Author Topic: Model engine building  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Model engine building
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »
I've recently opened my model engine building account by completing a Beng's Nick flamelicker engine.

The reason for me starting this topic is to ask all you other modders who build engines what are your preferred products and techniques for operations such as cylinder honing, lapping laying/marking out etc.

I am considering buying some Timesaver lapping compounds in Green for ferrous and yellow for non ferrous,but I am undecided what grades to buy.

Any comments on any aspect of products that facilitate the production of model engine components will be gratefully received from all of you....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Model engine building
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:48:23 AM »
For what it's worth OZ, there is a cleaning product here in the land of OZ called Gumption.  (Made by the Clorox mob as far as I know.) It's a mild abrasive cleaner that naturally is water clean up and some of the men in my model engineering club reckon it's the bees knees. Works well, easy to clean and if you miss the cleaning bit it breaks down and does no further work after a few minutes of running your engine. I have not tried it but thought I would pass it on.
   John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:48 AM »
I use T-Cut for lapping pistons n cylinders and port faces for oscillator type engines....
For marking out, I just use ordinary layout blue applied with a small paint brush....( washed out in thinners )

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:12 PM »
I cast on an arbor (and turned) an expanding lead lap, and well, just used an old tube of Permatex valve grinding compound I had left over from who knows when! I'm sure there are better ways and products for the purpose, but I had everything on hand at the first time, and have done the same ever since.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg