Author Topic: Bratislava , Slovakia  (Read 3714 times)

RobWilson

Bratislava , Slovakia
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:19:06 AM »
Hi Lads

Is there anyone out there from or has visited Bratislava ?   could anyone recommend things to see/do .

Rob 

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Bratislava , Slovakia
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:06:02 AM »
Hii Rob

By the sound of things you must be going traveling soon. I am sure your camera wll find many things that are interesting. Maybe a good boot sale?   :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:10:08 AM »
I do see that it has a border with Ukraine.  So things may feel a bit 'tense' there.

Dave.

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Hii Rob

By the sound of things you must be going traveling soon. I am sure your camera wll find many things that are interesting. Maybe a good boot sale?   :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Hi Don ,

Yes I haver wee trip planned , wile  in Vienna for a few day I thought I may catch a river boat down the Danube to Bratislava .I am just wondering if there are any hidden gems .

I only do one car boot sale a year  :lol: 

I do see that it has a border with Ukraine.  So things may feel a bit 'tense' there.

Dave.

I doubt it will be a problem Dave ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you should try Newcastle on a Saturday night for tense  :lol:

Rob
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:53:35 PM by RobWilson »

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
Rob, I asked my fellow brewers about Bratislava:

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,9753.0.html

&

http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10976

Hint: There is at least one sensible reply!!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

RobWilson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
Thanks for doing that Will much appreciated  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:08 AM »
Hi Rob,

I live in Vienna, and took the boat ride to Bratislava with my wife two summers ago. Forget worries about security, ukraine etc. Bratislava is 50km from Vienna, the safest million person city on earth. If is 1 1/2 countries away from Kiev, which is a half a huge country away from the conflicted parts of Ukraine.

It is a nice city. the day of walking around was great. You will end up walking up to the castle which was burnt down about a century ago, and newly rebuilt. Didn't have much in it whe we were there.

Walked around the town, looking at buildings. Had a long lunch in the pedestrian zone. In the after took a long walk along the bank of the Danube, which has  modern promenade with lots of shops, cafes bars etc. On the day we went it was really nice and sunny (at least till the late afternoon thunderstorm) so we didn't bother doing museams and indoor sites.

If you want to be more flexible, and save some dough, you can also take a train, rather than the river boat. The trains go much more often.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:49:59 AM by RotarySMP »
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

RobWilson

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
Hi Mark

I never had any worries about security , the thought never crossed my mined . Just fancy getting the boat for a change , as I do allot of travel by train on holiday .
Took  the train from Newcastle to Budapest  and back last year .
I do like Vienna ,home to a cracking Technical Museum , which Mr Wilson will be visiting wile the good wife is at the Spanish riding school .

Rob