Author Topic: Then the EMU arrived !!!!  (Read 11984 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Then the EMU arrived !!!!
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
You couldn't make it up  :bugeye:

Preparations in hand for daughter's wedding on Saturday - Marquee people in process of putting up the Big Top - then I get a call:

There's an EMU here

Well I thought someone was winding me up, until I went down to the field  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Then the EMU arrived !!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »
It seems that it had lept over our hedge from the A21 trunk road where it had been causing traffic chaos. Never been up close and personal with an Emu before - by 'eck they are big birds !

I managed to shoo it into the next paddock, so it was a bit further from the main road, then now what. Rang the non emergency Police number 101. They said speak to the RSPCA. RSPCA said no, it's a dangerous animal they can't deal with it, DEFRA say the same, call the animal rescue people. Animal rescue people repeat the same story and say the Police need to take charge - so down they come:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
Poor chap has no idea what to do so calls up reinforcements - two plain clothes chaps arrive. Still no idea what to do. Head scratching for a while whilst we have a cup of tea.

Then a rather concerned lady and her brother turn up asking if we've seen an Emu  :lol:

They'd reported an escaped one and had been directed to us. Turns out that it had escaped from their place at Whatlington a good two miles away and had been running down the road. Apparently it can get up to 30 mph  :clap:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:43:22 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »
Eventually she caught it and took it away in a horse box.

As I say - you couldn't make it up  :clap:

YouTube video uploading as I type - will link to it when it's cooked
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
Good grief, some very emusing (sorry) pictures there... Must admit, when i saw the thread title I was wondering why you'd bought a 3-car electric train...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »
Amazingly the only damage to the Emu was a slight cut near one eye. But more to the point, although it easily could have caused an accident on the A21 it didn't. I wasn't aware of it but apparently it caused quite a hold up before it dropped in to visit us

Hopefully these videos are now live

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »
Was this one of those buy a bride, gone wrong ???

LOL, oops just noticed it was your daughters wedding....
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
No problem Joules - I've been trying to sell her off for years, and now she has this chap I've been giving them train timetables for Gretna Green, but they've not taken the hint  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
Did you find out why the lady had an emu?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
She apparently keeps 'show chicken' that she exhibits, and the Emus (she has a pair) live in with the chicken. Apparently a fox got in and spooked the Emu's.

I know that doesn't answer the question, but there was a lot going on at the time, marquee going up, generator being delivered, 100 hay bales for seating being delivered, a full bar set up with chillers etc, so she didn't get that much attention !!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:42 AM »
That bird was a long way from OZ, perhaps it was looking for a Vegemite sandwich? Pity you could not find a kangaroo to compliment it then you would be able to make our coat of arms.  :lol:
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
I just need to find a way  of weaving it into my 'Father of the Bride' speech  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline wgw

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
Could have a variation of a hog roast?

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »

Always lots of excitement down on the farm, but this one must have been quite surprise.

Quick thinking snaps and video.
                                                                                          Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
Could have a variation of a hog roast?

I did ask the owner how many minutes per pound to cook them properly, but she just gave me a funny look  :lol:

I did once sample Emu along with other exotic concoctions at a reception at the Australian Embassy many years ago.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
All this must be a good omen!!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
The shifting of responsibility reminds me of when an American kestrel flew in the driver side window of my pickup truck while I was driving. Hit the sideview mirror, hit me in the face and landed upside down on the bench seat next to me. If you can imagine what it would feel like to get hit in the face with a small chicken at 30 miles an hour -- that was about it. I was all over the road for a few long seconds.

I had been on my way to a haircut appointment in Burlington (VT's largest "city"). It wasn't killed just stunned (as was I!), and one eye was red -- possibly hemorrhaged. Since I happened to have some leather gloves, I parked at the haircut establishment, picked it up and set it on a branch in a small crab apple tree next to my truck. Then ran inside to phone someone to see if I could get some aid for it.

I called the game warden first. He said I shouldn't keep it, it was illegal. I said I had no intention of keeping it, I wanted to get it looked at before a cat got it in the tree. He suggested calling the Audubon Society.

I called them. They said they didn't treat birds they just watched them, They suggested calling the Discovery Museum.

I called them. They said they didn't treat wild birds, they just had some birds as exhibits. Maybe call the Audubon Society. But then they told me to wait, and after a conversation someone had there, they said okay, they'd come get the bird, where was it? I described my parking spot in front of the hair place, and the crab apple tree, and satisfied somebody cared, was finally able to get cropped. When I got back to the truck, there was no bird, but a note, saying it was a kestrel, and it was being taken to the vet, and i could call a number to check on it.

The bird survived, and was eventually taken to the Vermont raptor center. The eye injury was thought to be pre-existing, which would explain why such an amzingly able flier should collide with my sideview mirror. It was an incredibly beautiful bird.

.....glad I didn't hit an emu!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Pete.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 01:42:53 AM »
That's a great story, but would you have been so charitable towards it if it had mussed your hair had it happened on the way back from your appointment?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 10:12:53 PM »
Pete, never been much of a fashion plate, a haircut every couple months by necessity. Like many guys, as soon as I walk out of the place and am out of sight I mess up my hair anyway -- feels weird to look neat. The bird would have done me a favor!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 06:26:41 AM »
Andrew,

hope all went well on Saturday.

I just need to find a way  of weaving it into my 'Father of the Bride' speech  :lol:

Rather too late (and banal) but the only two suggestions would have been:
"Flown the nest"?   
or the groom's name isn't by any chance Rod is it?  (as in Rod Hull?)

Dave   :coffee:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
Dave thanks.

Yes all went well. We had torrential rain on Friday so the setting up was a bit of a nightmare, but the Saturday dried up nicely and the sun shone - bride and I got delivered on time, groom stood his ground and they were duly spliced!

Reception went well, I wove the Emu into my speech like some nauseating continuity announcer on the TV,  and all seemed to have a great time.

There were about 40 children needing entertaining, and a pile of hay bales was a great hit. They played from 12 noon until late into the evening and there wasn't a single argument or tantrum. The bales of course got opened and spread everywhere round the orchard but were continually holding their interest. In past events we've had a bouncy castle, but this set up was actually far more effective!

This morning I managed to trailer 40 or so complete dry bales off the field before the rain started, and got them back in the barn, but the spread ones are now quite a problem to clear up  :bang: Need to wait for a few dry days to row it up, dry it off, and probably burn it. (It'll kill the grass if left)

Many people wandering about this morning with sore heads, the paddock looked like a bit of the Glastonbury festival with a village of tents and camper vans, but a communal bacon and egg al fresco breakfast under the marquee got them moving again  :lol:

Luckily that's the last daughter married off so shouldn't have to repeat  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:52 AM »
So, are you tempted to get an Emu now you have the extra bedroom ?
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline texta

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
i have a few dozen of em visit my back yard often if you want some more , one egg would make 2 good size omlettes .and they have good size drumsticks too.

johno

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »
Saw a bit of an animal rescue TV program earlier today called Animal SOS.

The animal rescuers had been called to a place in rural Sussex to capture a Rhea,which is apparently capable of running at near 40mph(bugger to catch).

At first I wondered if this was the big bird that appeared on Andrew's patch,but his was an Emu and this one was a Rhea.

They didn't succeed in catching it as it jumped over a hedge and scarpered whilst they were trying to corale it into a nearby tennis court.......The sights you see in Sussex,eh!

OZ. 
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up