Author Topic: Edgwick lathe  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Edgwick one

• Love old machinery and getting my hands dirty
Edgwick lathe
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
With regards to the head stock spindle on the Edgwick mark one lathe the taper is a Jarno  the size of the  taper is a number 15 a very rare thing to find in Australia

Offline mattinker

Re: Edgwick lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:31:22 PM »
Edgwick one,

Very interesting, I'm just about to get stuck into making a series of adaptors. The spindle diameter is 1 3/4" which is the smallest end of the taper, the large diameter is a little under 2", the length I haven't determined, but it is well under the 8" given for the no 15 jarno taper. I am going to imitate the taper using a dial indicator, so I'll be copying what's there!

My lathe has DL1256 stamped on the end of the carriage ways, looks like a date, I know mine is the later model with the clutch lever between the gearbox and the carriage. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have a taper attachment. Do you know how old your lathe is?

Curious to know, the potential Edgwick lathe owners club is getting bigger!

Regards, Matthew

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
Mine is DL1901. According to Tony's site, they made around 3000 between 1930 and 1960 - which puts yours (Matt) in the early 1940s, and mine in the late 1940s, assuming they were made more or less at the same pace throughout the war.

David - the number should be stamped in the very end of the front V-way - see the linked photo for reference.

Mine was initially hidden under a layer of that pea green paint...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
I recieved this PM from Edgwick one.

"Do you mean the chart or the thread indicator on the apron both are good the first is a brass plate which is easy to read do you have a manual I bought one from UK Lathe which has that information in it as you more than likely know, my lathe serial number is D26 love to see pictures of your lathe I will get a friend who has a good camera to take some picture of mine kind regards David"

Hi David,

I'm going to reply with a PM and post it at the same time on your thread as I'm sure at least AdeV is interested. The plate in question is the brass one next to the thread dial. I'm pretty sure I know what it says, but it would be nice to be sure!

This is the thread about my lathe arriving, some photos.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10758.0.html

Your lathe is a 1930's one by the number!

I'll post all this to your original thread, regards, Matthew.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:38 AM »
With the chuck removed to the tail stock it measures 840 cm
Looking at the manual a have the fixed steasy that is a original Edgwick  item  it shows all the parts in a drawing. You have a great find mine is in original colours battle ship grey the lever a red. perhaps later models were different colours. I have been told that some where in Coventry
there is one of these lathes as a static display but they could not remember where. David

Edgwick one,

I appreciate you replying to messages, but, please reply to the group. At the bottom of the post, you have a "reply" button and a "quote" button this will allow you to reply to the group and not only to me!
 I'm going to post this on the Forum for everyone.
Regards, Matthew

Offline Edgwick one

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 07:04:30 AM »
My plate is also a bit battered but I went out at 7.00pm  it was dark so hard to see I will look in the daylight and let you know what I find

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »
David,

my lathe is 1,075m between centres.  My lathe was painted with lead oxide by the previous owner. He said it was pretty rusty which was why he did it. I suspect that it had lived outside at some time!

It would be nice to see a photo of your lathe!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline Edgwick one

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
I am not very good with computers how do you up load photos to a post thanks