Author Topic: clock gear - type of brass to use?  (Read 5723 times)

Offline jcs0001

clock gear - type of brass to use?
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
Making a gear for an older clock

A bit of a story here - I hope it is interesting to those viewing. I recently was involved in moving my mother's house full of contents as she has downsized and moved to a senior's home. Included in the belongings were three clocks - a grandmother clock, a square "mantle" clock and a cuckoo clock. I had heard indirectly that a nearby neighbour collected and repaired clocks so introduced myself and asked him about the clocks. He helped pack up the grandmother clock as it was being moved to another relative and he repaired the other two for me.

He showed me around his collection and I was amazed. He has clocks everywhere and they range from grandfather clocks on down to very small clocks - many different styles - lots of cuckoo clocks, dome clocks, wooden cased clocks from plain to extremely fancy. He mentioned that he has many packaged up as there is insufficient room in his residence to display them. His collection left me in awe.

He refused payment for repairing the two clocks. I asked if he needed any clock parts made as there was a possibility that with my two metal lathes and small mill (and limited amount of skill in using them) I might be able to help him out. I have made one brass gear in the past successfully and figure I can make more with time and care.

He has just recently provided me with the carcase of a clock (not sure if this is the correct word but it's the "guts"). It is missing a gear. The clock is a Junghans Weurtettberg two 2 jewels W200.

I need to make measurements of the existing gear and the distance between it's centre and the shaft on which the missing gear fits. I believe I can manage that as I have a number of accurate measuring devices. Care will be taken as I don't wish to damage either of the shafts or the existing gear. With those measurements I believe I can determine the tooth count on the missing gear and then create a new one. I may have to make a new dividing wheel depending upon the tooth count but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

What type of brass should be used for the gear? I would like to source the brass soon as I expect it will be the hold up once I work up to cutting the gear.  My clockmaking friend has not made parts in the past - usually he is able to source them from contacts or online.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or recommendations.

John.

Offline smiffy

Re: clock gear - type of brass to use?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
Hi ,Try this http://www.clockmaking-brass.co.uk/index.html  Hope this helps Mike

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »
Smiffy:

Thanks for the link.  That should give me a start.  I can source some brass locally and I hope that the dealer will be able to provide me with some info.  If not I can give the people in your link a try.

John.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
In all the books I have read on clockmaling hard brass was specified ,http://www.iantcobb.co.uk/ http://www.m-p.co.uk/ Medows and passmore supply clock wheel cutters and tools , I use silver steel for pinions .
Jeff

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
Hi John,
It is cz120 aka half hard brass or engravers brass. Try and use anything else and I have found it a waste of time and effort...good luck.

Offline philf

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
Hi John,
It is cz120 aka half hard brass or engravers brass. Try and use anything else and I have found it a waste of time and effort...good luck.

As Chris says CZ120 is the recommended material. The more commonly available CZ108 is too soft and a) won't machine cleanly and b) the teeth will likely bend.

I used http://www.engravamet.co.uk for my CZ120.

Cheers

Phil
Phil Fern

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the responses.  I will try to source the cz120 locally and if I can't will have to order it.

I'll make this a small project on the forum with some photos - might scare a few of you who are more adept than I but I do feel that with my equipment and skill (pretty rudimentary I must admit) I can produce a suitable gear.  Fortunately the gear is a decent size so I won't need an electron microscope to work on it.

John.