Author Topic: tool post grinder?  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Pelallito

tool post grinder?
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »
Hi,
I have just put an old SB TP grinder in service. The stone that was in the machine is fairly rough. I can't read the label. Can somebody give me advice on size and grits. I think that it uses a 3" wheel. I will be using it on an an Atlas lathe.
Another newbie ?- I was running the lathe chuck in reverse while experimenting with the grinder. I seemed to remember that is what I should do. Is that the correct procedure? I am afraid that the chuck will unscrew if I do this.
Thanks for the help.
Fred

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: tool post grinder?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:03:41 PM »
Fred,

If the chuck is on good and tight, grinding shouldn't loosen it. Also some chucks had a set screw you can tighten to secure them to the spindle.

From my grinding days at work I always remeber the work turing the opposite of the grinding wheel.

Your wheel should be specked out so that it doesn't exceed the RPM of the motor and pulley arrangment. In other words if the motor is running at 2000RPM and you have a set of pulleys on there that will speed the spindle up to 4000RPM then the grinding wheel should have a max speck on it of at least 6000 or more RPM. Of course it all depepnds on the size of the wheel and make up.

I don't know right off hand were to look but a google of grinding wheels should get you what you want.

Anybody else with more info here to help out?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
Fred,

Normally, when grinding on the lathe, the chuck speed is very low, plus you are taking super fine cuts. So unless you do something very silly there is very little chance of your chuck unscrewing.

There are basic rules for direction of chuck and stone relationship when grinding internal and external surfaces, but because I am not highly skilled in the job, I tend to try the correct direction first (surface and stone running against each other) and if it doesn't give me the finish I want, I will experiment with other directions to end up with what I want. Wrong I know, but sometimes needs must.

This post just might help a little

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=553.0

One thing to take note of, dressing the stone is of paramount importance, you can't usually do much about the balance. I made my own dressing unit out of an old mag base and a single diamond dressing stick. If you want a pic, let me know.

I tend to use more mounted points rather than wheels (of course, you have to have the collet chuck to do it), and for external I generally use a 1" disk type mounted point if it will do the job. But sometimes I just can't get in and have to use the 2.5" wheel instead.

My TP grinder is normally used for truing things up to give a nice surface finish coupled with very accurate sizing, but where it really comes into its own for me, is grinding tapers for air or steam control. I get no tooling marks left on the very small surface areas, so I never have problems of leaking valves.

John

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »

Bernd- The South Bend grinder is set up with motor and pulleys for one speed. I assume it is for the correct SFPM. I will spec the wheels out at my local tool supply store for the correct speed, hardness and grain size. My lathe only allows me to screw the chuck on. I will have to make sure I don't do anything foolish. I would really hate to chase the chuck around the workshop floor! :jaw:
Bogs-My grinder is for external grinding only. I don't know if there are any attachments for it to grind the interior.
I did not know that I was supposed to spin the work slowly. I was taking measurements yesterday to make a dresser for it. I like your idea more. I would like to see that picture.
Got to go know. I will finish this tomorrow.
Thank you for the help.
Fred
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:18:47 PM by Pelallito »

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »
Fred,

I am now a bit more organised since I posted above.

Here are a couple of things that might solve your TPG problems.

The stones on here I am sure could easily be fitted to yours, maybe with a little spacer or adaptor.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_search.php?criteria=tool+post+grinder&Search1=Search

The other thing is internal grinding.
On my commercial TPG, the parts for internal grinding just screw onto the spindle after the wheel is removed. All it is like is a small drill collet chuck that accepts 1/8" grinding spindles with mounted points, as supplied by Dremel and every other mini drill set maker in the world.
Again, a little bit of chopping down and adaptor making could have something like shown below fixed on and up and running. Plus you would still have three left over for doing the right thing with.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?sessionID=QOL&pf_id=33440&name=pin+chuck&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44

I will take a piccy for you tomorrow, it is a bit late in the evening here for going out, and I am scared of the dark, too many boogie men about.

Bogs

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
Sorry it is a bit late Fred, but here are a couple of pics of my mobile dresser.

John

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
John,
Please give my Happy Mothers Day wishes to your wife and all the other ladies that put up with our eccentricities!
Thanks for the pics. I like how you made it. I will make a variation of it immediately. Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I haven't been on the computer much for a few days. My son is using it for his homework assignments a lot, lately.
Regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:39:03 AM by Pelallito »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
Is it mothers day...oh ek.... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
Don't worry Darren, another part of the world, if you remember, ours was last month (I think). So no need to go rushing out for choccies and flowers.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »
Oh I see, still missed it, live in me own little bubble here  :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 05:43:38 AM »
OOPS :scratch: :bugeye:
Fred