus, it's only going to get dinged anyway or it's not a work bench.
Good job.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:12:50 AM »
After a good clean up in the fab. shop I decided I'd increase the bench space  :thumbup: Think i went a little over board  :loco: it's 40x40x3 box with a 3mm plate top  :clap: I'm pretty sure this is unbreakable  :) I even managed to get the same shade of red primer that I painted the existing bench in about 20 years ago  :drool:

Looks good, mate.

Did you just lay the 3mm top on the base, or did you weld that on as well? Screws?

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:28:44 AM »

Looks good, mate.

Did you just lay the 3mm top on the base, or did you weld that on as well? Screws?

The top is stitch welded at the sides and back  :thumbup: seam welded at the front (I wanted to dress the front edge to be smooth) and then it is stitch welded underneath to every cross brace  :thumbup:

Now here's a slightly craze thing  :scratch: once I had completed the welding on the top I went over it with a small hammer to make sure that it didn't resonate at all  :loco: I did find a couple of spots so they got extra stitches welded  :loco:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:14:15 AM »
I see nothing crazy about using a hammer like that! wish I could weld, such a table has been on my todo list for a long time now. I have a cheap home depot stick welder, but was not able to do anything useful with it yet.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:19 AM »
That is very nice. Looks very nice to me. That sort of top does not come nearly straight voluntarily/automativally. I bet it need a little tought and some persuation.

I can just about glue with stick. Brother has TIG and plasma I resort to his help most of the time when seam has to be right.

Pekka

Offline wickermonkey

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
Nice,  wish a had the room to fit another gathering surface

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
soon be full