Author Topic: A quick trick I forgot to mention in the tailstock thread.  (Read 10720 times)

Offline websterz

A quick trick I forgot to mention in the tailstock thread.
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »
I have a 4 jaw chuck but it is a PITA to set it up just to turn 1 little part like the cam for my tailstock lock. I have my 4" 3 jaw on the lathe and it is running right at .001 TIR so I hate to mess with it!  :)

You may or may not know that you can offset parts in a 3 jaw chuck by using a spacer against 1 jaw. I put the cam blank in the chuck with a flat washer laying between it and one jaw. When I tightened it down I used a marker to make a small witness mark so I could relocate the part in the chuck if I needed to. I did, in fact, remove and rechuck 3 times before I got the cut like I wanted it. Start off slowly as it is an interrupted cut, but with a sharp parting blade you can cut a very servicible cam. If it's not offset quite enough use a thicker washer, I don't recommend using more than one for safety reasons. Also stand to the side, out of the flight path just in case the washer takes to the air.  :bugeye:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: A quick trick I forgot to mention in the tailstock thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »
I've often wondered about trying that, so it works then you say... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:27:45 PM »
Yes it does work Darren I've used a number of times to make excentrics  :thumbup: but as W says you can't over do it or bits will fly.  :zap:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline websterz

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
You guys calling me "W"...that's what we called George W. Bush. Not sure it's very flattering.  :doh: Please take that in the intended lighthearted manner in which it is intended. Just call me webby or webs...everyone does.  :thumbup: :beer:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:53:17 AM »
OK Webby it is  :thumbup:

Thanks for the chuck tip  :thumbup:

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:11:36 AM »
Hi Webs,

I think it is because you hadn't signed off with any name that you were just called W.

To a few of us old timers, calling someone by their surname (yours could have been Webster) is very impolite. So W was the safest route to go until we had confirmation from yourself.

If someone uses a very long webname, sometimes it is a lot easier just to abreviate it.

Mine becomes just Bogs, or John if you are asking something technical, but BS is pushing it a little bit.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »

To a few of us old timers, calling someone by their surname (yours could have been Webster) is very impolite. So W was the safest route to go until we had confirmation from yourself.

Bogs

A few years ago when the UK was very class oriented calling someone by the surname was a way of keeping them down the pecking order. When I first started work at a Goverment run factory all the worker were refered to by there surname, there was about five different classes of canteens and wash rooms that you could only use depending on your status, and I can remember when I first went into an office job being told off when a took my jacket off on a hot day because it lowered the tone of the office.

Thankfully those days are long gone.

Stew

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »
You guys calling me "W"...that's what we called George W. Bush. Not sure it's very flattering.  :doh: Please take that in the intended lighthearted manner in which it is intended. Just call me webby or webs...everyone does.  :thumbup: :beer:

Nah. I didn't make that connection at all. I get called all sorts of things... some I wont mention in polite company!  :lol: Depending on the forum it is anything from: Eric, Brass, BM...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »
In my dim distant past when I had a job that used to take me to places like the UK Civil Aviation offices I would get really pissed off at being called by my surname.  Then I began to say "I am sorry but I think you are confused " (then pause while they furrowed their brow) "but my name is John,  Mr Hill is my father",  it usually did the trick.  Another I sometimes use but only in a light hearted way "I am sorry but I think you are confused, 'Sir' was a bastard I knew in the army".  Actually I was never in any army but I did once wear a blue uniform with an eagle on the cap.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline websterz

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
In my dim distant past when I had a job that used to take me to places like the UK Civil Aviation offices I would get really pissed off at being called by my surname.  Then I began to say "I am sorry but I think you are confused " (then pause while they furrowed their brow) "but my name is John,  Mr Hill is my father",  it usually did the trick.  Another I sometimes use but only in a light hearted way "I am sorry but I think you are confused, 'Sir' was a bastard I knew in the army".  Actually I was never in any army but I did once wear a blue uniform with an eagle on the cap.

Were you just a boyscout or were you the troop leader? :lol:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »
  Actually I was never in any army but I did once wear a blue uniform with an eagle on the cap.

Were you just a boyscout or were you the troop leader? :lol:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:41:37 PM by John Hill »

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:43:01 PM »
Goodness me John, the last time I worked on one of those was towards the end of the 60's, and that was just to wind up the rubber band.

I think the Vampire went out of service just after that. Maybe I didn't wind the band up enough.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
That would be right Bogs, about 1964.