Author Topic: Merlin engine build  (Read 4088 times)

Offline John Rudd

Merlin engine build
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:07:40 AM »
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Merlin engine build
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:07:57 AM »
The first thing that struck me was all those draftsmen at drawing boards. No CAD, no Solid Works just sharp pencils and good erasers. Painstaking attention to detail without the benefits of being able to change stuff on the CAD assembly and have it translated to the respective drawing. Nope, that required a complete redraw of the changed part plus any other bits involved. Oh, and no CNC,   Just highly skilled people doing their thing. Interesting, specially for one who had the good fortune never to experience the horrors of war. My thanks to those who fought for our freedom on whatever continent we now dwell.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:53:25 AM »
My mother was a traser waxed linen was placed over the drawing and a coppy made in India ink , then it could be printed and it was blue , they were hit three times by bommers even iff it missed the drawing office the tracing moved and she had to start again , women realy did there bit .
Jeff

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
What an excellent video. Thankyou for sharing. IMHO the merlin was a very impressive piece of kit for the time, and massively successful. Rather surprised in the commentary about heat treating the alloys that the temperature was kept within 2 degrees centigrade. In those days I thought Farenheit was king. Also the speed of the turbocharger radial fan at 20 to 30,0000 rpm  WOW. Reminds me of Miss Tillys orifice  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling's_orifice) , a good piece of lateral thinking.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 04:21:42 PM »
Cheers for that bit of information Picclock,
 I quite fancied reading that book so i had a look on Amazon :bugeye: 1 new copy £999.11 or one second hand at £80, think ill try and reserve it at my local Library.

John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
Cheers for posting John, quality old film , looks like goggles etc had not been invented then lol, HSE must have been at the front ! Impressive all the quality control etc too, some of those engines and planes only ever got one run out sadly. Makes you wonder if Britain could tool up again like that these days  :bugeye:

Cheers Mick

Offline picclock

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:13:49 AM »
@millwright

She was an interesting character and a smart engineer. Won races and other stuff also. Book available for £18 - probably quite interesting but still too much for me.
http://www.fastmuseumshop.org.uk/books.html  (no affiliation).

Best Regards

piclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »
Thanks for that link picclock, with christmas getting closer i might just drop a few hints about that, it may pay dividends.

John