Author Topic: Diesel cars  (Read 41261 times)

Offline wgw

Re: Diesel cars
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2015, 04:53:15 AM »
I'm putting my my most economical diesel car back on the road, 500cc twin cylinder automatic. I'll have have to get used to the power drop after the 2CV.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2015, 06:29:51 AM »
Ade,

The devil has a special place waiting for you.

wgw,

Which 500 cc twin is that ? Sounds like a lawn mower engine, Are you having one of your silly moments, or are you serious ? :scratch:

I checked the engine revs last time I was out. The Saxo is going 46 mph at 2000 rpm.
I can tootle around town and many of our urban roads without passing 2500. Good for the economy.
If I remember correctly, when I went to visit NormanV over by Skegness I got around 63 mpg overall. Not bad for the mixed flat 'A' roads and the motorway sections.

Must go down and get a front wheel bearing before they close.

See you all later.

Dave.

By the way, tonight's subject is the Toyota Prius.

Offline wgw

« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
DavidA- Never had a silly moment, my wife might disagree. 500 twin diesel- Lombadini ?, fitted in my Ligier car.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »

Offline DavidA

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2015, 05:02:51 AM »
Now, would this ban be for Diesel fueled cars or for compression ignition cars in general ?

My point being would a 'Diesel' engined car that is running on bio Diesel (a methyl ester) be included in this  ?

My Citroen gives much lower emissions on bio fuel than it does on Diesel (DERV).

Ironic that  the French are the first to try and kill the Diesel. They were the first to sell a production car fitted with a Diesel engine. And yes, it was a Citroen.

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2015, 05:22:35 AM »
The French aren't the first - we already have the 'Low emissions zone' in London that differentiates between vehicles based on a calculation of what is expected to come out of the exhaust.

Ironic in that the way they've done it with for example Land Rovers is that precisely the same chassis / engine / gearbox can be treated in different ways depending on the number of seats originally supplied  :scratch:

But it was done by politicians so what can you expect   :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
 Arbalist,

I note that you picked up on this back in response #23.

It really looks as if they (the French) are going to go for it.

Dave.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
They estimate 420,000 premature deaths a year in Europe due to air pollution largely caused by diesel emissions so they have to do something. As diesel car usage has gone up so have pollution levels in Europes capitals. Banning diesels is a start but I expect they'll also be a drive (pun intended) to make petrol vehicles cleaner.

For longer distances is this the future of public transport?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/21/japans-maglev-train-notches-up-new-world-speed-record-in-test-run

Offline Arbalist

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
On the subject of diesel motors.
Has any one who owns a VW diesel motor had the fix done yet and if so how long did the software update take?
Lyn.