Author Topic: Jag V12 cylinder head puller  (Read 9914 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Jag V12 cylinder head puller
« on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
These things are available to purchase... but having a milling machine, a nice large piece of 10mm steel plate, it seemed silly to shell out £200+ on something I could make myself...

So, a bit of CAD:

A bit of CAM:

A nice piece of steel:

Drilling the holes:

Milling the profile:

I can't show you it in use yet, it's still milling out the profile! At 1.2inches/minute, it's going to be a little while...

CNC is SO cool. OK, if I'd not gone with the fancy edges, I'd have probably had it done by now on the manual machine... but it'll look so much more expensive done this way  :beer:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Jag V12 cylinder head puller
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:20:38 PM »
Nearly there with the profile. About 40 minutes per pass, 4 passes @ 0.100" deep. I might have gone faster, but this stuff is evil to machine. It left hairy burrs all around the edges, top & bottom:

A quick lick with a flap disk in the angle grinder, to deburr, then it's test fit time. Needed to tap it on with a plastic hammer, but then the studs are only a smidgeon under the 8mm hole size that I cut:

Finally, thread the 8 outer holes M10 - that's the hardest tapping I've done in a long time. The tapmatic struggled... but we got there.

Final fit:

The long bolts push down on the head studs. The middle set of holes is attached to the cam carrier studs, which are attached only to the head. Thus, by progressively tightening down the outer bolts, the entire head is lifted bodily off the block. I couldn't resist giving it a tweak, and was rewarded by the happy sound of a head gasket letting go the grip it's had since nineteen soaking wet. The lifting eye in the "middle" can be attached to the engine hoist, to assist with lifting the head off gently when it's off the studs.

Now.... the sharper eyed amongst you may have noticed a slight problem..... Yep, it's too damn short! By nearly half, to be exact. Since I lacked the appropriate length of steel to make it in one piece, and even if I had the mill wouldn't have done it in one swipe... I'm making it in 2 pieces. Which, assuming I don't completely horlicks my measurements, will end up just the right distance apart to be welded together into one piece. Or maybe not, it'll work just as well as a 2-piece part, and not welding it will at least guarantee it doesn't warp & not fit.

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:58:47 PM »
Pretty slick, Ade! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »
Thanks! I can't claim it's an original idea... this is the simpler version, there's also a massively overcomplicated (IMHO) 2-plate version with even more bolts to turn & settings to set.

Anyway, today I managed to make the other half:

And it works! Unfortunately, I ran out of length on my bolts... time to order some extra-long ones!

Either that or I make some spacers, but I haven't got any suitable rod in stock, so tomorrow I'll have to break out the credit card again...

Oh - and the reason the tap was struggling so badly - the holes are all marginally undersize... and this is one tough bit of steel. Reckon I must have worn my poor roughing cutter out...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »
Nice job Ade. Like you, I would rather make than buy if I can (for the most part).

I am blind... What Cad/Cam?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:33:44 AM »
.....A nice piece of steel:

Milling the profile:

......... but it'll look so much more expensive done this way  :beer:

Ade - I think it would certainly win the "most expensive coolant dam" category !

Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 05:25:38 AM »
Hi Eric,

CAD is Solidworks ($lots...), CAM is CamBam ($cheap_as_chips).  What I really love about CamBam is the post-processor is so flexible that even though it's supposed to write G-code, it was pretty easy to make it write Heidenhain code which my machine prefers. There is a bit of a chunky script that runs afterwards to massage some of the features that the TNC151 doesn't support - e.g. it won't do 3D arcs/spiral milling in XYZ mode, you have to switch to polar coordinates. It's also got a thriving forum with people who are willing - and often able - to help you solve problems with it, and it only costs around £100 ($150-160 depending on exchange rate) for a lifetime license.

Dave - Yeah... I got caught short when I suddenly realised it was going to spill all over the floor.... the box of parallels were to hand! One of the best investments I ever made since I started machining - I use them all the time, on pretty much all of the machines. This is probably the least glamourous job they've done, but the lovely ground finish meant that the coolant couldn't get underneath  :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »
Have you tryed Hmsworks? I belive it is also free for Fusion 360

http://www.hsmworks.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=Autodesk_CAM&gclid=CNSDgcDk-8YCFQVbfgodta0Npw

HSMWorks 2015 supports basic and advanced strategies for CNC milling machines and turning centers. HSMXpress 2015 is a free product that focuses exclusively on 2.5D or 2-1/2 Axis milling. Both solutions provide users of SolidWorks software with powerful CAM tools in a completely integrated design to manufacturing workflow."We are excited to bring our HSMWorks customers, and the SolidWorks user community, the very best technology we have to offer," commented Anthony Graves, Autodesk Product Manager - CAM. "By offering SolidWorks users a truly integrated CAM solution we are able to help them bring products to market faster and take advantage of all the benefits possible with a best-in-class integrated design to manufacturing workflow."

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
 Cool  :headbang:

I've often made tooling to aid car repair...... Never this accurate and fancy though (needs chroming   :thumbup: )

Top piece of work that Ade    :nrocks:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:27:37 PM »
Hi Ade,

I should have recognized cambam. I use it as well. But, it looks like you have the outline of the stock in that picture... I have never been able to do that.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »
Very nicely done, Ade!  :clap: :clap:

I really like that......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
Eric - Click on the Machining folder in the tree-view, in the list underneath find & expand the Stock entry - this gives you a place to set the stock dimensions & offset from zero. The nice thing about defining the stock is it automatically sets any machining ops to full depth (so if you're not going full depth.... don't forget to change them!). It also gives you a chance to see where to put any clamps or other hold downs.

Thanks David!

Thanks Ralph - hmm, chrome? Sounds expensive, I think I'll just paint it silver....

A quick update to report - it worked like a charm! The head popped off with no trouble at all, once I stuck some 200mm long bolts in it. Unfortunately, one of the bolts has bound up & won't screw or unscrew from the plate, even with the addition of plusgas. I'll try some heat over the weekend to see if that'll shift it. I can only assume the threads have gone wonky. For future head pulls, I think I'll turn up some rods to push through the holes, a couple of them are right on the edge of the head studs (due to measurement inaccuracy). As it happens, this head, once moving, only needed the outer edge bolts turning to easily pull it free, I've heard of some which fight all the way to the end of the studs, due to rust.

And the really good news? The head is in good order & so will deputise nicely for the damaged head from the original engine - and the pistons are the right type too, so I just need to free one of those and I've got a good set of parts ready for the rebuild! Just need to buy some new bearings, cams (I want race cams), tappet shims, valve springs, valves (going larger), valve seats. head & cam studs.... then I've got to machine the new valve seat recesses, port & polish the heads, give everything a really good clean up, throw it together & see if it works..... I can't wait!
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
DIY rules! :thumbup: :beer:

:mmr:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg