Author Topic: Simple paddle engine.  (Read 6083 times)

Offline mechman48

Simple paddle engine.
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
Hi

Have just about completed educational model paddle engine; a demo model to show the principle of how a paddle engine works but using a flywheel instead of an actual paddle assembly ( most probably add one later ); made from material to hand & the scrapbinium, Have att. a few pics for your viewing & hopefully a link to YouTube to see it running. the flywheel needs a case of looking at as it has a bit of a wobble but is not thick enough to machine out at the mo', have some thin aluminium on order to build up the rim so it can be re-machined true with the crankshaft. There are a couple of tidy up bits to do, make a new base, figure out the best way to paint the flywheel centre (advice welcomed) etc. ... but at least it works ok on approx 10psi air, so far I'm pleased with it..   

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Simple paddle engine.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:12 AM »
Thanks for posting Mechman,  Did you work from plans or is it your own design? I did try searching the web but found nothing resembling what you have made bar a video of a twin version with paddle wheel between. Of course, I had trouble finding it again but finally :-
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I'm guessing there must be plans somewhere, I did try Jon Toms but alas.

Thanks again
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
Hi Swarfnstuff,

Plans for my model...   :headbang:

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/50_edu.pdf

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:58:43 AM »
Thanks for the link. Seems I didn't look deeeeep enough in John-Toms site. Have duly downloaded the plans, now to find where on the list of do-ems it will fit. Gotta attempt our club challenge of a Jan Ridders Coffee Cup Stirling first I guess.   :coffee: No not that kind. There is a mid November dead line for the Coffee Cup and I still have my attempt at his Bobber that would not work for me last year and I'm determined to make it go round even if it no longer looks like it was intended. It actually tried to run today and now I am thinking my flywheel may be on the light side being made from Aluminium with lead inserts around the rim.   :zap:
John B 
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline SteveT

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »
Looks very nice would be nice to see a video of it when its working
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:14:03 AM »
Good post keep it up

Offline mechman48

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »
Steve T , & all

Short vids of my paddle engine on its test run...

George
George.

Offline SteveT

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
Looks good George, well done

Steve
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales