Author Topic: Hi From Cardiff  (Read 4653 times)

Offline SteveT

Hi From Cardiff
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:56 AM »
I would like to say Hi as I am new to this forum,

I make and repair clock as a hobby. My workshop is small and I have a hobbymat lathe and a bench top milling machine that I have converted to CNC.
I was recommended to this forum by Mike Flannery in the BHI Journal as he is very complementary about all you guys.
So look forward to sharing with you all.

Steve 
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hi From Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
Hi Steve  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

BHI? Is that the British Horological Institute?

Making clocks is on my wish list. I am fascinated by them... Would like to see some you have done.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline SteveT

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Hi Eric

Yes it is the British Horological Institute they have a very good monthly journal.

This is the clock I have just completed, it from a design by an American clockmaker "W.R.Smith" it has a
Harrison grasshopper escapement, all I need to find now is a nice glass dome for it to sit under.
https://flic.kr/p/x8xNn2

Steven Tyrer

Online philf

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
I would like to say Hi as I am new to this forum,

I make and repair clock as a hobby. My workshop is small and I have a hobbymat lathe and a bench top milling machine that I have converted to CNC.
I was recommended to this forum by Mike Flannery in the BHI Journal as he is very complementary about all you guys.
So look forward to sharing with you all.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome.

I love grasshopper escapements - so pleasing to watch. The clock looks great.  :thumbup: I too have an interest in clocks (and watches) but have only really started construction of a skeleton clock. I've made the pinions and arbors and that's all until I can find the time and enthusiasm to get on with it. Have you used your CNC mill in your grasshopper construction? I used my CNC to make the form tools for making my pinion cutters. I intend to cut the skeleton frames and cross out the wheels with the CNC as well.

:beer:

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline SteveT

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
Hi Phil

I have done the following on the CNC crossed out the wheels, Made the hands, Engraved the dial and made the controller's for the escapement.
Only convert the mill last September and still learning to use it properly, it's been a very steep learning curve  :scratch:

Using LinuxCnC and CamBam for my software, found the mill is now much more useful after the conversion.

Love to see some images of your form tools and how you made them.

Steve  :zap: 

Steven Tyrer

Online philf

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
Steve,

Have a look at http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7956.msg86791.html#msg86791

I highjacked Craynerd's post starting about reply 39. Earlier in the post is a video of Chris's (Craynerd) Eureka relieving attachment in use.

You will see that the roots of the teeth are rounded. The rad is limited by the diameter of my end mills which were 0.8mm. I'm happy with them as they'll be stronger.

For the wheels I intend to produce square rooted teeth. If I use multi tooth cutters I'll have to produce them in two stages - a form tool to produce the flanks and then a straight tool to relieve the tips. My first attempt will be to CNC a single point fly cutter form tool.

Phil.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:54:01 AM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
hi and welcome