Author Topic: Repair a cast iron table  (Read 4356 times)

Offline chipenter

Repair a cast iron table
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
I bought an old Warco mill Sunday but the table has drill dents what is the best way to fill them , I have oxy acetaline and access to a stick welder but no rods .
Jeff

lordedmond

Re: Repair a cast iron table
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »
do not use any heat it will warp unless you are going to remachine it top and bottom

I wold fill with jb weld and rub down it will still be visible but better than it is now

Or contact Warco and see if they have any spares

Stuart

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »

You can fill with any number of fillers including iron fillings but  why?

Your vice will hide a multitude of vices

Regards

Norman

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
Chip, the holes in the main body could easily be machined out a bit deeper and square with a centre cutting endmill and slugs of cast iron turned on the lathe to suitable size and pushed in with a little loctite retaining adhesive. The drill holes which are partially broken out into the tee slot would be best filled with a metal filling compound like JB Weld,Belzona or you could make your own filler with a hard setting epoxy and powdered cast iron filings. I have done both types of repair I suggest above,but whatever you do I wouldn't recommend any form of brazing/welding as it will definitely distort your mill table.......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:28:43 PM »
Tried Warco gave them the sizes and when I said 1/2" tee slots , they said thats an old one we have nothing like that , I was thinking of nickle rods but if it warps I am stufed so will fill the holes thanks guys .
Jeff

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
Just ignore them
They will not have any effect on the mill
Like has been said use JB weld or similar

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:38:14 AM »
I agree with the why bother comments none of the breakthroughs will have any bearing on how the mill works and any repairs would probably look almost as bad as the damage.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »
Gotta agree with the why bother comments. Still, if you want to fill for cosmetic reasons go with the JB weld or epoxy. Either will work with some iron or preferably cast iron filings puddled in before the hardener. I foolishly caused a few divots in my X2 mill table "so no one else to blame". I used epoxy + cast iron filings. Looks better but as has been said still visible.
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline chipenter

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 03:13:46 AM »
The rest of the mill cleaned up pritty well just the table looks bad , will try cast swarf ang glue at least if will feel flat .
Jeff