Author Topic: Using a dividing head on a Bridgeport coupled to the x-feed  (Read 7517 times)

Offline Houtenkrullen

I don't have much experience with this so please excuse my lack of knowledge and use of the proper words. Some time ago I bought a dividing head which had a extra  coupling that I did not understand. I did some research and found out it is meant to mount a gear, which could be driven by a gear-train attached to the x-feed of a mill.
Recently I picked up a set of gears with mounting-accessories which I thought might be for such a dividing head and could be made to fit on mine. Am I correct? (see pictures)
Could anyone enlighten me on the use of such a contraption, other than milling spirals? Also, could this be usefull on a Bridgeport? (I also have the "angle head for the bp if that would be needed)
Any links to information about this is greatly appreciated.

These are the teeth counts on the different gears:
24(*2), 25, 26, 28(*2), 30, 32, 40, 44, 48, 56, 56 with stub, 64, 72, 80, 86, 88, 100, 127.

Thanks very much,
Peter

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Using a dividing head on a Bridgeport coupled to the x-feed
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »
But not like that on a Bridgeport, the table isn't universal.
You would also have to remove the dials off one end and work a method of mounting the driving gear.

Universal dividing heads are much like Quorn tool and cutter grinders.
Everybody wants one of the 37,854 in existence but only 3 people have used one.
John Stevenson

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »

But not like that on a Bridgeport, the table isn't universal.
You would also have to remove the dials off one end and work a method of mounting the driving gear.

John, am I right in assuming a universal table can swivel so it is fed under the cutter "at an angle"? Wouldn't that be possible with the angle attachment on the spindle so you can set the cutter with an angle to the table instead?
I understand I would have to adapt the mount, but that's where the "modder" part comes in, doesn't it?

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:42:57 PM »
Used for cutting helical gears http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f20/12023d1240173884-dividing-head-set-up-bridgeport-spiral_milling_setup.jpg .
Thanks for the link Chipenter,
I see how that can be achieved. But only for "straight" helical gears I assume. I don't think worm gears can be made this way?

Offline chipenter

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »
Iff you want spiral bevel gears a Deckel is what you want .
Jeff

Offline Pete.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »
I don't have much experience with this so please excuse my lack of knowledge and use of the proper words. Some time ago I bought a dividing head which had a extra  coupling that I did not understand. I did some research and found out it is meant to mount a gear, which could be driven by a gear-train attached to the x-feed of a mill.
Recently I picked up a set of gears with mounting-accessories which I thought might be for such a dividing head and could be made to fit on mine. Am I correct? (see pictures)
Could anyone enlighten me on the use of such a contraption, other than milling spirals? Also, could this be usefull on a Bridgeport? (I also have the "angle head for the bp if that would be needed)
Any links to information about this is greatly appreciated.

These are the teeth counts on the different gears:
24(*2), 25, 26, 28(*2), 30, 32, 40, 44, 48, 56, 56 with stub, 64, 72, 80, 86, 88, 100, 127.

Thanks very much,
Peter

Your set is incomplete. It should come with a slide rule, a white lab coat, a pot of brylcreem and a pair of horn-rimmed specs.

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:05:43 AM »

Your set is incomplete. It should come with a slide rule, a white lab coat, a pot of brylcreem and a pair of horn-rimmed specs.

Too bad, all on the scrapheap then....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:23:44 PM by Houtenkrullen »

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »
Iff you want spiral bevel gears a Deckel is what you want .
I want one anyway, but it ain't gonna happen I fear....
Peter

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »
Tha Deckle is a lovely peice of kit but out of my bugett .
Jeff

Offline trapper

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »
A friend of mine emailed me one day,said have a look at this think l have made a big mistake.A photo of a Deckel bought off an old guy who was moving into a smaller cheaper workshop.Needs clean and a repaint,still has original paint flaking off,but it was used,needs new wiring-and a cover is missing off the back,But  l have restored a lot of machines in a much worste condition-the guy wanted the scrap price of £100-and he wasn,t sure if he had done the right thing