Author Topic: Myford Stand Alternative  (Read 12778 times)

Offline Richard Lee

• Richard Lee Landscape Photography
Myford Stand Alternative
« on: August 03, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »
I would like to purchase a stand for my Myford Ml7, but prices for a new one are extortionate and I've been pipped-at-the-post a number of times on the auction site.  :bang:

Could anyone recommend an alternative, off the shelf item, please?  Thank you.

Richard

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Myford Stand Alternative
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »
Heavy teak bench from a school chemistry lab
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
One of these?

http://www.warco.co.uk/stands--trays/302798-wm-240-lathe-stand.html

Dunno how much you want to spend.... :doh:

One of these mebbe?

http://www.toolco.co.uk/pages/bakery/1022gb--1022gv-lathe-cabinet-stand-321.php

Depending on your location collection might be an option?

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »

Bit of a hike from Stroud to Kes or somewhere Back o'Skidda'! In any case, the guy probably needs a chip tray and raising blocks for a ML7.

Mine -for my S7B is on a fabricated stand and is on solid raising blocks on a 'another drip tray.

The cheapest is probably to unearth the drawings from an ancient copy of ME and have some local guy weld it up.

Wasn't there a club in Fitz Park in 'Wookington'?  I vaguely recall one.

I've actually got a '7' drip tray but it is in use but not on the Myford.

Good Luck

Norman - ex 3rd Workington( Methodist) Scouts.

Offline porker

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »
I used a stand from a Myford ML8 wood lathe with a drip tray on top. I have not looked for ages but these used to come up fairly cheap on the bay (often with the lathe) and are almost identical to the standard Myford stand albeit slightly different dimensions (a little larger I think). I paid £50 for mine (without the attached lathe). Added the drip tray and some riser blocks for levelling.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »
Depending on the length of your lathe, and what's available at auto stores in your part of the world, you might be able to use an automotive drip tray -- used for protecting garage floors from oil. I have one under my Craftsman lathe. I think it cost $10 at the local auto store.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Blitz-3-4-x-25-x-36-in-galvanized-drip-tray/_/N-25yj?itemIdentifier=475418_0_0_
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Richard Lee

• Richard Lee Landscape Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:27:37 AM »
Many thanks for all those kindly folk who took the time.

As stated in the OP, I really wanted something direct from a manufacturer's/supplier's catalogue and therefore I'm indebted to John for his contribution.

I reckon I will plump for the TOOLCO offering - it looks the business and sells for a fraction of the price of the Myford. PLUS, I don't have to go and collect it!  Seems I've benefited from becoming a MadModder, already!
 :nrocks:

Thanks again to all.

Regards,

Richard

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
One of these?

http://www.warco.co.uk/stands--trays/302798-wm-240-lathe-stand.html

Dunno how much you want to spend.... :doh:

One of these mebbe?

http://www.toolco.co.uk/pages/bakery/1022gb--1022gv-lathe-cabinet-stand-321.php

Depending on your location collection might be an option?

I have the Toolco style cabinet/stand for my lathe but purchased from Warco as a package when I bought my lathe  in 2012, they are /were one & the same. The newer Warco style look more substantial from what I can make out.
My opinion is when you get the Toolco version you substantially stiffen it with some angle iron, it will support your lathe as is once assembled but I noticed that it is prone to vibration when machine is running & it is noticeable on your work, it is also /will be 'top' heavy' I have stiffened mine by fitting a wooden shelf at the bottom between the side cabinet feet & screwed some shelf brackets from the stand sides to the garage wall; but it still needs some more support albeit the vibration has been dampened quite substantially. These stands leave a lot to be desired due to their light gauge sheet metal construction. I would spend the extra £25 & go for the new Warco style as the extra drawers will have stiffeners in for the runners, or have a friend / work colleague who is handy at fabrication to knock you up one out of MS angle & make drawers to suit, or get an old wooden bench to sit it on  :scratch:

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »
George,
PM sent.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 02:37:59 PM »
I've just 'lashed out' and bought a HobbymatMD65 from a youngster of 80. Well, he is- compared to me
So I need a stand for it and bought a Screwfix one for £50.

It's on wheels so that I can tuck it away or move it. Going to put the Myford tray on top.

Regards

Norman

Offline nrml

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
Just build a rough and ready bench from the cheapest structural timber you can buy from the local builders yard. If it is reclaimed timber or scrounged for free - even better. A large bottle of wood glue, a few screws, a drill, a saw and a screwdriver later you will have a bench more rigid than anything but a heavy duty custom fabricated steel bench. No fancy woodworking skills required and very light on the pocket too. You can make it as basic and functional or as pretty as you please.

If vibration is an issue, you can reduce it by using L brackets to fix the table to both the wall behind it (if there is one) and the floor at all four legs.

I made my main work bench this way and is way better than any of the purchased workbenches or machine stands I have. Don't omit the wood glue. It makes a massive difference to the rigidity of the bench.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
A bench for a lathe needs to be stable over time .

When mounting a Myford lathe on a bench or stand there is a serious bit of alignment needed given 4 points of contact at the lathe bed.

A wooden bench may well change shape over time due to temperature and humidity changes.

That is why some older lathes had a sort of anvil 4 point fixing.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline beeshed

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »
Plywood is adequately stable over time if of reasonable quality, not just OSB. A construction style like kitchen cabinets but using ply instead of papiermache with a  couple of braces of ply on edge is pretty strong.
For an interesting metal bench have a look at the heavy racks in Costco for about £110 which are probably available in all their stores worldwide. These are rated at about 1 ton so pretty solid and give you a few shelves and putting the top shelf in gives you a frame for an overhead drive. Replace the wire mesh with two layers of 18mm ply.
In Oz Bunnings do the individual components for these shelves.