Author Topic: Wanted .... a hand powered shaper.  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Eugene

Wanted .... a hand powered shaper.
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »
I would like to buy a hand powered shaper; my shop is too small for a mill (or a full sized shaper come to that) and something like the Perfecto, Drummond, Cowells, Adept type thingies would suit.

Anyone?

Eug

Offline Jeff Michel

Re: Wanted .... a hand powered shaper.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:04:52 AM »
You may want to try www.martinmodel.com He can supply the castings. I've used a number of his castings in the past and they are quite good.

lordedmond

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:59 AM »
By Ekk Jeff the cost of shipping VAT import duty and collection fees would be astronomical

USA to the UK

Did you not see the flag

Stuart

Offline edward

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:59:03 AM »
I have a hand shaper that you can have. No idea of the make etc and the previous owner (my late grandfather) made a few new bits for it that I am not sure are correct. It would need a bit of work and cleaning up to make it function well.

I am not at home at the mo but I recollect it is about 12" wide and designed to be mounted over the edge of a bench.

I shan't be offended if you want less of a 'project' and turn me down!

Its in Stanmore, NW London. Free if you collect it.

Offline Jeff Michel

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
Stuart,
I did in fact see where the OP was from. And yes, you absolutely correct about the VAT and the shipping. Sometime it boils down to: How bad do you want it? and How much are you willing to pay for it? That was just a viable option I offered up. Believe me, I know what it costs I feel quite helpless when I have order to all my cool stuff from Hemingway or Reeves or the lord help me ......Myford. It does sound like Edward has offered a most elegant solution to the lack of a shaper and you certainly can't quibble about the price.

By Ekk Jeff the cost of shipping VAT import duty and collection fees would be astronomical

USA to the UK

Did you not see the flag

Stuart
[/quote]

lordedmond

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
Sorry Jeff I was not getting at you but being in engineering since I was 15 breeds a certain type of humour now two years over pension age but not been to work for 17 years

My worst case of rip off was a package from your neck of the woods that just exceeded the limit by a quid got charged the vat, duty and collection fee of 8 quid came to more than the package was before the revinue dept got there thee the into it.

Yes I do understand about how much you want need the goods I needed a quill for my mill and the only place I could get one was LMS the UK dealer did not list it shipping and the government cut then the ups collection fee was more than the quill 😭

Stuart

Offline Eugene

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
It's worse than just the UK lads, it's Wales; where men are men and sheep wear worried expressions.

Edward, thats very generous of you. Given the distance twixt The Smoke and darkest Taffland, would it be possible to post a couple of pics? I'm just a novice at this game but if it looks feasible, I'm yer man.

It'd be used for making tool holders and the like, where flat surfaces and clean dovetails are required; such milling as I've done on the lathe is pretty crappy ordinary looking.

Jeff, thanks for the link; their stuff looks good but as I said I'm a novice and that project would require more horsepower than I can generate right now.

Eug
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:14:12 PM by Eugene »

Offline edward

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
Hi Eugene

I am not at home at the moment, I will try and drag it out tomorrow night and take a few snaps and bung them up here.

Its offered without prejudice as I have never used it in anger - my late grandfather had it sort-of working but then became to ill to work it. I have no idea if it could be made to work reliably. I certainly won't be offended if you decide against, given the distance. You never know, someone might be heading your way from here!

If you don't want it and someone else thinks they can make a job of it, then the offer is open.

Offline edward

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
Hi Eugene

Pictures as promised. Its not great, but you are welcome to it if you want it. If you don't and anyone else does, then feel free to get in touch. It would need collecting from HA7 (stanmore, Harrow). I lifted it myself so not too bad weight wise.

http://s758.photobucket.com/user/paulgs/media/20150826_203458.jpg.html?o=0

http://s758.photobucket.com/user/paulgs/media/20150826_203508.jpg.html?o=3

http://s758.photobucket.com/user/paulgs/media/20150826_203519.jpg.html?o=1

http://s758.photobucket.com/user/paulgs/media/20150826_203605.jpg.html?o=2

Offline Pete49

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:46:22 AM »
I would grab it in a heart beat but the swim back may be a  bit awkward :lol:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Eugene

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »
Paul,

Gee, that's a serious bit of kit, I'd be crazy not to take you up on the offer, so yes please.

If you could let me have your address via PM, and suggest some likely pick up times, I'd be delighted to have it. Weekdays are best for me, and Mondays best of all, but as the dog said to the lamp post, I am  "at your convenience". Next week is difficult, however  the week after is just clear.

Again, thanks.

Eug