Author Topic: Defect Aloris BXA?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline McSpuds

Defect Aloris BXA?
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
Hi everyone,
I purchased a genuine Aloris BXA for my Harrison L5, my lathe is the non T-Slot type compound.
Theres 4 way dickson on it right now, but I set about making a threaded adapter sleeve, internally threaded to 1/2 12 to screw down over the existing bolt that holds down the dickson, and drop the aloris down over that then.

Thing is, I notice the internal bore of the new Aloris is wider at the top, than it is a the bottom! Even the top 2/3rds of the bore have a drill bit finish, with the bottom inch or so having a smaller diameter reamed finish! The top half of the bore measures 0.640", and the bottom is 0.628", with a very obvious step at the point where the bore diameter changes.

Can any of you tell me if I have a dud on my hands or if its normal for some reason? Should I buy a reamer and straighten it all out? I'm puzzled by this, these are supposed to be the bees knees quality wise, but I fail to see the reason for this.
Thanks alot! :)
Seamie

Offline Manxmodder

Re: Defect Aloris BXA?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
I think the Aloris posts are hardened so reaming is out of the question......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
Seamie.

It's not necessary, to have full length location on the centre stud. Just, 1/2" high would be sufficient.

Provided the toolpost, sits on a flat surface. With a close fitting plug, locating in the .628" bore.

My thoughts......

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline DavidA

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:53:22 AM »
It could actually be a disadvantage if the thing was a good fit all the way through.  Making it awkward to remove.

I go with David D on this one.

Mind,  you could always email the manufacturer for clarification.

Dave.

lordedmond

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:44:42 AM »
Thinking out loud

If it was a good reamed fit it would need the stud/post to be truly square the the top slide face , else it would impart a twist to the slide , A BXA has a fair size post so would not bend

So a fitt at the bottom and clearance at the top would be fine

My multifix has clearance and the instructions say a close fit is not required to the post

Stuart

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
When my mini lathe arrived. The M10 toolpost thread had been tapped by a lop sided Chinaman.  :palm:
The  toolpost, would not, clamp down flat/ square, onto the topslide.  :bang: :bang:

Eventually sorted, by drilling through, and inserting an M10 caphead from underneath.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!