Author Topic: Little things give immense satisfaction  (Read 3857 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Little things give immense satisfaction
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:55:30 PM »
I've been working on a few issues on my Karcher MPDS steam cleaner on and off over the last couple of weeks. This thing is actually an ex forces nuclear decontamination unit loosely based on bits of other commercial steam cleaners that they make. I'll do a proper thread about it when it's all up and running, but a tiny little weenie thing gave me HUGE satisfaction today.

Each time I work on this thing I have to shift it with the fork lift. One of the control valves solenoid's had lost it's retaining nut, and it resulted in the solenoid falling off and dangling on it's wire - in danger of getting ripped off as it moves  :bang:

No sign of the nut anywhere - it's only a M15 x 1.0 mm pitch brass half nut but I had none. Careful measurement verified the size, and ten minutes at the lathe had one made. No chance of threading 'to size' as I cannot trial fit the male part while the embryo nut is in the lathe.

So where was this immense satisfaction - answer - walking out to the stable, and 'just screwing it on'. OK it should fit. I made it to fit. But we all know - especially with internal lathe cut threads- this doesn't always happen.

... only a little thing, but SO satisfying  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:09:45 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

Re: Little things give immense satisfaction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Brilliant isn't it? I made a left hand M14 x 1.75 nut in brass for my bench grinder after losing the original. For a threading tool I ground a M12 tap down to nearly nothing and took a good few spring passes and it went on smooth as silk.

Of course, I've since found the original but I've hung that on a piece of wire and continue using the one I made.

Offline mattinker

Re: Little things give immense satisfaction
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »
Ah those little satisfying moments!!

All the best, Matthew