Author Topic: Files Ordered  (Read 28707 times)

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Files Ordered
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
Topic Drift Alert!

You do realize, do you not, that this is exactly what the World Trade Organization (WTO) has been working towards for three decades now?  The Atlantic and Pacific Trade Treaties will make it illegal for any country to reduce profits or enforce standards that reduce profits of the key international trading companies.  This whole thing began with the Reagan Administration's Maquilladora Treaty set and has been carefully evolved over the intervening years!

Here in the U.S. intellectual property rights are dependent upon a person's (or company's) net wealth!  If you do not make the net wealth cut-off, the $40,000+ you just spent on a patent, copyright, or trademark gives you a nice piece of paper to hang on your wall, but no legal right to defend it!  [Say, Thank you very much. to Sen. Orrin Hatch -- 1995.]

As Pete Seeger sang so well, When will we ever learn?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »
Lew I'm not intersted in the political debate here. I am interested in getting to the bottom of this particular sale and advertising issue, and preventing recurrence under normal counterfeit rules.

I just spoke with a representative of Zoro Tools who sold the product. She asked for a part number, and when I gave it to her told me "we received it direct from the manufacturer," which she said was "Cooper Tools".

I disagreed and then I asked her to account for the difference in spelling between Nichulsun and Nicholson in the actual files vs the Zoro Tools Advertisement on Ebay. She kept insisting these were received direct from "the manufacturer." When I asked which manufacturer again, she then said that Zoro Tools was a Subsidiary of Grainger, and that the files had actually come from Grainger, who got them "direct from the manufacturer."

She then suggested that her team look at the files and try to determine what the issue was. I gave her my name and number and asked for a call back.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Jonny

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2015, 12:01:01 PM »
There were some good files stamped Brasil, it surprised me.

Its no defect its purely cost cutting.
Vallorbe look the same as they did 12 years ago, just don't last as long.

See anything old with Stubbs on, grab it.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »
I have no issue with parts made in other countries than this one, and agree that they certainly can be of highest quality. The issue here is a defective tool, possible advertising deception and counterfeit.

It would have been smarter of Zoro/Grainger to have taken the information seriously, and offered an immediate refund, and pulled the ads. Instead I was wished a nice day.
Steve

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
Simple - report back / file a dispute, with paypal who will automatically refund you on counterfeit goods.

However if you look on the Nicholson site they do use horseshoes  in some of their emblems, so check first with them that they are 'true' counterfeits !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
I do want to hear from the manufacturer first, Andrew.

I have never heard of a manufacturer purposely misspelling their name. That would defeat the whole purpose of a trademark.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Simple - report back / file a dispute, with paypal who will automatically refund you on counterfeit goods.

However if you look on the Nicholson site they do use horseshoes  in some of their emblems, so check first with them that they are 'true' counterfeits !

Andrew do you mean that the U's are supposed to be read as horseshoe shaped O's? If true, then these could be genuine I suppose.
Steve

RobWilson

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
Looks and smells like a knock off to me Steve ,,,,,,,,,,,,, thats is a really BAD strike for a Nicholson tool , no matter were it was manufactured .

The horse shoe theory ,yes may be of their  farrier's  range of rasps ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but on an engineers/mechanics file  :coffee:

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »
Well Rob, sometimes graphic designers can make logos very strange, so I may be eating crow shortly!

Here's what I compared it to on my original file. Notice the O is a closed O.

Steve

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
Here's something vaguely interesting. Was grinding the teeth off these files and noticed one was a Nicholson. Then there's a cheap Sunderland knockoff impostor.

This Nicholson doesn't have teeth all the way to the top.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »

Andrew do you mean that the U's are supposed to be read as horseshoe shaped O's? If true, then these could be genuine I suppose.

Yes that was my thought, but perhaps it's someone's  joke, the horseshoes being an oblique reference to the transport of the cowboy who made them  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
Hi Steve I did notice the closed 'O'  ,  the strike on your new files was done in two parts by the look of it , the Nichulsun  one , and the Mexico and the two crossed  hot-dogs the other .

Hi Simon ,,,,,,,,,,, that not a cheep knock off file  :poke: 

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
I see Simon's files have a closed O also.

Who knows? I'm starting to get tired of trying to figure it out.  :bang:

One thing is certain -- these aren't the Nicholson files I expected. Poorly cut, thinner, spelled wrong (or stylishly -- take your pick) they're a disappointment.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
Crossed hot dogs!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Hi Steve I did notice the closed 'O'  ,  the strike on your new files was done in two parts by the look of it , the Nichulsun  one , and the Mexico and the two crossed  hot-dogs the other .

Hi Simon ,,,,,,,,,,, that not a cheep knock off file  :poke: 

Rob

Just poking fun at Sunderland~

It looks like it would've been a mighty file back when it was new. But by the time I got it it looked like someone was using it to file concrete, and as a pry par since the top was snapped off. I'm hoping i'll be able to do a decent job turning it into a rasp, because I like the logo and the thought that they used to make files in this area. It's easy to forget the North East used to be an industrial powerhouse.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »
A bit more investigation with camera (glasses would have helped earlier)......made in Mexico:

Bloody cheapskate counterfeit crooks!!  They boil my blood,I tell you  :wack:  :bang:

I think the deception may go further than the rearranged 'Nicholson' design logo. I'm wondering whereabouts in China is there a place called Mexico.

I'd be holding nothing back when expressing my dissatisfaction to the supplier,Steve.

......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
Oz there's a Mexico, Maine, too!  :lol:
But we just have to find out what the heck this is: genuine quality reduction, or fake quality reduction..... 
Steve

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »
What you have there is a double cut Chiwaawaa!

Offline rowbare

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »

And by not cutting all the way to the end, they could save a little time, too.  :thumbup:

(I've had call to use the very tip of a file on special occasions, now it's not possible)

That part isn't a defect or cheaping out, they are two different styles of files (mill vs lathe perhaps?). I recently helped a friend sort out a couple of tons of NOS Stubs files at his shop and some are cut to the end, others not. While we North Americans aren't all that familiar with the Stubs brand, our friends across the pond know them well.

bob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
No, they are both Nicholson 14" double cut flat bastard files.
Steve

Offline Jonny

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »
Here's something vaguely interesting. Was grinding the teeth off these files and noticed one was a Nicholson. Then there's a cheap Sunderland knockoff impostor.

Not an imposter its a totally different NE company set up well over 115 years ago up Tyne and Wear.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2015, 09:03:10 AM »
Yes, those files aren't the subject here.
Steve