Author Topic: Harrogate 2015  (Read 26173 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Harrogate 2015
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
Well...... What a grand day!  :thumbup:

So good to meet other members. If only, briefly.

Two more names to add, John Stevenson, Frazer Heslop.

Never opened my wallet! (Thanks to a thrifty, Yorkshire upbringing).   

Though, after some negotiations in the carpark. A couple of very nice stirling engines, traveled home with us.........

Good day. Good company. Thanks Lads, (and Mrs. Rudd).  :mmr:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:32 PM »
 :D Thanks John DB for the top video watched this morning :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 05:08:31 AM »
Well back from the 3 days at the show and a very enjoyable time

Now the show, Really enjoyed myself, met many new people and also renewed acquaintance with many old friends. I feel that Harrogate is the best show of the year. It has an atmosphere that seems to be lacking at other shows. Plenty of room, dedicated halls with plenty of power, good hard standing parking and plenty of space for the larger models to run around outside.

I was there for one reason, if you don't count my jolly, and that was to demonstrate the end mill grinder. This was on my time, my shilling and not paid for by ARC although I did get a free meal on Saturday night so the £4 is now down to £3 wink

First off got loads on negative views ranging from it only sharpens the ends [ Yes it was ONLY designed for that in the same way a Myford lathe can't plasma cut metal ]

You can buy a lot of milling cutters for £800 [ perfectly true and if you are someone who won't use £800 worth of milling cutters in you life then a valid point and so it's not for you ] Acra Machine tools were also there with a very large and heavy industrial 14 x 40 lathe with a price tag of £8,000. That won't fit in the average 10 x 6 wooden shed with single phase but didn't stop them coming and I'll bet they didn't have anyone telling them it was too expensive ?

So once the negatives were out the way and simply discounted we got on to the serious players. I had a LOT of interest from a few clubs who soon realised they need to spend money or pay tax and the spin off is once paid for it is then a source of revenue all year and not just fine track days.

A couple of University workshops expressed an interest as did a few serious model engineers who have the foresight to look ahead. Milling cutters are never going to get cheaper and good carbide has never been cheap.

Over the weekend I sharpened a total of 232 cutters brought in by punters, split 91, 71 and 70 on the Sunday. Average commercial price for doing cutters is about £5.50 upwards.

I did many that were good cutters but commercially not viable to sharpen. One one is going to pay £5.50 to regrind a 4mm cutters costing less than this but it now has a new life.

I could have done more but a lot of time was spent repeating how it works and how to set up. I also ground 40 / 50 ? that I brought up in case I had no cutters from punters. These were not included in the total of 232.

I was never hard pushed, often had 3 or 4 people waiting but it wasn't a bind.

These were mainly HSS but probably 20% were carbide. In fact the first person on Friday rolled up with 7 carbide cutters that he gleefully told me I wouldn't be able to do anything with as they were chipped and badly broken [ nice one smiley ]

He left after about 15 minutes with 6 of them sharpened perfectly and has to come back later for the 7th as I had to grind about 8mm off it.

Worst one was an extended 1/2" cutter with about the last 5/8" badly damaged and the guy was perfectly willing to scrap this due to the damage but it survived to cut another day. I was a shame to waste a long cutter like this.

All this was done for free with donations asked for the Children's Heart Trust, a charity my daughter is involved with. No price was inferred or offered, it being left to the punter and I made a point of not even looking at what went in the collection box, most paid but some I think didn't realise there was a charity box and said thanks and walked off, not worried.

At the end of the weekend I had collected £170.89 for the charity and I'd like to take this chance to thank everyone who called round the stand, whether they brought cutters or not, for their company and support.

I'd also like to extend my thanks to the organises of the Harrogate show for the help and friendly support given.
John Stevenson

Offline krv3000

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »
hi all a bit late in the post but nice to meet follow madmodders had a brill day thanks to john and mick 

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2015, 10:26:25 PM »
Sounds like all had a ripping time but all left camera at home except John  :lol:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »
lol had me camera just to biz looking at all the booty and the tools to

Offline krv3000

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
hi I rely enjoyed the event but I was hoping to get sum broken D.T.Is for more post on haw to fix them

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »
Sounds like all had a ripping time but all left camera at home except John  :lol:

One of the Steamtoys members, was there. And, he knows how to work a camera........ http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/about82005.html

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
Great photos! I particularly liked the little blue steam roller and the steam motorcycle.... :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »

Finally made my mind up and ordered the GH550 from Warco after haggling (thanks to 'ER indoors intervening..) for some freebies...

Have you got it then ??? Shows as 'No Stock' on the Warco site.

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
Dave,
After hearing about the experiences of someone who had a WM series machine back to Warco for repair to the tune of £200 plus after just over 12 months , I decided against it and cancelled....

Got my eye on a Chester machine now...£3k with all the toys.....DRO/qctp/coolant system.... etc......hmmmmm nice...just need to find room.   :scratch:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2015, 04:00:52 AM »
Ah! What  a bummer ...  :(   Looks a nice purposeful machine too ...

Far too posh for the likes of me of course ....  :lol:

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.