Author Topic: stumbled on these at work!  (Read 12344 times)

Offline bertie_bassett

stumbled on these at work!
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
hi guys thought you might be interested in this little engine and pump set i came across at work the other day. They have been sat idle for quite a while but are in good condition.

dont know when they were last used but suprisingly the engine does turn over smoothly with the crank, though its bloody heavy going.

the building was commissioned in 1929 and id say the engine and pump was origional.
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline John Rudd

Re: stumbled on these at work!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »
Nice Ruston driving a water pump?...

Envious.... :bow:

Where are you?
Be nice to visit.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
That Ruston looks like a gas-engine. The one we had at uni to study had a much bigger fly-wheel but no crank handle. To start the engine the fly-wheel was turned over by barring it with a 6 ft lump of wood. H&S hadn't been invented in 1973.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
Very nice!  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
its on a site hidden away in suffolk, not far from lowestoft,

also the building was commisioned 1924,

believe its oil powered  though iv not yet spotted the fuel tank. there is this odd tank in the corner though with a pipe going down into the concrete, and a similar pipe come up out the concrete and into the atomiser. not sure what the tap is for though?

and a few more pics
compressor

pressure vessel

bearing oilers on pump

a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
Great pics. Nice to see the details.  :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
thanks, itys a lovely engine and pump set, i only had a short visit the other day and managed to snap some pics on my phone, hopefully ill be able to get back over there in the near future and grab some more.

iv also expressed my 'interest' if they ever want to have it removed, i doubt they will as the site is no longer used, so is being left and forgotten about.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
What was the name of the Johny Cash song "One piece at a time"

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/onepieceatatime.html

Just nick it slowly
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Very nice pump set
It should be preserved for all to see
John

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
Very nice pump set
It should be preserved for all to see
John

thats my opinion too, either at a museum or on a trailer for shows. maby one day they will want it gone.  iv no idea how i would move it but im sure i would if i got the chance!

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »
thought id posted thee a hwile ago but obviously not.

found this the other day at another site.

also found a nice pair of 'grasshopper' pumps at another site dating fro 1870 ish but was too busy working to take photos

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Looks a lot like some of the water treatment plants I use to visit years ago (same area) They'll probably just end up being scrapped 1 day as that seems to be the way of the world these days health and safety and all that stuff  :doh:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
they probably are the same ones!

they will never run again as-is, but they hopefully wont be just scrapped. im sure they would happily let someone take them away if/when they ever need the space for something else. in the meantime though they will just sit there.

at least they are in the dry and are secure. so shouldn't deteriorate much

Offline hermetic

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
I once was called to an old lister genset that had been stood for about 25 years since the farm it served had gone "on the mains". Trouble was they got power cuts every winter, and the farmer asked if I thought it could be got going again.It was in a building, covered in dust but basically sound. Took out the injector, drained and refilled the diesel tank, bled it out, and cranked it..........the injector worked, put it back together again and off it went, lumpy at first, but soon settled down. When it started there was a huge crash on the tin roof as all the water in the exhaust shot out of the "flue and came down again! the change over relays were already installed so we simulated a power cut, put a tractor battery on the start circuit, and as soon as a light was switched on in the house, the genset started, and when the last light was turned off, it stopped. Spent more time cleaning and oiling than I did fixing.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 09:27:42 AM »
I was house hunting in Cornwall back in the 1970's - looked at an old water mill, long derelict, with attached cottage. Poking about in an out building I flicked the light switch on, and a Lister Start-O-Matic generator fired up and put the light on!!!! I'm sure no one had used it in many years. I was amazed that there was any charge in the batteries after all that time - but they turned out to be ex Admiralty NiFe cells in a 24v bank. NiFe batteries retain charge reliably far better than lead acid though their internal resistance is much higher.

Ever since then I've fancied a Start-O-Matic  :thumbup:

The mill and cottage are now a trendy restaurant, or at least were last time I passed a few years back  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:05 PM »
finally managed to get back to grab some pics of this lovely pair of twins!

I particularly like the eccentrics

and if iv managed to do it right a video of one "running"  best out it on mute though as there were some noisy pumps running in the same room.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 06:45:28 PM »
What is it you do for a living, if you don't mind my asking? Only you've posted pics/video now of at least 3 stunning - yet ancient - engines... I can't imagine there's many jobs that'd bring you into contact with all this lovely machinery.

BTW, why not get in touch with the Aston Engine Museum (if the steam engine is ever to be removed/scrapped), and maybe the Museum of Internal Fire for the Rustons - they'd take them on I'm sure. Mind you, I quite fancy one of those Rustons myself...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »
im an electrical/mechanical engineer for the local water company.

a few of the sites I work on were built a long time ago and these engine are just remnants of what once was, most of the stuff has been removed over the years to make way for newer more efficient equipment.

I don't think any of these are going anywhere anytime soon, costs money to remove redundant equipment. much cheaper to leave them there until they are in the way!